PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma (Dai-lemma?)

Bigxr
19-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi all, I have a problem brewing.. my S2R800 is the love of my life, I've had it for about 6 years and never once, ever, have I ever thought I would want to change anything about the bike at all. Last year a bunch of us did a lap of Ireland, epic trip, and the S2R was perfect. Even a bit of off road fully laden on the ring of kerry didn't faze it, Brilliant bike. However, next year we're going to the Stella Alpina, and my dilemma is that I don't know if I need to change to a Multi strada or not. All my mates will be on big trailies, Triumphs, Hondas, Bee Emms (yawn), and I've been looking at all the you tube footage, and I recon the Monster should be able to do it, but there's a little nagging doubt that the top bit might be a rock too far, and smashing a casing on some rock doesn't bear thinking about... So do I change or not? (the ONLY change I would ever consider would be to a Multi!) I haven't any spare loot, (daughter in Uni, static wages etc..) so it would have to be a swap,

So... I am throwing this dilemma out into the collective wisdom of the revered UKMOC in the hope of divine guidance... Do I Monster to the Stella, or Multi?

:ukm:

steeevvvooo
19-09-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't know the route but how much real offroad is there? The monster would cope with a bit of gravel as well as a multi I would say if you are careful but anything bigger and you may wish you had the height and suspension travel of a trailie

bluestoesonnose
19-09-2014, 07:33 PM
When I was in Canada, there were H-D full dress touring bikes on the gravel and unmade roads, no issues. Even saw a few in the mountains when I was in Oz, if you take it easy you'll be fine. Perhaps a fenda extenda, belly pan and hugger would keep the stones off, if you don't already have them and some crash bungs would also be good again if you don't have any....

The Monster with its low C of G should be easy to handle on gravel tracks, go for it and post the pictures.....

Bigxr
19-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks Steve,
As far as I can gather, the route up to the camp site is quite passable, 35kms of alpine gravel track, but the last few Kms to the summit (the whole point of going ) is a bit tougher. All the footage shows big trailies and no roadies. What I really want is a Terra Mostro, I can dream!

http://media.motoblog.it/d/duc/ducati-terra-mostro/ducati_terra_mostro_1.jpg

crust
19-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Haven't been for a few years but last time I went we took a BMWR80RT, an FJ1200 Yam, a Guzzi LeMans and a 1200 Bandit and my 900 Monster all the way to the top of the pass.

We did have to drag them over a couple of snow drifts on the way and pick our way very carefully the some of the rocks but that made it all the more fun.

Dirty
19-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Multistrada. The Ducati equivalent of a Fiat Multipla. Keep the monster!

Mr Gazza
20-09-2014, 08:07 AM
I would be far too proud to think that a Monster would not be well able to achieve the task.

I might make the concession of farging up a couple of bash plates either side of the exhaust and expect to possibly have to replace the front pipe if it caught a heavy ding.

The rims would worry me a little perhaps, but they will be the same on whatever bike...Just go for it..!!:mand: