PDA

View Full Version : Riding in France/Belgium

scrapps
03-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I am riding to the MOB weekend this month and as I have not been for a few years I wanted to check what is now needed while riding abroad.

I have a first aid kit and high vis vest.

Darren69
03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Spare bulbs, I seem to recall you had to carry these on my European bike ventures in the past.

Akita Boy
03-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I think that they've scrapped all their laws about hi vis jackets, reflective panels on helmets, first aid kits and breathalizers.

I've had a few day trips over the summer armed only with my passport and a fistful of euros and had no issues with Inspector Clouseau or his mates. In fact while we were sitting outside a cafe just north of Saint-Nazaire a gendarme stopped to have a look at the bikes, recommend a few decent roads and have a coffee with us. And he wasn't concerned as to the total lack of hi visibility stuff on display.

SunEye
03-09-2014, 02:20 PM
As far as I am aware this is the current situation in France:

You should carry your passport, driving licence, insurance certificate and V5 with you. This way you can identify yourself and the bike as being yours and that it is insured for you to ride.

You must have your dipped headlight on during the day.

You do not have to carry a spare set of bulbs. However if a bulb has blown and the police stop you they could prevent you from continuing until the bulb is replaced.

The law does require you to have retroreflective stickers of a certain size on your helmet, although very few foreign riders abide by this law.

Your satnav is not allowed to warn you of the location of speed cameras. However the police are not allowed to inspect your sat nav without a search warrant. If your sat nav has had map updates in the past few years these will be compliant with current French law.

I am happy to be corrected on any of these points. LVC is the forum member who will be able to confirm what exactly French law requires of motorcyclists.

LVC
03-09-2014, 03:08 PM
+916 with SunEye - all good correct info :thumbsup:

Don't bother with the reflective stickers not even the French have them unless they're passing their bike test (instant fail if the stickers are not fitted) :mand:

Also don't let any Gendarmes bluff you into sound checks and BHP limits - they have no jurisdiction over non-French vehicles - they can do you for speed, drink, drugs etc. but twin termis with no baffle and a noisy open clutch and there's nothing they can do other than moan, same goes for mini number plates, etc. etc. lol

Dirty
03-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Also don't let any Gendarmes bluff you into sound checks and BHP limits - they have no jurisdiction over non-French vehicles - they can do you for speed, drink, drugs etc. but twin termis with no baffle and a noisy open clutch and there's nothing they can do other than moan, same goes for mini number plates, etc. etc. lol

Really? Didn't know that! Brilliant, I'm gonna pop over and annoy some French people :idea:

holty
03-09-2014, 06:13 PM
In France you must carry the breathalyser kit and an MOT certificate if required. Medical insurance is a good idea, but it must cover motorcycling. European Health Insurance Card. Both parts of your driving licence and the original V5, certificate of motor insurance and lastly breakdown cover. I normally carry £90.00 Euros just in case pulled for speeding.

SunEye
03-09-2014, 08:16 PM
In France you must carry the breathalyser kit and an MOT certificate if required. Medical insurance is a good idea, but it must cover motorcycling. European Health Insurance Card. Both parts of your driving licence and the original V5, certificate of motor insurance and lastly breakdown cover. I normally carry £90.00 Euros just in case pulled for speeding.
You don't need to carry a breathalyser. Technically you do, but there is no legislation that could give you a fine for not having one.

I don't think you need an MOT certificate. It is a UK document. I doubt that the French police are trained to identify, read and know the significance of such documents from foreign countries, especially when they have no such documents for motorcycles themselves.

Dukedesmo
03-09-2014, 08:49 PM
I normally carry £90.00 Euros just in case pulled for speeding.

Last time I got stopped for speeding in France, €90 wasn't enough.... :(

Dirty
03-09-2014, 09:02 PM
A string of onions and a Bretagne jersey will fool most gendarmes :)

SunEye
04-09-2014, 01:15 AM
A string of onions and a Bretagne jersey will fool most gendarmes :)
Probably only if you are on a bicycle or a mobylette ;)

Be careful using a Breton disguise. When found outside of Brittany the police will assume you are a member of the Breton Revolutionary Army and will arrest you as a terrorist ;) Speaking English isn't helpful in that situation because the police will assume you're speaking Breton and that will confirm their beliefs that you are a BRA activist ;)

I'm basing that on my experience of the French police who always seem unable to understand or speak English whenever I have encountered them. So how would they know the difference between Breton and English?

LVC
04-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Just lol - no, nope and non

The breathalyser campaign was dropped many moons ago.

MOT is not required for bikes so nothing to produce

Original V5 - nope colour photocopy works fine

Driving license - photo ID part is usually enough - has all the info they need

Insurance proof - yes

Breakdown cover - not necessary but good idea

Probably only if you are on a bicycle or a mobylette ;)

Be careful using a Breton disguise. When found outside of Brittany the police will assume you are a member of the Breton Revolutionary Army and will arrest you as a terrorist ;) Speaking English isn't helpful in that situation because the police will assume you're speaking Breton and that will confirm their beliefs that you are a BRA activist ;)

I'm basing that on my experience of the French police who always seem unable to understand or speak English whenever I have encountered them. So how would they know the difference between Breton and English?

LMAO - spot on SunEye :drunk:

NOTE: Caught speeding at more than 50kph over the limit (any posted limit) and it's an instant ban/ticket home with a possible impound and loss of vehicle - Les Flics will let it slide with a warning for up to 30kph over the limit if you're nice and they're friendly but after that and you'd better carry extra Vaseline :cens:

scrapps
04-09-2014, 12:19 PM
so vest
first aid kit
insurance proof
copy of V5
breakdown cover.

The breath test kit is no longer needed ?

cash for any fines ! :scratch:

slob
04-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Bearing in mind: You'll probably be in France for around 30 miles/minutes of motorway each way ;-)

Stafford
04-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Bearing in mind: You'll probably be in France for around 30 miles/minutes of motorway each way ;-)

Not us, we're coming via Le Harve :mand: A long, long weekend. :mand::mand:

LVC
04-09-2014, 03:12 PM
so vest
first aid kit
insurance proof
copy of V5
breakdown cover.

The breath test kit is no longer needed ?

cash for any fines ! :scratch:

:hissy: no hi-vis vest is not required, nor first aid kit , nor breath test, nor spare bulbs, nor warning triangle (for bikes), nor onions, nor baguette but for the rest "Oui" :woot:

Wasta
04-09-2014, 04:14 PM
On my recent venture around Europe I took none of the above, did not cover myself in reflective strips, squares or triangles and had a wonderful time.

I did take V5, insurance and MOT.

alan c
04-09-2014, 04:34 PM
So Hi Viz Then !:running:

Dirty
04-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Must need garlic? :)

Albie
04-09-2014, 05:00 PM
So Hi Viz Then !:running:

I always pack one in the backpack in case of emergency. Never needed but you never know.

LVC
04-09-2014, 05:43 PM
In bad weather wearing a hi-vis jacket is an excellent idea but is not a legal requirement over here :mand:

Rally
04-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Be warned all, they are resurfacing the A16 motorway for miles heading towards Belgium North of Calais. Even bikes are slowed up with no where to over take. It can add 30 mins on your journey if busy, especially when coming back to Calais.

Wasta
06-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Be warned all, they are resurfacing the A16 motorway for miles heading towards Belgium North of Calais. Even bikes are slowed up with no where to over take. It can add 30 mins on your journey if busy, especially when coming back to Calais.

A good point, I was slowed down there but traffic was light. They are efficient though.