PDA

View Full Version : Airbox mods

Dark-Jon
04-02-2004, 03:15 PM
To go with my new cans, I'm gettting a K&N filter to go on my bike and was wondering if it was worth opening up the airbox to go with it? If so, whats the best route, just cut the top off the original airbox or get one of the proper bits of kit like this (http://www.drdesmo.com/airbx.htm) ?

The bikes in for a service and tune at the weekend anyway so I thought I'd tackle this now.

Is it worth doing?

Dark-Jon

mick
04-02-2004, 03:39 PM
When i altered the airbox on my old 750 monster........ducati mechanic told me to cut out forward facing corners.If you remove the top you can see two triangular shapes marked out inside the lid. I cut these out and fitted a dynojet kit (stage 2) seem to work fine.

Mike

.................I wish it was summer.................

Dark-Jon
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Cool

I take it as I have an ie I dont need to worry about the whole dynao jet scenario as the ecu does all that stuff?

Cheers

Dark-Jon

mick
04-02-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure about the ECU ? Best to check with your dealer..last thing you want is it running with a a weak mixture !

Mike

................... I wish it was summer.................

JMo
04-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Jon - it depends how much more air the mods let in. The ECU can compensate to a degree (as it does when you fit race cans for example), but as you could be adding a lot more air with the top chop and K&N, you may find the fuel needs adjusting to maintain the correct mixture balance.

Unfortunately the ECU is not user adjustable (allegedly), which is why you get a new (remapped) chip when you fit the DP cans and air-filter upgrade. Have a chat with someone like PDQ in Slough, who can advise - you might have to get either a DP chip, or a Power Commander (don't know which is more expensive, but the Pwr Com is around £280-300, and can be set to improve the fuelling across the rev range).

And cut the sodding tea-tray off while you're about it!

xxx

Dark-Jon
04-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Well its going up to the Monster Shop for its 6k service on saturday and they said they'd sort out the mixture for it while they've got it. I'm presuming that won't include reamapping the whole ecu or anything quite so fancy, and I'm not spending £250+ on a remapped one, but at least it'll run better :) Besides, more induction noise is always good, the K&N on my Mini growls away like mad at full chat :twisted:

And the tea tray goes in August! Thats the final payment date and I aint doing it till then just in case I gotta hand it back :(

Dark-Jon

Matt Black
04-02-2004, 07:32 PM
I had an airbox once....

robht
05-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Dark-Jon,

When I bought my M1000 I had the dealer fitted the Termis off my 900 along with a DP air filter/airbox lid. The dealer said the fuel map would absolutely need modifying to cope with the extra air and was able to upload a new map (at no cost).

The 5.9 ECU (which your monster may have depending on it's year) has the ability to take flash loaded map upgrades - i.e. no physical chips to change. Might be worth finding a dealer that could do this for no/minimal cost.

With regard to the DP air box - it is a standard lid with the top sawn off leaving a frame to hold in the air filter. - You can achieve exactly the same with your existing air box lid - and save some money.

cheers,
Rob

Chris
05-02-2004, 11:08 AM
I have got Sil cans fitted, a K&N and have taken the trumpets off the air box (not cut the top open though) and get loads of induction noise. I have had the bike on a Dyno and according to the gas analyser it is not too lean (I'm sure a power commander would help to get the most out of it though).

Dark-Jon
05-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by robht

The 5.9 ECU (which your monster may have depending on it's year) has the ability to take flash loaded map upgrades - i.e. no physical chips to change. Might be worth finding a dealer that could do this for no/minimal cost.

Rob

It's a 2002 620ie so hopefully it will be ok. The guy I spoke to at the Monster Shop said they'd be able to plug in the computer and sort out the fueling stuff whilst he's doing the service. I'll have a more in depth chat with em on Saturday, not that I know too much about it all, my experience is with old SU carbs!

Basically I was just gonna cut a bigger hole in my current air box, probably wont lop the whole thing off, just make a bigger intake hole in the front of it.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

Dark-Jon

A Yerbury
05-02-2004, 05:37 PM
the k n filter ( the box one) replaces the paper filter and the air box in one fell swoop so no need to make holes in it as er.. it wont be there. According to those who know factory monsters run rich anyway so the added airflow should improve it without really needing to worry about carbs or in your case chips.
of course I may be wrong!

oh and follow jmo s instruction re the "sodding teatray" !

Alex.

retro
04-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Dark-Jon
To go with my new cans, I'm gettting a K&N filter to go on my bike and was wondering if it was worth opening up the airbox to go with it? If so, whats the best route, just cut the top off the original airbox or get one of the proper bits of kit like this (http://www.drdesmo.com/airbx.htm) ?

The bikes in for a service and tune at the weekend anyway so I thought I'd tackle this now.

Is it worth doing?

Dark-Jon
I believe the stock Duc filter flows very well....Filters like the K&N are used when one opens the air box to offer protection from the elements. Since the air box is a resonator, opening it will not only change the air flow but the resonance, so with cans and an open air box, leaning out the bike plus the resonant changes, one should have a way to adjust the air/fuel mix across the whole throttle range. Hooking up a Mathesis is not the ideal solution for this. Unless things are different in Europe, bikes are set up lean to meet emissions standards, and adding more flow is again making the bike run even more lean. The Duc 5.9 ECU is not flashloadable. The options are PCIII, Ultimap chip, or DP chip. There is also something called a techlusion box, and possibly Tuneboy will have something similiar to the Ultimap stuff soon. Most would say the best method is the Ultimap or PCIII on a dyno making a custom map for your bike. You guys also have Neil Spalding over there. Cheers.
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/weber.html

spacemonkey
04-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Alex, you need to retain some of the airbox lid to enable the clamps (which clamp on to the lid) to hold the filter in place. Mine has the top lopped off to look like a bodged homemade copy of the genuine Ducati part, which it is. It works fine. I have heard that you should leave a good lip at the front to prevent water ingression due to it being exposed directly to the air coming around the headstock, but I didn't,and it hasn't.

A Yerbury
05-03-2004, 10:31 AM
i also didn't and it hasn't! I know the 4 clamps are still there (replete with easily lost pins) so perhaps some of the lid is there. Ill check.
btw new takeshi sword epic on the horizon. bits are being champed.
alex.

Eug
05-03-2004, 11:33 AM
I've got a Ducati Performance airbox lid which I'll flog for a fiver to the first willing contestant ...

Came with my DP air filter but I didn't like all the noise.
Also had sh!t mid-range.
I can just remove one of the snorkels if I want more induction nose !

PS I've got a M600 not an ie.

grunter
05-03-2004, 12:32 PM
have it eug?
yours
grunt