PDA

View Full Version : Old London Road.?

Mr Gazza
04-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Many years ago I bought a nice '76 Bonnie from a place called Ugley somewhere near Bishops Stortford I think it was......Any way the seller directed me to it from Norwich on what he called the Old London Road.
As I drove my Sherpa van down miles of twisting B-roads, I couldn't help thinking how great it would be to tootle that way on a bike....All of Twenty odd years on I am thinking of heading for the weekender avoiding A and dual roads but I can't for the life of me remember the route that this "Old London Road" took....Can anyone give me any clues please?

I have another question too..Regarding the QE2 Bridge, and avoiding it.!

There seems to be a ferry operating from Tibury? Is that a practical proposition or is there another option on the East side of the M25?

Won't be in a hurry on the day, just want to have a little adventure...:D

Grumpy
04-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Hi Gary.
I know the area around Ugley very well! ( insert jokes as necessary!! )
Give me a call tomorrow for a chat.

Mr Gazza
04-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks Grumpy, will do.
What time of day is good for you?

I think I passed Saffon Walden and Stansted among other pretty little places, but it was a long time ago, in the dark and exited about a new bike.!

Grumpy
04-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Any time after 12 is good for me.

Dirty
05-11-2014, 05:49 PM
There seems to be a ferry operating from Tibury? Is that a practical proposition or is there another option on the East side of the M25?

Blimey until your post I had no idea!

https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-services/tilbury-to-gravesend-ferry-service

Your choices between Tower bridge and Southend are - the Tilbury ferry, the QE2 bridge, the Woolwich ferry, the Blackwall tunnel, the Rotherhithe tunnel and swimming!

Mr Gazza
05-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the long and informative chat Grumpy.

Thanks for the ferry info too Dirty...Seems like the Tilbury ferry is passenger only...Shame.!

QE2 will be my last choice but if it comes to it I could just hop on and then divert away from the main road again the other side.

Woolwich ferry sounds like fun but Grumpy is saying Blackwall....So 6 months to go..:scratch:

The Old London Road does exist and was not a figment of my imagination, but it turns out to not really go the way I want. So Grumpy has shown my a high grin factor route via Needham Market which I would never have found myself...Just shows the value of local knowledge...Cheers Grumpy...:D

Grumpy
05-11-2014, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the ferry info too Dirty...Seems like the Tilbury ferry is passenger only...Shame.!

QE2 will be my last choice but if it comes to it I could just hop on and then divert away from the main road again the other side.

Woolwich ferry sounds like fun but Grumpy is saying Blackwall....So 6 months to go..:scratch:

The Old London Road does exist and was not a figment of my imagination, but it turns out to not really go the way I want. So Grumpy has shown my a high grin factor route via Needham Market which I would never have found myself...Just shows the value of local knowledge...Cheers Grumpy...:D

Your welcome for the local knowledge, Gary.

Dirty
05-11-2014, 09:03 PM

Who knew! Think I'll pop down and have a go next summer just for S&G!