PDA

View Full Version : s2 tanks.

SteveP
26-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Is tank swelling common in this country? The rubber block on the underside does not line up with the frame on one side and the catch at the front is a tight fit, is this normal?

Dirty
26-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Not usual in metal tanks. Plastic tanks have some issues.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=50142

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=49622

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=48316

Gerry
27-09-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm afraid they can swell a bit with our 5% ethanol content in UK.

This is basically the nylon fuel tank absorbing water in the ethanol and swelling. Search for this subject on the forum , you should find some posts.

Gerry
27-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Oh .... and .. you can adjust the position of the rubber pads just slacken 'em off and re position. I can no longer adjust mine to fit BTW .... (2006 S2R) ....

slob
27-09-2014, 02:17 PM
The front catch is adjustable too, just release it and turn it out a little

Funkatronic
27-09-2014, 03:36 PM
many of us have had to make the tank mounting bracket holes bigger so you can slide the tank back a few mm

Gerry
28-09-2014, 07:56 AM
I guess it's the same as having to make more holes in your belt as you get older :chuckle:

Ger

squarehead
28-09-2014, 08:24 AM
My old tank shrunk back a bit when drained down....

My dealer said they'd linked swelling with Morrissons fuel, although I can't back this up, bit I use super unleaded and have had no subsequent problems.

jerry
29-09-2014, 04:19 PM
its not just Morrisons fuel most UK fuel has 5% ethanol
and its worse when one has 10% as in USA .

drainin g and drying tanks out to reduce water that has separated from the ethanol usually lets the tanks shrink back to normal but not always

Gerry
30-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Be interesting to see what would happen if you removed the fuel filler and pump assy from the bottom and left in an air-conditioned room for a month or so.

SteveP
30-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice, it looks like the previous owner has done everything mentioned to cope with the tank expanding, the seat is a very tight fit at the back of the tank, short of taking a file to the back of the ignition switch I have run out of options. Does it get progressively worse or reach a point where it will expend no more? Would a fuel additive help?

Dirty
30-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Just use premium fuels, most of those don't have any ethanol yet

Gerry
01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
You sure? last time I looked all unleaded fuel in UK has 5% ethanol added

Gilps
01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
As the law currently stands, each supplier has to have a certain percentage of their fuel contain 5%. It is more difficult to maintain the correct RON rating with ethanol added, so most of the suppliers don't add it to their "super" unleadeds. They sell so little of the stuff that they are still hitting their percentage targets. I used it whenever I could in my S2R purely for those reasons, and I use it whenever available too in my carbed SS due to the damage that ethanol does to the rubbers in the carbs. Do the maths. If you are a low mileage rider like me then the few extra pennies per year can save you hundreds.
Not all super unleaded is ethanol free. It's likely to change too as the law gets tougher and we are moved on to 10% content. I posted a link a while back of garage forecourts and their ethanol content. It was either on here or the Ducatiforum, but it may well be out in of date by now.

Gilps
01-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Here you go. May be out of date but makes for good reading
http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wessex/ethanol-update.html

Dirty
01-10-2014, 04:57 PM
You sure? last time I looked all unleaded fuel in UK has 5% ethanol added

Yeah, it's all in the links I posted at the top of the page

Dave G
01-10-2014, 07:42 PM
I've been aware of this for a few years as both my Ducatis would be vulnerable to this stuff, I've watched the mess in the US where the whole thing has been driven by vested interests in the corn industry and has little to do with green issues.
However, I do recall our government as well as Germanys started asking difficult questions about E10 so its introduction was postponed indefinitely as far as I was aware though things may have moved on from there.
I'm sure this isn't as cut and dried as it was in the US so there may be hope we can avoid this particular dilution of fuel.

In the meantime I have used the premium stuff and will continue to do so, the price is not an issue for me, especially this year with a new record low mile total. :(