PDA

View Full Version : Early M900 new clueless owner.

meccano
06-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi,
Long story, but I've recently acquired an early M900.
I've never owned a Ducati and, to be honest, I'm not sure what to do with it - customise it, get it back to standard (as far as possible), use it "as is" or sell it.
It's mostly standard, but someone has chromed the frame and cut the back end of it off. Why??? The engine is painted gold for some unknown reason. It has gold Renthal bars and hideous gold indicators. Carbon front mudguard, side panels and exhaust protectors seem to be the real thing, but the hugger is carbon-look plastic I think. So returning it to standard is the least likely scenario.
Oh, and there's an occasional oil drip which seems to be coming from where the crankcase halves join (engine underside). What have I done???:hissy:
On the plus side it starts and rides okay and, apart from a cracked headlight glass and a ridiculously small number plate, it should MOT without a problem.
So, prepare yourselves for several stupidly inane questions as I venture into the unknown.
Cheers,
Les.

Scott1
06-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Hi Les, welcome to the club, this sounds interesting.....please let us see some pictures.

Akita Boy
06-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Hello and welcome. Lots of advice to be had on here, no question is a stupid question!!

PhilH67
06-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Was it beer goggles buying there, sorry to say it doesn't sound that attractive and I think the best thing to do is to get it to a state that you think is awesome. If that's back to standard or customising it to your tastes, tbh it doesn't sound like you can make it any worse. Pic would be good so we can see the transition

Dookbob
06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
That sounds so bad it must have my name on it.

Darkness
06-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Hi Meccano and welcome.

Some photo's would be good, and will probably prompt a wide set of responses and suggestions ranging between point and laugh, drop it off a cliff, and some useful ones too.

How early is early out of interest, as that can influence views?

meccano
06-09-2014, 10:51 AM
:chuckle:

Some great replies there. The cliff idea is tempting.

To answer some points, it's an April 1994, L reg.

I don't even know what I paid for it! I went to look at another bike (Kawasaki Zephyr 550) and this was next to it in the bloke's garage. We ended up agreeing a price for the two bikes, so what I paid for each bike isn't really clear.

As regards photos, I've tried to upload some from my PC but it keeps saying "upload failed". They're jpeg files and are within the specified file size limit, so I don't know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong.

Yorkie
06-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Do it via a photo sharing site its easier.

It should be a good project.

Yorkie

Nickj
06-09-2014, 02:39 PM
The frame would be a matter of taste, might work out fine as is.
The tail chop is again a matter of taste, both my monster had this. It does make them look massively shorter but you get some sparay up your back.
Gold engine will be a no no, then its easy to repaint in nicer colours, the older bronze/grey is nice and much more subtle.
Is the oil dribbling from the side casings? Not uncommon and just needs resealing with either expensive silicone or cheap silicone (very similar once cured but one comes in small tubes the other in big tubes).

If it starts and rides then its a good one and probably worth putting some effort in to. Much more fun than the 550 and about 200% more presence and charisma.

Zephyr, they were a move to sell more and shift motor stocks so were styled on the Z9. Unless it awesomely good condition I'd feel I got a good deal on the monster and some skip ballast ;)

Then of course we'll be a bit biased here, a kawasaki forum will say the opposite

meccano
06-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks for that, guys.
Since I posted this morning I've removed and dismantled the headlamp....the glass fell apart into 2 halves. :grump:
From what I've read, the OE Bosch glass is long since NLA, unless you know different.
So I was going to put any old 8-inch headlamp on the bike. There are several units on Ebay, generally listed as a Yamaha RD350LC copy, for 20-odd quid.
Whaddya think? Or is there a better alternative?

J_Dub
06-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Headlight lens (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=42578&highlight=bmw+headlight+glass) post #14

Apparently the glass from a BMW R100 is the same costs about £30.
If you use the search button and put in 'BMW headlight glass' you'll find several posts on it which also mention other sources for other parts for your monnie.

meccano
06-09-2014, 03:42 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f16/leslierogers1/monster3_zps96ad830e.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/leslierogers1/media/monster3_zps96ad830e.jpg.html)

meccano
06-09-2014, 03:43 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f16/leslierogers1/monster2_zps36b13bda.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/leslierogers1/media/monster2_zps36b13bda.jpg.html)

Mr Gazza
06-09-2014, 04:07 PM
That looks bloody tidy you lucky sod..!!:biggrin:

There's plenty on here will take her off your hands if you don't like her. (Me included.)

