PDA

View Full Version : Saw this petition...

solomoto
02-12-2014, 12:34 AM
I see by the date its been around a while, just wondering if anyone was interested.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/dont-move-near-a-track-if-you-cant-put-up-with-the-noise/25960.html

:)

Dirty
02-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Agree 100% . It is ridiculous that the law currently allows you to complain if you move next to somewhere that is noisy. This should apply to anything inc airports, stadia etc.

Darren69
02-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Agree 100% . It is ridiculous that the law currently allows you to complain if you move next to somewhere that is noisy. This should apply to anything inc airports, stadia etc.

It probably won't stop them from closing Mallory Park because from what I can gather, a lot of the council live around there and it is affecting property values.

Aviatore
02-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Anybody know if I'm allowed to add my voice to this? As an avid rider and a pilot that has seen too many "after the fact" complainers kill airports and nearly kill bases it riles me up like few issues can.

I ask only because I know I can't vote as a resident but wouldn't a petition to bring about a debate be completely different?

Dirty
02-12-2014, 09:00 AM
It probably won't stop them from closing Mallory Park because from what I can gather, a lot of the council live around there and it is affecting property values.

Or in other words they bought cheaply, because of the noise pollution so if they can kill the noise their property values soar!

Anybody know if I'm allowed to add my voice to this?

Anyone can sign the petition

Aviatore
02-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Sweet, I'll be doing that.

In Phoenix Arizona we had a similar problem, base had been out in the middle of the desert since the 1940's. In the early 2000's unscrupulous land developers bought up the very cheap land surrounding it, built entire planned communities, some really nice looking neighborhoods and would systematically show the homes on Sunday, the only non flying day of the week.

People would buy at the premium asking prices then complain when flying operations resumed. Was bad enough that the base was considering closure taking with it many millions of dollars and a few thousand local jobs.

A group of concerned citizens formed, petitioned like crazy, and were able to succeed in getting signs put up that informed people they were near an airport. The second part was to try and enact the same no complaining policies... I left before finding out how that turned out but the base is still there and the property values slumped to what they should always have been.

Dirty
02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Anyone can sign the petition

I should qualify that statement. Anyone either UK resident or British citizen may sign, which still qualifies you :D

There is another petition which is dear to my heart having recently had a bike stolen. I know we far too often see threads on here about stolen bikes.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/petition-requests-police-take-motorcycle-theft-more-seriously/25961.html

utopia
02-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I seem to remember that, when you buy a house, the solicitor does a local search to identify any planning/development issues which may affect the property.
Surely a race track is just another one of these, except its hard to miss as its already there.
So, what grounds can people have to complain later on when they don't like the noise ?
Surely they should already have been advised about it....or has the solicitor taken a fat cheque without doing a proper job ?....in which case complain to them....and sue.
And if local councillors are trying to line their own pockets they have no excuse whatsoever as they clearly already knew the score. The mere attempt should bar them from public office as they are clearly selfish and corrupt. Put 'em in the stocks and pelt 'em with rotten vegetables I say.

Of course, on the other side of the coin, the phenomenon of the trackday has significantly increased the frequency of noisy days beyond their original design levels.

I believe Mallory has reopened for this year, but on a reduced number of noisy days, which has subsequently been still further reduced for next year.

bazread
02-12-2014, 11:19 AM
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/petition-requests-police-take-motorcycle-theft-more-seriously/25961.html

Both petitions signed.

solomoto
02-12-2014, 08:42 PM
I signed both.

Flip
03-12-2014, 02:30 AM
Almost all the UK circuits have had issues of complaints to their respective local Councils from what I can tell and it is not just based on the noise, although of course that is often the initial cause of the complaint. Further to the noise there are many complaints about the added traffic passing through what in many cases (Kirby Mallory, Lydden Hill for example) are small villages.

Even Goodwood (which is local to me) with both the motor circuit and attached airfield (previously RAF Westhampnett) has to abide by ever tightening local restrictions since the increase in new houses around the area despite Lord March's love of motorsport and aviation.

Looking at it objectively I suppose it is not helped by people (both bike and car track day goers) travelling through these built up areas as if they are still on the track rather than using a public road which to non enthusiasts can seem rather antisocial in the same way as the boy racers do in towns and cities.

Before anyone shoots me for saying that I'd just like to say I know only too well from my classic racing how the local authorities imposing tightening noise restrictions on the circuits affect club racing with competitors having to modify or change exhausts to meet noise limits and so I agree if people don't like it then don't move near a race track or airfield.

Dirty
03-12-2014, 06:10 PM
To be fair Goodwood stopped racing for many years. The recent event has grown from nothing into one of the biggest non competitive car events on the calendar.

Aviatore
03-12-2014, 07:22 PM
I was looking at the petitions again this evening to see how much progress had been made, especially about the vehicle theft. As I dig in the forum there seem to be a lot of posts about bikes getting stolen and it's got me a bit paranoid.

I was wondering if there were limitations on resubmitting a petition? With only a month left and about 2000 signatures I think the petition won't achieve the required numbers.

I propose we try again in February with a few changes. I thought that maybe we could resubmit it after contacting other forums, clubs and dealerships to get the word out so we can achieve the required numbers. I'm sure other makes and brands are just as concerned with this problem. I also propose that we make the petition a bit more specific so that if it does get to the MP's they don't just blow it off or do a half measure.

For example:

Petition to change the (Police and criminal evidence act?)

1. Motorcycle and vehicle theft is a very real and serious problem with large sums of money involved as bikes can represent investments of tens of thousands of pounds.

2. Upon the reporting of a motorcycle or vehicle theft the police may not close the investigation prior to 6 months, the reported VIN and registration number will be logged and will be maintained in a national "stolen vehicle" database until it has been recovered, even if the investigation is been closed.

3. An IT contract is created and funded to hire a company to write programming that accesses the national motorway registration plate recognition camera system, DVLA databases and national police theft reports to cross check via computer the vehicles passing the cameras against reported thefts. Matches are sent to the local authority for action.

4. Outbound shipments companies and exporters are required to disclose to customs and border control who must cross check the VIN numbers of all vehicles departing the UK with the police theft database.

5. Tougher penalties for dealing knowingly or possessing stolen motorcycles and vehicles or their individual parts.

Basically make it government proof by stating exactly what we want, and then go full court press with as much ground swell support and friends of friends of friends that we can muster.

Thoughts?

Dirty
03-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Sounds good.

I think I'll propose you for UKMOC political officer :)

Flip
04-12-2014, 01:16 AM
To be fair Goodwood stopped racing for many years. The recent event has grown from nothing into one of the biggest non competitive car events on the calendar.

This is true but doesn't get away from the fact that even when the Festival of Speed started twenty years ago now there were only a handful of the original houses neighbouring the circuit and airfield which over the last few years have increased significantly.

Previously the circuit used to be quite busy with various car clubs and bike track days (mostly run by the then local Ducati dealer) all at fairly reasonable prices due to their policy of X number of vehicles on track at one time for a set amount of laps thus keeping the noise down and everyone happy.

And so since the increase in popularity of the 'Festival' events the circuit is now bound by local by-laws to limit the number of events and it's allowed number of 'noisey days' making any further track days there the reserve of invited clubs or well off individuals hiring the circuit for sole use of their supercars.

Aviatore
04-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Sounds good.

I think I'll propose you for UKMOC political officer :)

Da comrade Dirty, I vill be verkingk on dis for the Dewkati Polit Bureau.