PDA

View Full Version : M900 Fork Length/Rate

Nasher
29-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Hi all.

Can somebody do me a favour please and measure how much front fork stanchion is showing when their early 900 is sat on just a rear paddock stand with the weight still on the front wheel.

After a great ride out yesterday I put mine up on both it's paddock stands and noticed just how much the front forks extended when I put the front up, and since I've had it I've thought the front end feels a bit soft.

My last bike was a heavy old Z1000H that I fitted GSXR1100 upside-downies to, and they didn't extend anywhere near as much when the weight was taken off the front.

Thanks

Nasher.

Nasher
31-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Nobody:cry:

Can somebody point me in the direction of some data anywhere that would give me an idea of what it sould be?

Thanks

Nasher

Flip
31-12-2014, 10:20 PM
It'll probably vary between bikes and how people have set their pre-load or what spring rate that have fitted along with general wear and tear over the years.

But that measurement is all to do with Static Sag i.e: the amount of suspension travel without a rider but it should be somewhere between 20 and 30mm I would think for the front.

The trouble with it is to get the correct sag with a rider may mean altering the ideal static sag by adjusting the preload if the incorrect spring weight is used which is quite likely to be the case if it is on standard springs and you are either over or under their designed rider weight range.

There is a way of measuring out the 'stiction' that is inherent in telescopic forks by using this method of measuring:

http://www.sportrider.com/ask-geek-set-your-static-sag

Nasher
04-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks Flip:thumbsup:

We really should arrange that ride out when the weather is a bit more predictable.

Nasher.