First things first. If you don't know the history of the bike, especially regarding the timing belts, it would be a very good idea to change the belts asap.

They do say that there is a risk in running the engine after a long stand up, of the belts letting go. Most don't take the risk and change the belts before running up...Just sayin'.

Your center line leak could well be the alternator case weeping and running down to the bottom to form drips there. As Nickj said it's an easy fix with silicone.
You will need a simple puller to get the cover off, and you must look out for the screw that the clutch slave hides...even with the slave removed the screw can hide in the chain goo..So make sure you find it before heaving on the puller.

If it was a '92 model I would be all for a concours restoration, but yours looks pretty good as is...The chrome frame and Gold cases look okay to me. Personally I would try to match the Gold and do the wheels too.
Tail chops can be reversed, or so I understand. Easier if you have the original bits but there might be someone here who can help you with that.

Get the exhaust polished up and she will look a treat. As for the bling that you don't like, well you can do swaps on this forum and get the bits you want.

Get her on the road and see what you think, then decide what you are going to do.

Once again, and no offence....Lucky sod...:biggrin:

Mr Gazza
06-09-2014, 04:12 PM
............And well done for getting four bins in the top shot...Is this a record??

Dirty
06-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi and welcome.

Doesn't look half as bad as you described it! In fact i quite like it. If the engine covers are just painted then they have been done like that to look like magnesium. If they are magnesium you've had a score :)
The back is chopped off because that is what is supposed to happen. Anyone who hasn't done it has an unfinished bike :)

Dirty
06-09-2014, 04:49 PM
............And well done for getting four bins in the top shot...Is this a record??

Good spot sir! I think it probably is!!

Mr Gazza
06-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Just noticed the extent of the Gold on the engine.
Normally I would say it was OTT, but the Gold is a nice pale shade and I think it pulls it off?

Bingo if you have Magnesium cases.:thumbsup:.....Nobody's that lucky..:mand:

steeevvvooo
06-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Welcome, and just quite like it! My advice:

Service with belts and maybe valve clearance check if history is unknown. Peace of mind!

Paint engine Grey unless they are magnesium cases, but I highly doubt that

Exhaust cans. Probably carbon

Clio ons or slightly lower bars

It looks decent enough as is though. There have been a few very dodgy looking eBay bikes posted on here recently and at first I thought it must be one of those. In my opinion you have a tidy looking bike there.

Mr Gazza
06-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Update;

People, we are looking at a SIX BIN picture...!!!

Dirty
06-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Update;

People, we are looking at a SIX BIN picture...!!!

And I thought I needed a life! Well done though, very impressed :mand:

meccano
06-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the comments......certainly food for thought.
I think I'll get one of those BMW headlight lenses. I see they're now up to £40-ish form Moto Bins (or should that be Moto 6-Bins)but I'll shop around, then get a full size number plate and get it MOT'd.
The seller told me it has stood in his garage since about 2008 with just the odd start-up now and again, so a service and belt change is essential, I think.
Once it's road legal I'll do a few miles and see how I feel about it. I am warming to it, though.
Which leads me to my next questions;

1. What colour is it and is there a touch-up paint available?
2. The oil leak doesn't seem to be from anywhere higher than the bottom of the engine because up from that everything is dry with no signs of a leak or drips. So I think it's coming from the crankcase jointing faces or from a large plug with a recessed hexagonal head next to the seam. Any thoughts?

Anyway, it's Saturday, it's half past eight, so it's pub time! :flag:

Darren69
07-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Nobody expects a 6 bin picture! :) I can only see five however but even so that maybe a record. Tidy looking bike. I'm liking the chrome frame, not sure about the gold cases though but I suspect they were painted to look like magnesium. The plug you mention sounds like it could be the oil drain plug.

Darkness
07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Lucky you: It looks a lot better than I expected from your description.

