PDA

View Full Version : M900 Brake Light

jonno_c
13-09-2014, 07:06 PM
I did buy an LED one off of a member, but some of the LED's have blown so fancy going back to an original.

If anyone has a working one they don't need, do let me know.

Cheers

Dirty
13-09-2014, 07:31 PM
I've got one you can have. It's a bit ratty round the back but easily sorted.

Mr Gazza
14-09-2014, 08:24 AM
jonno.

If your LED unit is going begging when you get a replacement, I would be interested in taking it off your hands..:biggrin:...It must be possible to replace the LEDs?

I would be a little concerned if it is blowing LEDs as one thing that LEDs are, is very voltage sensitive.

It could be a warning that your reg/rec is not quite up to scratch. You might be getting a high voltage through, or voltage surges..........No harm in checking it out with a meter.
It could save you a battery at least, and maybe an etched engine and frame?

jonno_c
17-09-2014, 06:40 PM
I've got one you can have. It's a bit ratty round the back but easily sorted.

Define ratty?! I have an old one that got it's mounts snapped, so was overloaded with glue and muck, which is why I got the LED replacement.

I'll PM you with my email for pics if ok??

jonno_c
17-09-2014, 06:41 PM
jonno.

If your LED unit is going begging when you get a replacement, I would be interested in taking it off your hands..:biggrin:...It must be possible to replace the LEDs?

I would be a little concerned if it is blowing LEDs as one thing that LEDs are, is very voltage sensitive.

It could be a warning that your reg/rec is not quite up to scratch. You might be getting a high voltage through, or voltage surges..........No harm in checking it out with a meter.
It could save you a battery at least, and maybe an etched engine and frame?

Cheers Gazza.

Will let you know once I have arranged a replacement. Being dumb, what is reg/rec?! ; (

Dirty
17-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Define ratty?! I have an old one that got it's mounts snapped, so was overloaded with glue and muck, which is why I got the LED replacement.

I'll PM you with my email for pics if ok??

Yeah, ratty mounts but serviceable.

http://s7.postimg.org/tn3e00zmj/2014_06_17_14_15_29.jpg

Albie
17-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Buy an LED bulb for it or even a board right across it. You can also buy clear lenses.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/826-DUCATI-MONSTER-600-750-900-1000-S2R-S4R-Rear-Tail-Stop-Light-LED-Red-/310677510917?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4855d29b05

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/825-REAR-LIGHT-LED-DUCATI-MONSTER-600-750-900-1000-S2R-S4R-/310374803927?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4843c7a9d7

Darren69
17-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Yea, there was an article in this months Practical Sportsbikes, telling you how to make an LED board from scratch but you can buy them now for a few quid anyway with a bulb adapter so you just need to find a way to fix it in.

Mr Gazza
17-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Cheers Gazza.

Will let you know once I have arranged a replacement. Being dumb, what is reg/rec?! ; (

Thanks, drop me a pm when you are ready.

The Regulator Rectifier is a combined unit that converts (rectifies) the ac current from the generator into dc and regulates it to just above 12 volts, about 13 volts I think?

If it fails, far too much current gets through to the battery and it usually boils away the electolyte and/or melts wires...Messy!!

I'm not trying to scare you. But when you mentioned LEDs popping my first thoughts were "Too much voltage". Normal bulbs seem to tolerate this okay, so you get no warning that way, of a ailing reg/rec until the battery cooks and sometimes pumps acid all over the bike.

The check is easy. Hopefully someone will pop up and tell you where to poke the multimeter probes and what numbers to expect... In the mean time just to be on the safe side check that the battery breather pipe is firmly in place and routed away down to the road.