PDA

View Full Version : two problems, one picture!

JMH900sie
20-12-2014, 07:31 PM
heya guys!

Can you take a look at this pic please:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/Airsoftman227/49D310EF-3B09-4FA5-B8FE-3FE18DE167C0_zps7h7yuznh.jpg (http://s725.photobucket.com/user/Airsoftman227/media/49D310EF-3B09-4FA5-B8FE-3FE18DE167C0_zps7h7yuznh.jpg.html)

1: there seems to be some milky oil buildup on the back of the sightglass...... its been there since i bought the bike, and just thought it was because the bike hadnt been used in a few months.... what else could case this?

2: the thing at the bottom looks like a temp sensor, or a sensor of some sort. THERES NOTHING CONNECTED TO IT?! is this correct?

thanks guys!

im going to be servicing the bike with new filters, oil and plugs after xmas :)

Joe

Mr Gazza
20-12-2014, 07:51 PM
The milky stuff is most likely condensation or a residue of oil/water emulsion.

Your oil change will help matters a lot, but it is also worth checking the crankcase breather behind the rear pot, and the hoses. They can get gummed up apparently....I need to clean mine this winter too as I get a bit of condensate on my window aswell. A good long run that warms everything right through sometimes clears it, but not permanently.

My Sie has no sensor on the strainer cap, and nor does Steviel's either as far as I can remember (The only other one I have actually seen in the flesh).

My oil temp sensor is on the inlet rocker cover of the front pot. If you have one there, then I think that the strainer cap one would not be needed, but i believe later engines do have both.?

Mr Gazza
20-12-2014, 07:54 PM
While we are here....Stoopid question.

Does the bolt beneath the strainer cap (at right angles) have to come out to remove the strainer cap?...What does it do?

JMH900sie
20-12-2014, 08:01 PM
always one to help arent you :).... Im not sure what you mean pal, elaborate...... :)

Saint aka ML
20-12-2014, 08:25 PM
That sensor with missing wire is for temp sensor of oil that shows on the dash (not for ECU oil temp).

It is not needed for correct operation just shows oil temp for the user :).

Milky residue always comes back closer to service. As said change oil, clean breathers, clean/change filter and give it a good thrashing. It will go away assuming it is a dry day thrashing as on wet it will remain.

JMH900sie
20-12-2014, 08:28 PM
But there's no way for it to display temps on the clocks? Is that why it's just left unconnected? :)

Awesome! What oil/filters would you guys recommend?

Saint aka ML
20-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Which year is it as from description it says it is a m900sie in which case you should have analog dials with small LCD displays under both speedo and rev counter. Where there is rev counter you can switch between clock and temp...... Unless as temp is not connected you cannot?

Show us photo of your dash.

JMH900sie
20-12-2014, 10:07 PM
its a 2000..... total analog clocks, no displays at all......

Mr Gazza
21-12-2014, 11:11 AM
always one to help arent you :).... Im not sure what you mean pal, elaborate...... :)

It's okay...Always willing to help an Sie owner, they are not so common and a little bit quirky..(The bikes not the owners..:chuckle:)

Sorry about my stream of consciousness type posts.!

Saint would seem to have solved the riddle though. The strainer cap sensor would seem to be redundant on our bikes, as we don't have displays on the clocks. How the sensor got there is a mystery, maybe it was fitted at the factory but didn't get the clocks with the LCD display, or the harness that would go with them?...Hence the quirky model.. lots of spec changes were happening at the turn of the Century, some bikes got them others didn't. The Sie is known for being a bit idiosycratic in this respect.

So don't worry about the absent wire, but do make sure you clean the strainer every other oil change...and have a look at the breather too...The mists should clear...:biggrin:

bluestoesonnose
21-12-2014, 04:47 PM
If you use the bike for longer trips the oil gets up to temp and the water in the cases evaporates. We notice the milky residue is we do short rides <30 miles. One ride >60 seems to cure it.

Saint aka ML
21-12-2014, 06:59 PM
He you live and learn JMH.

In which case it is a temp sensor that would have been connected to temp gauge if the engine was meant for 900ssie :)

You can buy a temp gage form that model and fit it somewhere if you want.

Dookbob
22-12-2014, 07:11 PM
it probably had an after market temp gauge and sender unit fitted by a previous owner to read the oil temp. Then when the guy sold the bike , he removed the gauge but left the sender unit because he didn,t have a suitable plug to replace it with .

Dookbob
22-12-2014, 07:22 PM
it probably had an after market temp gauge and sender unit fitted by a previous owner to read the oil temp. Then when the guy sold the bike , he removed the gauge but left the sender unit because he didn,t have a suitable plug to replace it with .

Jontifosi
20-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Take it for a thorough warm up and then leave it the garage with the oil filler cap off to the vapour can escape. Should get rid of most water vapour for a while.

slob
20-02-2015, 06:52 PM
... & the bolt underneath is just a blanking plug, no need to touch it

Mr Gazza
20-02-2015, 09:24 PM
... & the bolt underneath is just a blanking plug, no need to touch it

Fanks Slob.!!

I bought a new sealing washer for it this afternoon, as I was going to hoik it out and see what it was all about.......I won't bother now...:rolleyes:

Martin C
24-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Condensation is more likely to be apparent in cold weather, as the difference between the internal oil temp and the outside of the engine casings/sight-glass is greater, hence atmospheric water vapour inside the crankcases settles on the coldest point = sight-glass and forms an emulsified slime. A small amount is no cause for concern.

If it bothers you, you can remove the oil filler cap and use a hairdryer on the adjacent casing to boil off the water content. It takes a few minutes, and through the sight-glass you can actually see the water boiling away as the emulsification disappears - it's quite entertaining to watch (if you have nothing better to do).