It looks to be a fairly early '94 model bike as it's still got the early type rear hugger and fuel filter mounting bracket (Though it's not using the filter mount).

You'll be doing well to find an original plastic hugger as they are the 888 type and common as rocking horse poo. You can still get carbon copies though at a cost.

Late '94 onwards the huggers are a different shape, but more significantly, the mountings onto the swing arm are totally different.

If it were mine, I'd be inclined to change the cam belts, get rid of the gold indicators and engine paint, find the oil leak and run it for a couple of months whilst planning what else to do.

It's not mine though, so you get the fun of choosing where to take it: have fun!

Mr Gazza
07-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Nobody expects a 6 bin picture! :) I can only see five however.....

Check out the chink between the headlamp and speedo.

Darren69
07-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Ah oh yes, just a bit of blue that I had thought was the car. I'm only on my netbook so don't have a very big screen, but well spotted.

Darkness
07-09-2014, 05:36 PM
If it was a '92 model I would be all for a concours restoration, but yours looks pretty good as is...The chrome frame and Gold cases look okay to me. Personally I would try to match the Gold and do the wheels too.
...Lucky sod...:biggrin:

If it was a '92 model it really would be rare. Isn't there just the one of those for the launch at the Cologne show, which was a non running mock up still owned by Miguel Galluzzi anyway.

Monsters were first available to buy in mid '93 but with only about 2,162 available worldwide before the '94 model followed on.

PhilH67
07-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Well totally different to what I was expecting and for the better too. As others have said, get it road worthy, change the belts, plugs and oil, ditch the gold paint and chrome, ride and enjoy.

You other bin hunters may Need to get out more...

Darren69
07-09-2014, 06:02 PM
From what I can ascertain the first production year was 1993, 2162 units produced. Anything earlier than than would have to have been a demo version or mock up with a 900SS engine.

Dirty
07-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Check out the chink between the headlamp and speedo.

Ah oh yes, just a bit of blue that I had thought was the car. I'm only on my netbook so don't have a very big screen, but well spotted.

OMG, is it a 7! Is that one in the reflection on the fuel tank?

Mr Gazza
07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
If it was a '92 model it really would be rare. Isn't there just the one of those for the launch at the Cologne show, which was a non running mock up still owned by Miguel Galluzzi anyway.

Monsters were first available to buy in mid '93 but with only about 2,162 available worldwide before the '94 model followed on.

Well spotted Darkness...You look out for my typo's and I'll just spot bins...:chuckle:

"OMG, is it a 7! Is that one in the reflection on the fuel tank?"

I dunno Dirty, could be two possibles in the tank, but you certainly had me at it..:chuckle:

Flip
07-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Will be nice when it's finished.....

Taste is a funny thing but I agree with the majority in that get rid of the horrible indicators for either the originals or some nice Ducati Performance items of the era and have the engine cases returned to one of the standard colours also.

As for the frame- are you sure it's Chrome plated and not Nickel?
I recently saw a 900ss at the Italian day at Goodwood with a Nickel plated frame and it looked very nice.

meccano
08-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Will be nice when it's finished.....

Taste is a funny thing but I agree with the majority in that get rid of the horrible indicators for either the originals or some nice Ducati Performance items of the era and have the engine cases returned to one of the standard colours also.

As for the frame- are you sure it's Chrome plated and not Nickel?
I recently saw a 900ss at the Italian day at Goodwood with a Nickel plated frame and it looked very nice.

You might be right m8 - It could be nickel plate. I only said chrome because that was the first thing that occurred to me. Close up, there are small discouloured areas but they don't really detract from what is overall a reasonably good finish.
I'm working a lot of hours this week so that has stopped play for the time being.
I intend to get stuck into it next week so watch this space! :p

Dirty
08-09-2014, 04:53 PM
I fancied a nickel plated frame after I saw one at one of the first BSMC shows

Darren69
08-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Yes, in either case should be good. Chrome or nickel are both more resistant to neglect than paint. Always regretted not getting my 748 frame chrome plated but since it was an insurance job they wouldn't cough up for the time it would take to polish it, should have thought of nickel at the time but in any case got a re-spray in factory bronze.