PDA

View Full Version : 600 power mod

bensley
14-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if I'm asking a stupid question, why do all my posts start this way.....

Anyway, I have a M600 Dark from 2001, I love it, 1 year in and I'm enjoying every minute but I'm feeling that I'd like a little more speed. I've got a good feeling for the bike now and have found it the perfect first big bike, and the perfect bike after a long break from riding. It is mechanically totally standard, the only changes are that the rear end is a little shorter, no more mickey mouse ears, and smaller indicators, it looks great :spin:

Is there anything cost effective I can do to improve the performance a little? Or a lot :look:

Alternatively, is anyone looking for a great condition, low mileage Monster for their spouse or partner / mistress?

I'm trying to pre-empt the multitude of replies that say, "buy a bigger monster".

Cheers,
Ben

steeevvvooo
14-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I think you answered your own question. The most cost effective way of getting more power is to buy a bigger engine unfortunately. Whether that is in the form of a new bike, or just an engine transplant, is up to you.

:)

Zimbo
14-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Agreed - buy a bigger one (900?) and sell your 600, the difference will be a lot less than the cost of trying to improve the power, and you'll get very little extra power out of the 600 engine no matter how much you spend on it, the cams are too soft and valves to small for a start to get any more out of it.
You can optimise the 600 by fitting a Stage 2 Dynojet kit, open airbox and K&N type air filter plus race cans, that will make it go better but BHP will increase from around 47 to perhaps 51, it will feel better though. Don't bother with the occasionally available 675cc big bore kit.

Dookbob
15-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree with Zimbo, the Stage two Dynojet etc. mods do make the 600 feel so much better.
I have have done this on 4 X M600 and 3 X 600ss, all felt much improved as a result.

Fatal
15-10-2014, 11:37 AM
You could play with the gearing
A smaller front or larger rear sprocket will give you quicker acceleration, but the payoff is you will lose some of the top end speed
Its usually better to swap the rear, but this may cost more as you may also need a new chain if its not long enough
Cheapest is drop the front bye 1 tooth,
1 tooth drop on the front is worth approx 3 teeth rise on the rear sprocket

Alan H

gary tompkins
16-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Bigger cc engine is the cost effective route to a quicker monster

Flip
16-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Of course everyone loves a bit (or a lot) more power but sorting the suspension properly (along with some decent tyres) is the 'secret' route to riding the bike quicker.

But it does all depend on what your budget is.

As Fatal says- lowering the gearing a tad will make it more eager on acceleration (it's over geared anyway to get through the drive by noise tests), a couple of extra teeth on the rear should do the trick without having to buy a new chain as long as yours is in good enough condition.

Another cheap(ish) improvement power-wise is the mostly over looked, very restrictive front pipe due to the squashed 'X' at the collector point. Find a friendly welder to cut it out and make up a full diameter Siamese piece to replace it with (so the pipes still flow together) for an instant mid range boost. Then get on eBay for a second hand pair of open cans and ideally a Dynojet kit and free flowing air filter such as a K&N or Pipercross for added zip.