PDA

View Full Version : Thinking the unthinkable , shame on me!!!!

jerry
12-10-2014, 09:36 PM
After a recent enjoyable trip round Europe on my beloved , faithfull Monster 750 that i have now owned for 11 years ,, i began to have thoughts that perhaps a dedicated touring bike might be just the thing mainly for 100mph blasts down autobahns etc and cold rainy days , even though I have well developed neck muscles and also am still able to contort my ageing carcass enough to trash my 750ss and a GSXR 600 , i realise that comfort and practical considerations may trump style .... I have ideas of a lot more continenental touring so a ST4 or ST3 or even a 2 valve multistrada might be the right tool ,,,thought about BMW, triumphs and older VFRs as well but light weight , torque and soulfull character still a big need for me ....

But one of my bikes would have to go ,Either the 750ss or the Monster 750 ,,,unless i get a 3rd bike in UK but thats maybe a step to far as I have the S4 in thailand

Its only an itch at the moment but its nagging ,,,, i may experiment with a monny handle bar or Puig type screen on the M750 as a blast deflector in the meantime ,,,as they can be removed when not touring ???

but it seems a big wrench to part with these bikes , i have so much love for them

Saint aka ML
12-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Jerry 900ss but the ie one is a great touring bike when you put 10mm risers on clip-ons.

Can easy do 120 mph with soft bags on each side and from 60 onwards weight on the wrists is minimal. Then when it comes to fun it can do fun!

Nickj
12-10-2014, 11:01 PM
The old gear driven cam VFRs are solid beasts, shame about the wheel sizes and they are a bit heavy but stick it between 100/120 and it just kept going.

Alternative, armchair on wheels 650 burgman

jerry
13-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Jerry 900ss but the ie one is a great touring bike when you put 10mm risers on clip-ons.

Can easy do 120 mph with soft bags on each side and from 60 onwards weight on the wrists is minimal. Then when it comes to fun it can do fun!

YES that thought came to me too as i love my old 750ss

But a 900ss with some higher bars and also the lighter clutch slave fitted would be a good swop as the early white frame 750ss has a very heavy clutch that cant be lightened with an aftermarket slave or modified and is giving me gip,, also the extra power and 6 speed box would be good ,, but the rattly clutch is a negative , but thats same as my S4

plus they are beautiful lookers and easy to take care off,, but another negative is that they are lousy town bikes , no steering lock ... hmmmmm???

I do like old 750 VFRs and also the pre Vtec 800 but finding one with low mileage mint is getting harder ....hmmm

Saint aka ML
13-10-2014, 05:47 PM
I actually cannot complain about steering lock on any Ducati. Monster/SS is light so I can fling it and lean it at slow speed which I do. 996 was a bit of work but narrow so easy in traffic.

S4 I ridden felt better lock but heavy, especially loaded up so end result was similar.

jerry
13-10-2014, 08:11 PM
My S4 is so chassis modded its now as flickable as my M750 but with twice the power ..I tour OK with it in thailand but its never cold and one cant ride in tropical rain either ,, so airflow is a good idea ,,also at the end of punishing ride its hot so bones and muscles seem more comfy and of course a nice Thai massage is generally available to cure the pain.

No Europe requires a different style and tool

Saint aka ML
13-10-2014, 08:54 PM
For me it depends what touring you will do if it will be motorways only get a multi or ST.

If motorways to get there and fun when you are there get a SS or 999 (big bike, quite comfy, has punch and thx to lovely exhaust placement soft bags are welcome).

If mainly off motorway touring on the way there and there stay with monster.

This year I have done 80% off motorway tour to Poland and back on m695. It was perfect bar the seat I need more comfy seat. The 20% on motorway was a pain!!

jerry
14-10-2014, 01:22 PM
ST AKA you dont need a new seat ,, get one of these I use then on long trips in Europe and thailand easily detached in 30 seconds , secure ,really comfy , inexpensive
http://www.motorcyclegelpad.co.uk/

Saint aka ML
14-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Thx saved that