PDA

View Full Version : heated grips/gloves

EZrider
09-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi

As i am very new to riding bikes Just wondering for heated grips or gloves is it possible of just using or plugging it thru optimate charger port . because all the one i see online wants it connected to the battery.

Thanks for any help and advice

AndyC_772
09-12-2014, 09:08 PM
You can power them from the charger port, but bear in mind that the connectors aren't usually waterproof. If you have the connector uncovered and ride in the rain, it won't last long.

Much better to run a proper cable to the battery IMHO.

Cobra88
10-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Hi Ez

I have the Oxford Sport grips powered through the optimate port.

I have a length of unshrunk shrink wrap over the plugs and zero problems

EZrider
10-12-2014, 10:13 AM
thanks, i bought the bike about a month ago and found what i think must be a port for the trickle charger (white box connector with a cap) . If it saves me getting to the battery that would be great coz the cold fingers are really painful when riding. wondering is there a conversion lead i can use for the old optimate style port to heated gloves? I tend to avoid riding if i know it is going to rain, it'll be rare for me to ride in the rain if water proofing is going to be an issue.

J.P
10-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Worth also looking into the heated gloves that are on the market.
I'm a big fan of Exo2 which I've had for years. Heated Gloves are better than heated grips because of the better/wider heat coverage. The cables are fiddly but I wouldn't go without them.

J.P
10-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Or these,
http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/

bluestoesonnose
12-12-2014, 05:32 AM
The GF has Oxford sports grips (connected to the battery) and Acerbis guards on her M750 and rides all year with summer sports gloves. You have to remember to turn the grips off or they'll drain the battery, or (if you can be inclined) wire them into the fuse box so they turn off with the ignition switch.

On my monster I wear two pairs of gloves (winter and thermal liner) and suffer cold hands. Heated grips are on order.

NewMon
12-12-2014, 06:35 PM
I also have the heated grips and acerbis guards and they are great. I wired a small automotive relay into the ignition circuit to make sure they could only be on with the ignition. The relay sits under the seat with the others. Before I fitted the relay, I was paranoid about leaving the grips on.

Dirty
12-12-2014, 08:15 PM
I just got a new scoot with Oxford heated grips and the new intelligent controller switches itself off so doesn't need to be connected to a switched live any more. I was a bit uncertain at first but I'm forever leaving them on and they haven't killed the battery yet.

Nottsbiker
15-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Only problem I've encountered with Oxford grips on my old Tuono was that one side was always colder than the other. Think it was clutch side as its got to try and warm the entire bar where as the throttle side has the plastic tube as an insulator.

I asked Oxford about it and they weren't interested.