PDA

View Full Version : Which monster for me????

muzzer
03-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi, opinions needed!
I've ridden a few Ducatis in the past, from 250 singles through Pantahs , Pasos and my current 750ss ie, but never a Monster, so I need some advice before biting the bullet.
The riding position on my ss is not exactly comfortable, I've tried adjustable clipons and lowering the seat height (I'm a short-@rse), but I still can't ride it for more than an hour without getting cramp or a stiff neck. Add to that the fact that it's a bit gutless and I'm coming to the conclusion I need a change :o
I'm currently looking at maybe a monster 996 S4R, any comments good or bad?
Cheers
Steve

Mr Gazza
03-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Ha..opinions are easy..:D

You won't go far wrong with a good M900.
Carb or injection make little difference. The injection ones are a little smoother and pull a bit harder is all.

My 750SS made me ache too. The more time spent sub 30mph the worse it was.
Without the headlamp cowl a Monster makes me ache after sustained cruising over 80mph,but I can't remember ever trying the fairing. The tension in my neck and shoulders goes as soon as the wind pressure drops.

Ride hieght can be easily adjusted up or down on the M-series Monsters and the later ones too I believe.

I struck Gold with a late "hoop" type M900Sie. It has fully adjustable suspension with Ohlins on the rear and Showa on the front, Goldline brakes, injection two valve engine and loads of standard carbon fibre....I'm just like a wee piggy in sh1te......:D

steeevvvooo
03-09-2014, 10:59 AM
budget is key IMO, as it what you actually want from the bike. Monsters with aftermarket bars, seats and rearsets may be comfy for you but much of it is trial and error.

Old aircooled bikes are simple to work on, tidyer looking and more "classic"

916/996/998 engined bikes have more power, but a big radiator can spoil the lines

696/796/1100/evo are a little more refined, more powerful than old aircooleds of similar CCs

821/1200 are probably out of range if you were looking at a 996, but if you are open to finance options could be a possibility

Dukedesmo
03-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Fairly new to Monsters myself but I find my M900 less comfortable than my 916 - maybe it's just me though?

I wanted (and got) an old-school 'classic' Monster although I have modernised it a bit. I enjoy it as much as the 916 but at lower speeds, the more upright riding position feels a bit 'big supermoto' to me and I've not tired of the mid-range grunt yet . :thumbsup:

muzzer
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies :-)

I was thinking of the air-cooled M900s, but the appeal of more power/newer suspension in the 996 is still pulling me that way. Plus I've seen a nice black S4R locally that I like the look of. I'll have to see if I can get a test ride.

Keep the info coming please!
Cheers
Steve

Dukedesmo
03-09-2014, 05:50 PM
I was thinking of the air-cooled M900s, but the appeal of more power/newer suspension in the 996 is still pulling me that way.

That was my thinking so I built an air-cooled M900 with more power, better suspension & brakes etc. - best of both worlds I reckon. :biggrin:

stopintime
03-09-2014, 07:21 PM
If the reach to the bars is an issue, the 696/796/1100 are much shorter there. The 796/1100 can be lowered to 696 height with 696 shock mounting clevis + accordingly lowered front.

The 1100 and maybe even the 796 will follow the S4R (and the S4RS in std trim) up to around 7,000 revs.