PDA

View Full Version : new 796 owner

EZrider
10-11-2014, 12:37 PM
HI guys

New to biking only passed A licence in september and I just got my self a 2011 monster 796 looks great in the traditional ducati red. I need just some advice i bought it off someone it has 5500miles on it and last documented service was march 2011 at 600 odd miles. I am just wondering would you recommend changing the belt at only 5500miles as its more than 3 years old the bike or there is plenty more life to it. And anyone knows where is a good place to have it done in cardiff besides Ridersmotorcycle.

cheers

J.P
10-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on passing your test.

Do you know if the bike was serviced at all after the 600 mile service ?
Standard on the Monster's is that the belts are changed every two years regardless on miles because of the material deteriorating. It'll also need an MOT probably.

utopia
10-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Its worth changing them, if only for the piece of mind that they're not going to break and wreck your motor.
The concern with the timing belts is not just mileage, but also that if the motor sits unused for long periods of time the belts can take a set from being in the same position on the pulleys for an extended period.
You'd probably get away with the old ones for a while but it simply isn't worth the risk.
The belts on my bike were nearly 3yrs old when I bought it, but had only done 150 miles.
I changed them though.

And welcome.
For a first bike, you've hit the jackpot with the 796......possibly one of the best bikes ever built in my opinion.

Dukedesmo
10-11-2014, 01:10 PM
And anyone knows where is a good place to have it done in cardiff besides Ridersmotorcycle.

Not in Cardiff but if I was looking for good Ducati service in the area I'd go to Louigimoto; http://www.louigimoto.com/ :thumbsup:

Mr Gazza
10-11-2014, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=utopia;497713]
You'd probably get away with the old ones for a while but it simply isn't worth the risk.QUOTE]

I was under the impression that the general paranoia is that old belts can let go on start up?

Mind you it didn't stop me thumbing the starter button as soon as I got my Monster home.
Even though it had been laid up for a year with only a few hundred miles on the belts.

Oh and welcome EZrider....Reminds me of a film with Hopper on a Chopper and Fonda on a Honda...:chuckle:

Flip
10-11-2014, 06:08 PM
To add to the paranoia of incorrectly tensioned belts, from what I understand they tend to break when warmed up due to over tension (usually at higher loads/revs) and when they are cold at start up if too loose. But having said that, it is very rare to hear of them going and even more so on 2v motors.

I always check mine for signs of wear and adjust if needed when I change the oil but remember the check the tension when cold before you warm the engine for the oil change.

As Utopia says, it is another reason to reinforce the fact Ducati's don't like being left un-used as the belts tend to take a 'set' around the relatively small pulleys- so get out and use it!!

I agree with DD about Louigi Moto- Rich is a top bloke, tell him the UKMOC sent you!!

Welcome along BTW and enjoy the Monster.

Dirty
10-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Hello, good evening, welcome :)

EZrider
11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
hi

thanks for all the replies , i have sent the bike to have its belt change and service , sent it to riders though just because I am worried something will happen if i take it any further than a few miles as I am always unlucky with buying vehicles.

the other thing I am wondering regarding using acf50 i dont have a garage so it will be outside chained to a post (planning to buy oxford hardcore chain lock) with covers. is it ok to use it on ducatis would it effect any on the body work?

EvoAde
11-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Can't beat ACF 50 for corrosion protection and you can squirt it on anything (apart from the brakes). The plastics aren't the problem, it's anything metal and corrosion/damp in the electrics that are the main problems.

Dirty
11-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Almax series IV and Squire SS65CS lock are the only chain and lock worth seriously considering imo

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Zimbo
11-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Seconded re the Almax chain and Squire lock, far more secure than the Oxford one! And hard to beat ACF50 for winter protection, I use it on my monster.

EZrider
17-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the advice got the almax4 and squire lock. That is one heavy chain....

TonyG
19-11-2014, 04:41 PM
If the belts set around the pulleys couldn't you just put it in gear and roll it forward every now and then if you knew it wasn't going to be used for a few months?