PDA

View Full Version : Planned further mods

utopia
30-12-2014, 10:25 AM
It may be time to move to the next level.
Its early days yet but I'm hoping, with reasonable expectations, that I'll not be so strapped for cash this year.
So now its feasible to consider doing a few mods which would seem at first sight to go beyond what most would consider appropriate/justifiable for a mere 750 2-valver.
But as I have often said, this bike is special and deserves every last bit of pampering.
So, this year I have my eyes on....
A set of Dymag or BST carbon wheels.
Maxton fork internals.
Aluminium alloy tank.
A lighter frame, in ally or ti, if such a thing is still available.
I'll probably finally fit any ally swingarm too.
A custom, single can exhaust, with ti link pipe and silencer (currently half-built).
FCR39 flatslide carbs.
Blueprinted valve timing via my (already acquired) vernier adjustable cam pulleys.

That little lot should cost far more than the market value of the bike.....:mand:

Dirty
30-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Excellent. I have a few of those on my list and one or 2 already purchased and waiting to be fitted.

utopia
30-12-2014, 11:14 AM
It wasn't you who nabbed those FCRs that were going on the forum a few weeks back, was it ?
I know I was a close second in the queue.

And now that I've got all fired up about them, the need to acquire a set has become a bit more urgent.
I've even started to plan fitting one to the Dommie too, so now I need three !!!

Scott1
30-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Utopia those mods sound great, that will be some bike if you get all that done.

My 2015 list is more cosmetic - engine casings sprayed, mine are in a shocking state but I will wait until Spring.
New mirrors, they will be the original mickey mouse specials....I'm in a minority but I think they look great and you get the added bonus of being able to see what's behind you.
Original indicators, I've got the rear, just need the front.
I've got a new teatray to go on, somebody snapped mine whilst nicking my rear lens.
Maybe some new cans, I'd love some old round termis or BOS or some of the old 105db sils.
Rear seat cowel, bought off here, waiting at the post office for me.
Open carbon clutch cover and black anodised clutch plate and bolts.
Dye the belt covers black a la Dirty's thread from last year.
Painting the wheels black is a maybe, I think 2016 for them.

I have to get my Vespa fixed first, I had a mishap on it Christmas Eve and fell off so that needs some paintwork!

We should check back at the end of 2015 and see how far we've got.

Dirty
30-12-2014, 03:15 PM
It wasn't you who nabbed those FCRs that were going on the forum a few weeks back, was it ?
I know I was a close second in the queue.

And now that I've got all fired up about them, the need to acquire a set has become a bit more urgent.
I've even started to plan fitting one to the Dommie too, so now I need three !!!

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web03/2012/9/8/17/anigif_enhanced-buzz-25954-1347139839-3.gif

utopia
31-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Damn, damn, damn.
Or rather, that is to say, er... I'm very pleased for you mate, and hope you enjoy them.:cry:

I tell you what though...I wouldn't mind a look at the inlet/outlet stubs which (I believe) came with them.
I think these are a simple turning job, so I could probably copy them easily enough.
That would then open the doors for perhaps adapting a set of FCRs from another source.

Excellent reply btw.....made me chuckle.

Mr Gazza
31-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Hey! Aint Dirty a great mover...:chuckle:

I hope this does not herald the onset of one of those horrid cheque book rebuilds Utopia.

I have always admired the way you use your inginuity to solve problems without just getting the credit card out...Neccesity is Mutha though as they say.

I would be dissappointed if some funds did not get diverted to that Commando...:D..A nice drum braked 750 would suit me just fine..:thumbsup:

popelli
01-01-2015, 08:30 AM
sounds impressive look forward to seeing the final result

Dirty
01-01-2015, 04:25 PM
I tell you what though...I wouldn't mind a look at the inlet/outlet stubs which (I believe) came with them.
I think these are a simple turning job, so I could probably copy them easily enough.
That would then open the doors for perhaps adapting a set of FCRs from another source.

No probs

Hey! Aint Dirty a great mover...:chuckle:

I hope this does not herald the onset of one of those horrid cheque book rebuilds Utopia.

I have always admired the way you use your inginuity to solve problems without just getting the credit card out...Neccesity is Mutha though as they say.

What has been listed is a bit out of the reach of most garagistas (Unless your name is John Britten, just watched a docu about him, amazing). That said if you do decide to make your own carbon wheels Utopia I'd be interested in a set :mand:

The chequebook is often, for those us with limited ability, a tool rather than a short cut. I have a couple of mods in the pipe line that are simply beyond me and my equipment so will have to be/have been paid for.

