PDA

View Full Version : Nearly bought a striple

jerry
03-09-2014, 06:57 AM
My Nephew and I went for test drives on some used Triumph speed triples at the weekend ,, very nice bikes , superb monster like handling and comfort ,very torquey engine on the 1050 , but even with after market Zard or Arrrow pipes the sound and feel was Bland and feeble and the fuel consumption was very poor ,,,then my Nephew said stick with the Ducatis they have more character and he usually rides a GSXR ,

final negative was the Plastic fuel tank and when checking various Triumph forums the reports of lots of issues with the tanks ,warping and paint deforming from Gasohol in UK and excessive oil consumption ,

I was very tempted but at £4800 for a 7 year old bike with 30k was OTT

Darren69
03-09-2014, 08:32 AM
My 900 Trophy did 50k miles and then wore out the cam bearing surfaces, no shell bearings just straight on the head so the complete cylinder head and probably the cams too are scrap. I wouldn't have another.

SunEye
03-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Yes the Triumph 1050 engine drinks a lot of oil. Toured France with a friend riding a Sprint ST 1050 and over the course of about 2500 miles he had to feed it a litre of oil. Apparently Triumph don't think that's an issue.

Mr Gazza
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
The previous owner of my 955i Sprint didn't bother too much with feeding oil....I bought it with a siezed crank (Well nearly seized...I finished it off...:chuckle:).

I got a nice low mileage engine for it, and soon discovered that "Triumph" don't use one bolt when they can squeeze three in. They don't use one spanner size when they can throw in a torx head and an allen head. No worry if they run out of head patterns, just throw in a custom fastener that needs a special tool, or just use a non prefered allen or torx size. :nash:

I thought it was over engineered and very heavy...I was exhausted by the time I got it out of the shed and pointing towards the gate..

118bhp and 72ftlbs of torque sounds good, but in the event it just made it clumsy because there are very few places on the road where it can be used...Unless you need to be in three figures all the time.?
Gearchange clonky, fairing directed all the wind into my face, speedo figures too small to read..Bars too low for a tourer and too high and heavy for a sports bike...What's a Sports tourer ffs?

I owned it for 6 months and did about 700 miles on it...Should have aked me before you tried a "Triumph"..Could have saved you some time..:chuckle:

Used to know a company by the same name that made proper Motorbikes..:biggrin:

jonzi
03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
I have a Triumph 675.

It has leaked a little oil. But that was probably my fault

It burns a little oil, but that's probably cos I have it at the red line every time I use it.

The fuel consumption is poor, but that's probably cos I have it at the red line every time I use it.

The tank hasn't swollen.

Gear changes are smooth

It crashes well.

PaulV
08-09-2014, 05:30 PM
I too have a Trumpet. A 10 plate 1050 ST. It doesn't use oil, even without the recommended warm up. It is comfortable, quick, reliable, reasonably economical, excellent gearbox, well built but yes, it does lack a little character, sounds good on the overrun

Personally I would say a great bike if you need a bike to do everything on.