PDA

View Full Version : Cat D 696

gjfevans
10-10-2014, 05:13 PM
My partners bike was written off last week and the insurance company have offered it back to us for £2000, the damage is minimal with the worst I can see being that the seat no longer sit up to the tank, I suspect the frame or the head stock has moved somewhat. I have had quote for getting this sorted at £350 max
It's a 2011 model with about 6000 miles
I personally think its worth repairing but my other half has fallen out of love with it :(
Before I tell the insurance company they can keep it would anybody on here be interested obvoulsly it would have to be for the £2000
I can supply pics and full details on request

Dirty
10-10-2014, 05:39 PM
What happened to it?

SteveM900
10-10-2014, 06:30 PM
You will probably find in the impact, the weight of the rider has pushed the tank forward due to bending the frame mount. It could just be a case of bending the mounts back . You will probably find the yoke is almost, if not touching the tank on full lock. An easy fix and worth doing. If I didn't have three already, I would have it. Would make a cheap second/winter bike. Probably needs a few other bits and bobs.
Just repair it and it would sell for about a grand less due to being a Cat D.

chris.p
10-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Cat D is Non structural damage, ie no frame damage, so is the lowest category of damage and only cosmetic, so well worth buying back and repairing using replacement parts from ebay, forums etc.

tricolore
10-10-2014, 09:01 PM
I knew a chap that always bought Cat D's to repair, some only having minimal damage but selling them on always proved to be difficult. Buy it and use it, not to make a profit.

Rally
10-10-2014, 09:24 PM
I only buy cat C bikes, far more fun! :D

It sounds a bargain.

gjfevans
11-10-2014, 09:12 AM
What happened to it?

She ran into the back of a stationary car, the impact made a nice wheel sized dent on the cars rear bumper and blew the front tyre, the screen and both wing mirrors got broken off and the rear brake leaver was bent, apart from that the crash bungs saved any further damage to the side. Its just the frame that really needs sorting.
I spoke to a local company who does that sort of work they charge £85 for an assesment which if you choose to go ahead with the work is knocked off the final bill which he reckons is never more than £350

Gerry
11-10-2014, 09:34 AM
I only buy cat C bikes, far more fun! :D

It sounds a bargain.

Ha Ha .... here we go ........ where's Deano .....:chuckle:

chris.p
11-10-2014, 09:44 AM
She ran into the back of a stationary car, the impact made a nice wheel sized dent on the cars rear bumper and blew the front tyre, the screen and both wing mirrors got broken off and the rear brake leaver was bent, apart from that the crash bungs saved any further damage to the side. Its just the frame that really needs sorting.
I spoke to a local company who does that sort of work they charge £85 for an assesment which if you choose to go ahead with the work is knocked off the final bill which he reckons is never more than £350

As i posted, a CAT D bike will have NO frame damage, (if it has it will have been wrongly categorised) It should only be cosmetic damage, but more than the insurance company want to pay for, remember the parts that the insurance company have to replace are Ducati original parts and even if an item is scratched it will be replaced.
You could have a word with your insurance company and see what can be removed from the replacement list that you can replace yourself at a later date, i.e., mirrors (plenty aftermarket on ebay and a lot of owners have replaced there originals and can sell you theres at a fraction of new.
Original Ducati levers are £89 + each, good aftermarket ones can be bought for less than £50 from ebay.
Also if you can strike a deal for part replacement of repairs, it will not be classed ac a CAT D, win, win all round.

Goofle
12-10-2014, 09:16 AM
If my other half and I hadn't just picked up bike number SIX yesterday I'd be looking with serious interest. Not that I've got anywhere to store numbers five OR six unfortunately, but I'd happily spend a little while putting your Monster back on the road...

gjfevans
13-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Having re-assesed the damage by removing the tank I could see how it had been pushed froward on the mounts, so as Stevem900 pointed it it was quite an easy fix. So we have now decided to keep the bike and get it back on the road.
Many thanks to Steve and ChrisP for your advice :)

chris.p
13-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Having re-assesed the damage by removing the tank I could see how it had been pushed froward on the mounts, so as Stevem900 pointed it it was quite an easy fix. So we have now decided to keep the bike and get it back on the road.
Many thanks to Steve and ChrisP for your advice :)

Your more than welcome, good luck with the rebuild :-)

SteveM900
13-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Glad to help. My invoice for an online assessment is £84.99 and will be in the post !
I've had a couple of Cat D bikes and if they are priced accordingly will sell OK in the future.

gjfevans
14-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Glad to help. My invoice for an online assessment is £84.99 and will be in the post !
I've had a couple of Cat D bikes and if they are priced accordingly will sell OK in the future.

Ha thanks Steve i will pay in full when i recieve it :thumbsup: