PDA

View Full Version : dilemma

peter
04-12-2014, 07:38 PM
really really want to make my s2r mine, but
its going to cost me a fortune, at least 3-4 grand for what I want.
bought the bike last year for £2500 and spent £1000 on it already and it looks pretty standard still.
so sell and get what I want and probably be worth more when come to sell.
or spend my life savings and get what I want, probably will still be worth about £3000.
?

Nickj
04-12-2014, 07:50 PM
What'll give you the most satisfaction??

Dirty
04-12-2014, 08:01 PM
What do you want?

I've spent far more on mine than it will ever be worth but that has got me a bike that really feels like mine and is unique to me.

Flip
04-12-2014, 08:22 PM
I've had my '97 900 fourteen years and it's still 'work in progress' but I love it and would never even think of selling it.

You mention the word 'sell' twice in your post- what would you swap it for and why?

My most expensive mods don't even show- fork internals and rear shock but the bike is like chalk and cheese as a result.
Some of the best mods in my mind are the little things like home made brackets or simple adjustments to make it 'feel' better that only you know about.

A lot boils down to what you want from a bike but at the end of the day you have a Ducati Monster- we all have preferences but it doesn't really matter which model, it's a bike that many perceive as being far more expensive than they really are, can flatter your riding in a way only a Ducati twin can while looking just as cool parked up outside a trendy coffee shop.

The Monster was always sold as a 'blank canvas' for owners to personalise (much as the new Scrambler is being marketed) but those that throw their credit card at the accessory catalogue one go are missing the point in my mind, instead they should be letting the bike evolve with them over time.

Mr Gazza
04-12-2014, 09:51 PM
You're right on the mark Flip.

I've only had my current Monster for about 17 months and I'm already in "negative equaty"
and will never recoup what I will spend on it...That's not the point...I love it, she makes me smile every time I see her, and grin from ear to ear with every ride.

Aviatore
05-12-2014, 09:27 AM
I second what Flip said. Totally depends on what you want your bike for, and if you're making that bond with it by turning the wrenches (spanners?) yourself. I was perfectly happy on my '04 BMW since new. Wasn't an exciting bike but I love it. I've done many test rides at my local dealerships. I'd never found a bike which spoke to me as mine did... Until I rode the EVO. Normally I wouldn't condone having a mistress but for that curvaceous red seductress... Hells yeah!

I won't sell either bike, each holds a special place for me and if they never become modern classics or are worth as much as I put into them then so be it.

If you're not sure then don't spend the money, have a blast on it in your own way, if that means trashing it doing burnouts then please tell me when it's dead so I can get some cheap parts! :-P Bottom line is ride how you want, spend what you feel is right for you.

utopia
05-12-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm the same......8yrs and counting (to infinity).
I've wanted a 750 monster since 1973/4, and they didn't start making them until 20yrs later !
Its market value is now under £2k but as soon as I have the spare cash its getting carbon wheels at £2k a pair, followed by a frame in ti or ally one day, and the fork internals will be Maxton items at £600 or so.
It really doesn't matter what the cost is now, the bike gets what it wants.
Nothing frivolous mind. Only parts which will make it even more perfect are allowed....unless frivolous means spending a whole day making a simple little bracket into a piece of engineering artwork, in which case I'll happily put in the effort.
Flip sums it up really well.
And since the bike has stopped depreciating now, the cost of keeping it is minimal. On a new model I'd probably lose the value of my carbon wheels simply in depreciation in just the first year or two if I decided to swap. So actually its a cheap bike to run.
And the 2-valve monsters make particularly good keepers for the home mechanic as access for maintenance is so beautifully simple.
Similar to your S2R, my 750 has enough power for my needs, on the roads I like to ride, so next year's more powerful model never really tempts me.
Obviously, its your choice, but if you do decide to keep you'll not be the only one who thinks that way.

ps. I never did get back to you about that handlebar clamp did I.....sorry, I was hoping to meet and discuss at Silverstone but it didn't work out.
Feel free to pm.

Funkatronic
05-12-2014, 02:29 PM
have you seen pegboys s2r1000?

bluestoesonnose
05-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Me, do what you want, when you come to sell remove the "fruit" replace it with the std stuff (std bikes sell better) and then sell the after market parts.

Or just keep it and keep modding it!

peter
09-12-2014, 07:46 PM
always wanted a aprilla mille.
but every time a go Into the shed the s2r makes me smile and no other bike I have had as really done that.
so ill be keeping it and spending stupid money I guess

steeevvvooo
10-12-2014, 07:30 AM
I was thinking the same before I eventually fold my S2R1000. I ended up with a 1098SF for a little while before going back to an M1100. My man maths went something like this:

I love the S2R, but have had it for ages and that’s not like me (was actually the longest I have ever owned any vehicle at 4years ish!)

The new monster 1200 looks fun… but it’s a lot of £££ for the S model

Instead of spending £10k part-exing my S2R for the 1200… why don’t I spend a few grand making it an awesome café racer?! Yes, that’s definitely more sensible…
- Carbon wheels priced up
- Rizoma clip ons and yoke (bought)
- Re-spray (days spend dreaming up colour schemes)

In the end I sold the S2R and got the SF1098 as on paper it wasn’t far off the equal of the M1200 (more modern than the S2R, more raw than the 1200 as all that power with no electronics etc. I like the styling personally but know it is a bit marmite…) but didn’t gel with it and ended up selling and buying a M1100 with all the S bling added.

In short, we all have these thoughts at some point and man maths can make anything possible. If it really is a keeper then spend away!! Have fun :thumbsup: