PDA

View Full Version : Expensive paint ,,,

jerry
04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
im doing the big 15k miles servicing my nephews GSXR600 rizla its a nice bike ,valves , coolant, at a dealer its a £500 service but the silly kid busted the front mudguard by riding off on it with a disc lock ,, problem is i have got a blank replacement mudguard £30 but the special rizla blue paint is extortionate £140+vat for 1 litre and thats not including labour to apply it as its a 2 pack blue metallic gold pearl ,,,this could get very expensive for the kid this stuff aint available in a rattle can like Ducati red which i do myself and get great results ,,,,

Mr Gazza
04-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Most auto paint suppliers can put your paint of choice in a "rattle can".

I usually pay around £12 for a can.

If you have the original mudguard. take it to an auto paint supplier and try some colour swatches on it. It does sound like a very special mix though.

I recently paid £50 for a litre of Ducati Rosso, which made me wince a bit, but £140 sounds painfull...Can you buy half a litre?

Dukedesmo
04-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Carbon fibre mudguard?...

garry
04-11-2014, 07:18 PM
i,m not sure what colour you have, what i do know, a lot of suzukis tend to use a 3 stage paint, ie silver base, colour and laq...

but as gazza says, a genuine auto supplier should be able to get you near enough, spec as its on a mudguard....

Darren69
04-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm with Duke carbon could be the way to go. The only Suzuki I had from new the paintwork was crap anyway (RGV250) all the plastic panels were stickers not painted and not laquered and the tank had rust bubbling up from underneath the undamaged paint after 3 years of owning it from brand new and the exhausts dissolved! The rest of the bike was ok but made from monkey metal mostly, looks expensive but everything made to a very tight budget so quality was absolutely cr&p. Put me off any new Japanese bikes, welll Suzukis anyway. That's why I went Italian, not looked back since really. Had loved the GSXR 750 of the time, but had a go on one from a mate and it was totally sterile, nothing. Sounded nice and handled well but had nothing about it really. Went out and bought a 750SS and loved it!

Pedro
04-11-2014, 10:40 PM
You could wrap the blank mudguard with carbon wrap

Dookbob
04-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Just paint the whole bike red

Kato
05-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Several here already painted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=suzuki+gsxr+600+rizla&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsuzuki+gs xr+600+rizla+mudguard&_nkw=suzuki+gsxr+600+rizla+mudguard&_sacat=0

jerry
05-11-2014, 10:17 AM
been to 3 auto paint suppliers all have same issue ,, the paint is a light blue mixed with a flourescent pearl wash it cannot be put in a rattle can and its also not mixable from base has to be got from a special supplier ,,,had alook at all of those Kato none was a match

carbon fibre seems a cheap option ,,, but it will lower the value of the bike without original paint ,,

he wants to sell it next year and get a DUCATI ...he wants a 848 but I am trying to get him to look at an S4r or streetfighter 848 trouble is he is young and liek sportsbikes even though he says my monsters are more comfy ....he will learn .

garry
05-11-2014, 07:08 PM
a pearl wash yer say ?/

ah, i remember those days.......