PDA

View Full Version : sluggish to start.

kevin5952
02-02-2004, 03:09 PM
being a new proud owner of a 750 monster i went out to start it today after going out for a reasonable run yesterday and it took a while for it to fire up.As far as i know it has the original battery and no immobiliser or alarm to possibly drain it while it,s not running.Once it,s running ,no problem.Should i invest in a new batteryor could it be something else.It,s not been abused and has low mileage on it,8500 for a 98.Any suggestionswould be greatfuly received....kev:confused:

Melnie Mouse
02-02-2004, 03:32 PM
It won't be the battery if it's fine starting but running sluggish, has it been standing for any length of time... might just need a good run to blow it out... has it had it's 6000 mile service too?

Melnie Mouse
02-02-2004, 03:34 PM
but if you think it might be the battery you can get them tested. take it off and take it in any bike shop and they can check for you if it's had it...

kevin5952
02-02-2004, 04:02 PM
bike runs great but it is just when you try to turn it over it doesn,t seem to want to start,it does eventualy and then no problems,it has been standing for a while up until yesterday but i made a point of starting it and letting it run for about 10mins everyday.it has had it,s 6000mile service...kev

Melnie Mouse
02-02-2004, 04:14 PM
I'd say call our mechanics but they're not here til Friday, if you can hang on, ring us on 01243 782544 ask for John (Ducati man here at the shop) we're having a bit of a shop re-fit at mo so workshop is shut til friday... but it wouldn't hurt get battery checked out though, once flat even though going again is difficult to maintain full charge, even if you've had good run on it... has it a fuel filter? no **** in carbs is there? the new 800 replaces 750 model which is injection.... so might be idea fit filter too anyway....

spacemonkey
02-02-2004, 06:26 PM
**** in the carbs? How often do I have to do this?

Elmo
02-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Kev my bikes the same in that when i press starter button it sounds like its not goin to make it over the first compression stroke then away it goes, its always been like it. Some thing to do with being a big twin i think.

Albie
02-02-2004, 09:47 PM
do yourself a cheap favour. get new spark plugs.for 5 or 6 quid they could be the difference. even if its not that then youll have adecent spare set to put in tool kit for a rideout and they may get you home one day.

Pedro
02-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Get some new plugs - always worth a try.

Mine does the same when it's been stood a while and is usually battery related. Big twins have lots of compression so if your battery is not tip top, it might struggle a little. I got an Optimate to keep the battery fresh. No further problems

Ped

Desmodue
03-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi Kev

Take your battery out and check :

Electrolite level, top-up with distilled water if needed
The vent pipe is sound, and connected to battery
The terminals are clean, wire brush and grease if needed
Clean all over battery, wipe-down

Then get yourself an Optimate III Battery maintainer

Re-charge your battery to fully-charged, and put back in bike

Now See & Hear the DIFFERENCE !!

It's the only way

kevin5952
03-02-2004, 10:04 AM
just started it up and she fired up 2nd time but made a (pop) noise,is this normal ?

Melnie Mouse
03-02-2004, 10:23 AM
yep