PDA

View Full Version : Attempted break in :(

wezrvf
05-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Well, after just spending thousands of pounds on a Monster 1200s imagine my delight to come home from work to a note from the police saying somebody has tried to break in to my garage. The guy was out of his face on drugs and had soiled himself, it seems he tried to break in to my garage at 4am yesterday for somewhere to sleep, failed and fell asleep out side it where the police found him.

The guy seems like a total waste of skin and the police office said he knows him well and he wouldn't even know what to do with a motorbike if he came across one. This made me feel a bit better as it would have been pitch black and it doesn't seem he actually got in the garage. He did get on the roof though and taken the liberty of ripping off half of one of the old asbestos sheets on the roof which has left me with a nice hole in the roof.

I looked all over for some corrogated iron sheeting but apparently it is pretty scares these days. Myself and a neighbour have boarded it up for now but I have no idea what to do in the long term.

Guess I need a new roof at some point, any advise would be great. feeling very depressed and I should be bouncing off the walls because of the purchase. :(

Cheers

Mr Gazza
05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Well you won't be able to buy aspestos sheets any more.
They have been replaced by fibre cement sheets. Available in profile 6 (6" pitch) or profile 3 (3" pitch).

Corrogated iron sheets seem to be about the cheapest form of roofing about, and even comes in different coloured coatings as well as galvanized.

Presumably the scum bag won't be able to pay for the damage?

Congratulations on the new bike...:biggrin:..Enjoy.

garry
05-09-2014, 09:52 PM
new roof then.

Akita Boy
05-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Sorry to hear that, but take some comfort in the fact that it was a crack head off his face on drugs as oppose to a serious attempt to take the Monnie.

That said, it's probably a good idea to review and improve your garage security.......

You can do a lot worse than ask the police local crime prevention officer to call round. I had one look at my garage and she recommended a IR garage alarm, as I already had a ground anchor, two big chains and a disc lock. Her main advice was along the lines that if Oceans 11 decide to nick your bike they're going to succeed..... All you can do is make it so bloody difficult that most people give up.

Big chains & bigger locks mate.....

garry
05-09-2014, 10:08 PM
local crime prevention officer..

yer mean a pcso?

better off asking advice from the geyser at yer local subway..

wezrvf
05-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Got a huge 14mm chain into a top quality ground anchor, Oxford boss disc lock and Zena xx14 disc lock with alarm. So it is no doubt going to be hard to get if someone wants it. I don't think they would be able to get it but if hey can't thy will just trash it.

Yeah I need to beef up the security I think. The officer said he was soo out of his face even if he did want it he would have no idea where he was.

Thanks for thadvice, maybe a concrete sheet is best. It is the old big 6 pitch.

Akita Boy
05-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Don't rule out bear traps and punji stakes

wezrvf
05-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Is there still such a thing as vandal geese?

MerlinPV12
05-09-2014, 11:02 PM
The guy who sold me my bike said quite a few of his other customers use these...
http://www.williampowell.com/Shooting--Dogs/Game-Bags--Accessories/Poacher-Alarm_MA101.htm

Pleased to hear the bike is still safe :thumbsup:

wezrvf
05-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Haha. I have heard of hese. Amazing, until you forget to disarm it haha. Do you know anyone who has used one ???

Darkness
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM
If it really is a concrete asbestos sheet roof that has been broken be careful about dust from it: inhaled loose asbestos fibres are a major killer of construction workers.

Dirty
06-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear this, at least it was just a prick rather than a real robbery attempt

local crime prevention officer..

yer mean a pcso?

better off asking advice from the geyser at yer local subway..

A PCSO is something completely different

Is there still such a thing as vandal geese?

Yep

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5262/5612510432_a94d40125c_z.jpg

Quite effective no doubt but if I was going down that route I'd probably get a dog :)

Dookbob
06-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Tell you what though, that goose looks like a pretty good deterant to me.

J_Dub
06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
The guy who sold me my bike said quite a few of his other customers use these...
http://www.williampowell.com/Shooting--Dogs/Game-Bags--Accessories/Poacher-Alarm_MA101.htm

Pleased to hear the bike is still safe :thumbsup:

I like that. Is it legal?

Darren69
06-09-2014, 04:31 PM
You probably need a black powder license, in order to buy the cartridges, maybe?

Dirty
06-09-2014, 04:45 PM
You probably need a black powder license, in order to buy the cartridges, maybe?

nah, can buy them over the counter

wezrvf
06-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Found a concrete fibre panel that fits perfect and is as secure as it was before but defo thinking of making something much more secure though but here is my issue, I am currently living with my sister in the family home which will be sold in the next few years and I have a deposit saved to get my own place (as long as I stop buying new motorbikes) so I don't want to spend a bomb on the garage here as it will not be a long terms place I am keeping my bikes. What do you think ???

A builder neighbour I was speaking to said it will cost a fortune to replace the roof and put something more secure on. His advice for a more cost effective fix was to leave the roof as is, as it is weather proof and all in one piece it just isn't that hard to break into, and to put up a heavy duty internal cage type set up inside the garage roof.

Thoughts?

Mr Gazza
06-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Maybe covering the roof with chicken wire or summat would make it harder to tear the sheets off?...and the walls too if they are vunerable.

Dirty
06-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Just get an almax chain and a decent ground achor

damien666
06-09-2014, 06:50 PM
If you did decide to replace it, I did mine with an insulated metal sheet from www.forgale.co.uk ( click on roofing material, then insulated sheeting).
Will give you an idea of what I mean. I'm sure you'll have a local stockist
It comes in lengths to enable you to do the full length of the garage without joins. It's been on 3 years so far and it's good stuff and no condensation.

MikeEsholt
06-09-2014, 08:13 PM
I had one of those poacher traps in a shed after it got broken in.

The next time, someone tried to break in they left very quickly leaving a funny smell.

No-one ever came back

wezrvf
06-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Yeah already got an amazing chain and ground anchor, they will have to work hard to get the bike but knowing the useless scrouts round here they will just smash he bike up when they are out smarted by a chain.

The insulation idea looks great. Did you fit this on he inside of your garage ?

damien666
06-09-2014, 10:13 PM
It's complete sheets with the insulation bonded to it and sealed on the underside.

DrD
06-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Just put a metal roof up and wire it to the mains
- sorted!