utopia
02-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Yes, I guess it does sound a bit like a chequebook modding phase.
And I may have been getting a little carried away with talk of a lighter frame....just yet anyway.
But there are some things that you just can't make yourself, like the wheels and being realistic, the frame too.
I still have a strong memory of the way that superlight NCR bike felt, and my lust for light weight has become more extreme.
But also, it'll still be cheap biking.
One M750 bought for £2600 8yrs ago, kept forever and pampered with maybe £5k of carefully chosen, functional mods. That's still only £1k per year up to now, and totally free ownership thereafter.
The benefits of a keeper are profound.
Plus it'll be like no bike you could buy and, in my eyes, will be biking perfection.
And apart from its winter partner/workhorse (Honda Dominator) it is, and will probably remain my only(working) road bike.
The whole deal is cheap as chips really. (oh, and I only paid £60 for the Commando.)
But don't worry. If I can make stuff myself, I will do.
The new exhaust will be one such item. Its a cut and weld of two std headers, plus a proprietary Y piece and Capos old link pipe. Coupled to one of my existing ti termis, for now.
And the rearsets are due for a new set of homemade baseplates, which will make them virtually homemade too.
And, I don't think you've yet seen the latest incarnation of my 22mm copper pipe luggage rack, have you Gazza ?
Not to mention the throw-over dust cover that I have recently tailored for it using a leftover "suit length" of fine grey woollen cloth, left over from my mother's dressmaking. It even has taped holes to take the handlebar ends, and darts to give it some shape.
The other day I came across some old, heavy, galvanised steel pipe (I actually dragged it out of a hedge) which will become part of my new frame stands.
Oh, and now I come to think of it, there is actually a diy element to the carbon wheels as I won't be entrusting tyre fitment/changes to anyone anymore.

Mr Gazza
02-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with you as always Dirty old chum.

I know exactly what you mean by using a card as a tool, from my days as a freelance Jet-setter. I was often sent to exotic locations abroad to mend big expensive Yachts. I could only take a bare minimum of tools and materials, so I did literally regard the company card as one of my more usefull tools. But it has to be used in conjunction with good old fasioned inginuity or head office goes ballistic!!

The kind of cheque book special I am against is the one where it is all too obvious that the owner (builder) has just gone through the catalogue and picked some pretty things to bolt on.
Those things will almost certainly be bright and garish and not necceseraly match each other or the donor bike. Nor even serve any useful purpose.

I am confident that Utopia does not fall into this criteria as he is seeking to create something that needs expensive exotic materials to achieve.

Knowing that Utopia and Capo are good freinds reassures me.

I have a little idea of some of the major mods that Capo has done and logic tells me that these could not have been achieved without some considerable funds. But look at his bike and it is not flashy or gawdy or distastful in any way. Take a closer look and you will see great ingenuity and even modesty..By which I mean things like an alloy frame powder coated so it looks normal, and a carbon tank sprayed so the carbon is only visible through the lettering and pinstipes.....That's just pure class..:D

Mr Gazza
02-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Snap...we posted together..:chuckle:...Glad to hear that the old Utopia is still thinking straight..:D

Can't wait to see the copper luggage rack...I gave up when I scored some throwover panniers.

Oh and would you take £70 for the Commando?

Dirty
02-01-2015, 12:59 PM
But look at his bike and it is not flashy or gawdy or distastful in any way. Take a closer look and you will see great ingenuity and even modesty..By which I mean things like an alloy frame powder coated so it looks normal, and a carbon tank sprayed so the carbon is only visible through the lettering and pinstipes.....That's just pure class..:D

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: and it's not a monster! :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Mr Gazza
02-01-2015, 01:16 PM
In what way is Capo's S4R Monster, on the September page of last years calendar, not a Monster????:scratch:

Dirty
02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
In what way is Capo's S4R Monster, on the September page of last years calendar, not a Monster????:scratch:

It's an S4Rs I think and by his own definition ie, if it was designated a monster at the factory it is a Monster. The bit that was designated is presumably sitting in his garage somewhere, replaced by a nice light 3rd party, non Ducati factory, frame :rolleyes:

Incidentally I might add here that I completely disagree with that definition but I have to admit that when it comes to the technical aspects of Monsters Capo is most definitely the expert. :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Mr Gazza
02-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Aw stop it, you're making my eyelids feel heavy....:dizzy:

Dirty
02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Ah sorry about that. On the plus side I do like the road runner cartoon thing that isn't road runner :)

Mr Gazza
02-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Yes, taken from WW2 aircraft nose art I believe..Along with the teeth on the 'pan.

Goofle
02-01-2015, 03:56 PM
My 2015 list is more cosmetic - engine casings sprayed, mine are in a shocking state but I will wait until Spring.
New mirrors, they will be the original mickey mouse specials....I'm in a minority but I think they look great and you get the added bonus of being able to see what's behind you....

What a unique wish!!!

My 'to do list?
Get the thing running again and actually ride it!
Oddly enough I said a couple of days ago to Lady Goofle I'm hoping to get more use out of mine this year, make it first or second choice bike rather than fifth (behind three others including a Chinese 125 and the local service bus!
Last year I think I had two runs on it of any length - one around Mid Wales which I really enjoyed and half a trip to Cumbria - half because I returned on a yellow recovery truck!
I've been 80% committed to buying a off road bike to try green laning on. I've just this afternoon decided to bin / postpone the idea and use the cash to get the Ill Monstro well again!
He will live!