PDA

View Full Version : Wire Spoke Wheels for Ducati

Byron Kauffman
03-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Hello everyone.
If you remember I was working on putting wire spoke wheels on my Monster.
I have found exactly what I am looking for. Back in the early years of the Monster, Ducati had offered a wire wheel upgrade in their accessory catalog. These are the same wheels, aluminum Akront rims, chrome spokes, aluminum hubs with machined aluminum bearing carriers.
The seller has the remaining inventory (200 sets) and is selling them at $2500. US per set. He will work a price deal if he sells 5 sets at a time. With the UK to US exchange rate this is a pretty good deal on your side. Something like £1400. or even less if we could get 5 sets purchased.
I know it is still a lot of money, believe me I know. I have been researching this for quite a while and I dont think all the parts can be sourced and assembled much cheaper. The rear bearing carriers to fit Ducati are the tricky part.
They wiill fit any modern Ducati, Monster, 900SS etc. see photo attached.
I am thinking long and hard about this and just thought I would let the group know.
If anyone is interested just let me know and we could save a little money.
best regards,
Byron

CK & AK
03-02-2004, 05:46 PM
talon do these spoked wheels too

talon-eng.co.uk

were at alli pali show and had them there no idea of price tho.

a

Pedro
03-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Think Talon want around £1250 a set

Ped

CK & AK
03-02-2004, 09:20 PM
so talon is cheaper then:twisted:

claicerrig
03-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Sorry i know its off topic but Byron is that location genuine ?

If so do you fancy meeting up during bike week next month ?

Email or pm me with some details please

Clai

Byron Kauffman
03-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Clai;
Now who would claim to live in a tourist hole like Daytona to impress people?
Yes, Daytona Beach, famous for mosquitos, hurricanes, 100% humidity and tripple digit aged residents is where I call home.

Let me know when you or any of the list members hit town.

Byron

fatbloke
04-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by claicerrig
Sorry i know its off topic but Byron is that location genuine ?

If so do you fancy meeting up during bike week next month ?

Email or pm me with some details please

Clai

And whats more Byron came from Florida to Birmingham NEC in november Just for the bike show (how mad is that?).
Nice bloke though slightly mad!

claicerrig
04-02-2004, 12:42 PM
All right now just say you follow the NFL and i will be in cloud cookoo land :)

We are arriving on Thursday the 4 of march @ 18:30 local time and are flying back Thursday the 11 of march 2004 .

Does that help you @ all

Send me a personal e mail with a contact number

david.parry@virgin.net and i will get back to you about meeting up for a drink or a meal etc

cheers Byron

clai

Byron Kauffman
04-02-2004, 05:46 PM
I came to NEC because I just was'nt getting enough rain on a peninsula sticking out into the Atlantic Ocean. Actually the weather was great, I only had one day in the rain, of course it was the day after "press day" so I didnt have the good NEC car park. The one they put me in was almost in the next town over. The parking bus was packed so i walked, really refreshing after the first 20 minutes.
I put over 800 miles on a Nissan Micra in the few days I was there.
Thanks for the "Slightly Mad" comment, thats the first time "Slightly" was used.

Oh... sorry but no NFL here. If it doesnt have a motor I dont watch.
Remember, if there is no threat of death, it is not a sport, only a game.

fatbloke
04-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Byron we met at the Ducati stand I was the fat f**k you spoke to.
(slightly mad seems about right)

IpauloGTS
04-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi Byron

Is there anywhere I can look to see a Monster fitted with wire wheels? Do they work for all models?

Paul.

Byron Kauffman
04-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Terry; If you remember I dont qualify as a supermodel either. I think we presented an alternate shape to all those pencil thin Italians surrounding us.

Paul; Here is a photo of a Monster with wires. Kind of beat the Sport Classics to the punch didnt it?

for the latest on the Sport Classics check http://www.ducati.com/scoopage.jhtml?area=bikes&scoopNum=100

IpauloGTS
04-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks.

I like 'em - but then I would being a backward looking type! Trouble is I've already commited to a new seat and this is just my see if I like it bike. I may have to stop looking at things till the GTS is rumbling again ( I wonder if it'll be allowed on Monster outings?)

Paul.

M900Dom
06-02-2004, 02:56 PM
If enough people wanted them, I`d Model up the Hubs, as I think Talon will only sell through Ducati performance. They make the Hubs for the Carbon spoked wheels, but the design belongs to Dymag.
Last time I spoke to Talon they would not supply, Full wheels or just hubs ...
I wanted a set of Black talon hubs laced to Black excel rims with stainless spokes....Nice

The only thing you have to watch is caliper clearance though, gets a bit tricky with brembo 4pots, which is why the Ducati Classics use 2 pot sliding calipers - for spoke clearance.
I think Road racing do spokes as well, they used to be about £800 from memory.
HTH
Dom

Byron Kauffman
06-02-2004, 03:21 PM
I checked with Central Wheel in the UK and Buchanan's here in the US and got the same info I already knew.
The Hubs to use are Moto Guzzi with special bearing carriers (Vee-Two in Australia does a set). I have sourced everything and came up with roughly $1700. US plus the labor to find everything and assemble.

The wheels I originally mentioned were built for the Ducati European market.
Through one of the other Ducati groups I found the same wheels in Spain at 1400euro and right now I am in the process of ordering a set. It will cost a little bit more to buy complete wheels over doing it all piece by piece.
It is expensive but I will get something back when I sell my stock wheels and I can live on bread and water for a while.
I dont often spend that kind of money so... of course I could have had a decent trip to the UK for that cash.

I will keep you posted on progress and photos when they get here.