PDA

View Full Version : Learning to swear : )

sukhoi356
01-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Afternoon chaps and chapessesss : )
So had my (new to me)Monster booked in for an MOT this morning at 8am, couldnt start the bloody thing,flat battery!!!
Rebooked the mot for this afternoon at 4pm after hooking up the optimate 3,was just checking everything and the back brake light wasnt working! Now that must be the most awkward and most stupid place to put a switch and then its 11mm : ( got it working and sprayed with wd40.
Indicators check! lights check! Back brake check! Front brake ffs! not working but switch had only popped out of the mounting holes phew!
Green light on the optimate:spin: tried to start it and....................nothing... ffs........... again!
So unhooked the petrol tank to find the battery cells all at the lowest level...ffs! Topped up with distilled water and hooked my brand new optimate 4 up, so i'm just waiting for it to do its magic but it might not be ready at 4pm:dunce:
So while i was waiting i took the headlight to pieces and polished the glass:thumbsup:
I'm glad I work in the railway and already know some swearwords lol
Alex

Darren69
01-12-2014, 01:29 PM
I would also check that it is charging correctly if at all, and also not overcharging. These are both common faults and an opportunity to learn some more new swear words :)

sukhoi356
01-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Cheers Darren, whats the easiest way to check?
Alex

FLATTOP
01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm glad I work in the railway and already know some swearwords lol
Alex[/QUOTE]

Afternoon Alex I work on the Railway too if you run out of swear words do get in touch as I have an A-Z of slipping the C word into any conversation :Furious:

I am a Mobile Ops Manager for NWR on the Thameside region by the way busy area.

Good luck with your Bike you always get these niggly probs when you get a new Bike.

sukhoi356
01-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks flattop, I'm a driver with First Scotrail soon to be Abelio and appreciate your kind offer lol
Alex

Mr Gazza
01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
So did you get there??.. Did it pass.??.

sukhoi356
01-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Nope had to postpone til tomorrow at 2pm, battery still not charged : ( The optimate says no!
Alex

Mr Gazza
01-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Doh...!. Good luck tomorrow..:)

sukhoi356
01-12-2014, 09:00 PM
It looks like the battery is fooked!
been on charge for 10 hours and still charging at 0.8amps. Methinks the "intelligent charger" is stumped!
We'll see if its got enough oomph to get me to the mot station and back : (
b*lloX

Darren69
02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
You just need a multimeter to check the charging, obviously you need to have the bike running in order to test it. It needs to be more than 12v in order to charge probably 13-13.5v ideally and should not go much above that when the engine revs up otherwise it is overcharging.

sukhoi356
02-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Cheers Darren,
took it for its mot, it PASSED!:mand:
Optimate 4 said yes after being on charge for 24 hours : )
It wont idle, I dont know if its because its got a termignioni race exhaust and dynojet 2 kit with K&N filter!
I'll check the electrics out next time i get a chance but it was +1 degrees here in Scotland this morning and i just followed a gritter back from the mot station to my house : ( so it might not be soon.
Alex

Darren69
02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Optimate can sometimes recover deep discharged batteries, but it is probably time to start thinking about replacing it with a dry cell sealed type. Motobatt are recommended by many on here, myself included, much better cold cranking power and easier starting and no acid to spill everywhere on your engine and paint. Obviously check your charging ok first.

DrD
02-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Check out Kato's thread on Regulators and Charging in the Electrics forum or this
https://www.electrosport.com/media/p...ng-diagram.pdf

Bike should tickover on full race system even if a bit lumpy

Mr Gazza
02-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Congrats on the MOT.
I hope you washed all that salt off as soon as you got home, and put her away clean and dry.

I can vouch for the virtues of a Motobatt. I think coventional lead acid batteries are horrid in the extreme, especialy when they get a bit past it.... make sure your breather hose is connected properly and routed away below the bike. Preferably store the battery off the bike if you are planning a lay up, even just for a few months. Sounds like it will be in the bin soon anyway?

I don't see why Termis and a jet kit should be an excuse for a poor tickover. If you are jetted for Alcohol and have lightened flywheels then maybe.? Other wise it should tick over at a smidgin above 1000rpm and pull smoothly from that.

Poor valve clearances have been atributed to tick over problems among many other factors that effect it...Sounds like a good seeing to would do no harm...;)

Darren69
03-12-2014, 09:00 AM
I've a lightened flywheel in my S4 and it ticks over fine. I've had jet kits and termis on previous carby Ducatis again had no problems with tickover, even with the jet kit needles incorrectly set to 2 different different heights by the previous numpty owner it still ticked over fine. They can be a bit lumpy when cold so always good to leave it running on fast idle to warm up. Is it injected or carb model?

sukhoi356
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Hey Darren,Carby model,seemingly just serviced with belts changed but the lady who i bought it off has some family **** going on and i dont want to hassle her at the moment : )
Alex