PDA

View Full Version : Replacing clutch plate

S4R Dude
30-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Hi all ,

I just painted and replaced my clutch plate. I put the plate on aligning it properly and tightened the bolts.

I am unsure how to get them properly tight, when all were tightened up all was solid, I could not pull the clutch lever in.

I then loosened all evenly until the lever pulls smoothly but do not want to start the bike in case I have done something stupid.

Advice would be appreciated, ta.

Darren69
30-09-2014, 11:15 AM
The bolts on the spring caps should all be tightened down completely. You shouldn't have to slacken them all off at all. Are you sure all the plates are assembled correctly?

S4R Dude
30-09-2014, 11:19 AM
I never touched the clutch plates at all just left them as they were when I took off the plate.

When I tightened the screws down the springs looked fully compressed and that was when I could not pull in the clutch lever. When I slackened off a little on the bolts I could see the springs opening up.

S4R Dude
30-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Darren, thinking on what you said I just went and took all the bolts out and carefully re assembled.

All fits fine and works great, I suspect I misaligned a cap or some thing , I can not work it out but some thing must have been out of line.

All bolts this time went fully to the posts and are now perfect.

Cheers for the quick reply.

Stafford
30-09-2014, 12:00 PM
If you've just changed your pressure plate make sure you get it in the correct spot in rotation, look for a slot in one of the pillars and a mark on the plate to match it to.
The cap screws just need a nip up, any more and you may be looking for a new hub.

Darren69
30-09-2014, 02:54 PM
As Stafford says be careful not to over tighten them as the posts are easily broken. I always put a little anti-seize grease on the threads too.

DaveDude1976
28-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Hi chaps, just replaced the clutch plates on my '02 S4. had exactly the same issue as described above, springs fully compressed, no lever movement.

Luckily I found this thread and all is good, hadn't aligned the pressure plate properly and it hadn't 'hit home' so was sitting a little proud.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info :)