PDA

View Full Version : Even more rear ride height please !

01-02-2004, 08:47 PM
I want to quicken the steering even more than I already have. So far I've wound the swing arm rose joints about 9mm and raised the forks in the yokes about 4mm or so. Certainly improved it and I'm pretty happy with it to be honest. However I wouldn't mind trying a bit more. I'm reluctant to drop the front any more as I'm worried about ground clearance, so I need to lift the back. Can't safely wind out the rose joints any more. So I'm thinking only way is to extend the rose joint threads. Two ways of doint this maybe.

1) Just a male/female threaded extension piece. Easy enough to make but concerned that its design would necessitate it being too long. Basically all the 20mm threaded bit of the rose joint would have to be out of the hoop. Not keen on this.
(I suppose I could shorten the threaded section)

2) Procure a female threaded rose joint, M10 x 1.5, and use a short piece of same thread studding to connect it the hoop. Even easier to make but I need to buy the rose joints.

Rather than me re-invent the wheel has anyone already been down this route? If I do machine something, does anyone want a set?

fatbloke
01-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Take it to Dave Wood Racing (Aylesbury) he is the dogs bits for suspension set ups
01296 336750

Desmodue
01-02-2004, 09:51 PM
The female version already exists !

I have a pair already !

Contact bearing supplier and ask about SKF Female rose joints

If you have no luck, contact me on this site

01-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys.

Chef, I did a bit of research earlier today. :D That's the way I'll go. I'm pretty sure I can get stainless ones as wel.

Bearing Traders Ltd (http://www.bearingtraders.com/)

http://www.bearingtraders.com/images/16.jpg

Pedro
01-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Proto

you might want to think twice about having too much thread exposed as it will not be as strong as the hoop. I think Ferracci in the states show an aftermarket hoop amongst others.

Seem to remeber that Crust has a machined ally hoop on his M900 that added more height but kept threads short.

If it helps, my forks are raised about 22mm above the top yoke and I've not hit anything with the pipes.

Ped

crust
01-02-2004, 10:19 PM
speak to Stuart @ spareshack

I have a billet hoop and its got longer legs on it than the standard, he sells a different make and I'm not sure if they're extended or not.

:) Crust

pooh
01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Proto
I think you may get a shock when you price stainless rose joints they are about £60-00 each. I have lifted the rear of my bike 10mm and dropped the forks through an extra 10mm with no effect on ground clearance but I am running rearsets so if you are on standard footpegs you may have a problem.

Ian

Byron Kauffman
02-02-2004, 12:36 AM
with so many people switching to the aluminum loop, you should be able to find used stock steel units cheap. cut one up, weld in extensions so you could find the height that works for you before you spend big money on the good parts.

superlight3
02-02-2004, 07:13 AM
If you 'jack yerself up' (:eek: ) too much don't you have a problem with the chain hitting the top of the swingarm pivot?

Lee.

02-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Ordered some M10 female rod ends this morning. Option of standard, maintenance free or stainless. Went for maintenance free option. Cost £17.50 each plus vat. Stainless £49.50

Slightly shorter than male threaded version. So might give me a bit of room to play with, still a bit long though.

I'll let you know what happens.

05-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Female threaded rose joints arrived yesterday. They've got about 20mm of thread in them and are slightly too long to use "as is". So I'm going to machine about 10mm off them, (it'll ruin the plating :( ), make up a suitable length M10 stud and loctite stud into female thread and hey presto, longer threaded rod ends. Higher back end here we go.

Having said all the above i actually find the steerimg pretty good now but I have raised the forks in the yokes a bit, so by lifting the back some more I'm hoping to revert the front to standard set up.

As Lee has pointed out I'll have to check chain clearance.

More to follow ............... :D

PS I spok to Spareshack anbout different hoops. Aftermarket jobbie doesn't seem to be different dimensionally.

http://thamecinema.users.btopenworld.com/Monster/rod_end.JPG

Jay
05-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Hmmm, I want more ride height, can I, can I? Let us know what happens ay!

Pedro
05-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Proto

have you thought about a tyre change? Some of the more "race" oriented types will make the bike steer quicker ad won't cause the chain to rub.

Ped

retro
02-03-2004, 03:17 AM
Another option for height on wishboned monsters is to buy an adjustable height shock, which works very well with the heim joint adjustment.....yep it costs more, but it seems that people who want more clearance also appreciate better suspension performance.

johnypebs
19-03-2004, 01:02 PM
My steering is quick enough already, but the bottom rose joint on my S4 has no paint or plating on it and is a rusty mess. Why do they put a bare metal part in such an exposed visible place?