PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

Stuart42
29-08-2014, 07:13 AM
As you have probably seen over the last months,Stafford & I have built & raced an 888 at The Classic TT this year,and just wanted to thank all of you that offered help and kind words of support.

It was a massive achievement by Stafford to build the bike,and can't thank him & Liz enough for letting me ride such a beautiful bike.

Those of you who know me will know of my previous exploits over here, so it was a very emotional time for me to come back after 14 years to a circuit that nearly cost me my life.

The bike performed amazingly,and considering this is the first race bike Stafford built it held up to the toughest circuit in the world far better than some of the big teams that failed to finish.

As well as Stafford I'd also like to thank, Grumpy, Capo,Shuffy, UKsurfer, Char,Gordon & Utopia for helping with this project.

Luigi Moto helped build a stonking motor,as well as letting Stafford loose in his bits cave.

I had a fantastic time and plans are already being made for next year.

Many thanks to all once again.

Cheers Stuart

Shuffy
29-08-2014, 09:13 AM
It was nice to be a part of it all, if only in a very small way! A fantastic result and a superb ride Stuart, well done again. And good luck at Killalane, have fun but bring it home safe!

MrsC_772
29-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Well done Stuart - awesome achievement completing a race at the Isle of Man. (I'd take my hat off to you, but don't have a suitable hat - take your hat off to yourself Stuart!)

Having ridden round the course myself, the idea of averaging 97mph (never mind the speeds that the Dunlops, McGuinness etc achieve) past all the walls, pubs, village shops etc is totally mind blowing.

Well done Stafford and everyone else who got the bike on the road. :thumbsup:

If you wish to come over to Farnborough this Sunday for MotoGP on TV/BBQ and celebration, let me know ...

utopia
29-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Yes, very well done everyone.
A completely awesome achievement first time out on a brand new race bike on the toughest course in the world.
And it really was great to have played just a teensy weensy part in the whole effort.
So thanks to yourselves, big respect.....and big grins.

Grumpy
29-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Standing at the Creg, watching Stuart racing in the formula1 with the likes of Anstey and Dunlop brought a smile to my face.
Well done stu for competing and finishing, and considering the bike ' Emily' was built in Staffords conservatory, what an achievement

One of the comments made before the race was, I thought I was climbing a hill, I realised it was everest!....
roll on next year.

Capo
29-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Well done to all, I'm proud to have been of assistance.

What you take away from this is experience that will better prepare you for the next one.

Flip
29-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Absolutely fantastic result!!!

The re-launched-as-The Classic TT is definitely the best thing that could have happened to the Manx GP and I am convinced has brought in a whole new group of race goers by striking up a new interest in the Classic bikes or by re-kindling interest in bikes we all used to dream of owning.

In fact I think it could easily take over from the TT itself not only because of the quality of the riders it attracts (make no mistake- no one who goes there to race is a sh1t rider, regardless of whether or not they qualify) but also because of the quality and variety of the bikes they compete on.

I'm not trying to detract from the technological advances made by racing modern bikes (all bikes were modern once remember) but there is something more 'organic' about more basic machinery.

Once again well done to Stuart, Stafford and everyone else who made it happen- I just wish I could have been there to see it in person.

MerlinPV12
29-08-2014, 10:20 PM
An amazing achievemnt, conratulaions to all involved. I have huge respect for all the riders who take on the TT course. It was great to read the blog along the way too. Does anyone know if there is any ITV4 coverage of the week?

Flip
29-08-2014, 10:30 PM
The first showing was earlier in the week but it is repeated tomorrow (Saturday 30th) at 11:50am right after The Motorbike Show.

Twentytoo
30-08-2014, 06:09 AM
Big big big respect....well done...

uksurfer
30-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Well done to all, seems like almost last year when the idea was talked about in the pub!

I hope next year we can make it out to watch :spin:

alan c
30-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Well done Stuart, Stafford, Liz and all involved, fantastic achievement and I am sure a great experience.

Big respect to all :ukm:

MrsC_772
30-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Andy and I like the sound of a trip to the Isle of Man to cheer on Stuart at next year's Classic TT!

Stafford
30-08-2014, 02:04 PM
I'll just add a little to Stuart's thread as I've popped all my thank you's here http://celeresracing.blogspot.co.uk/

Fatal
03-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Andy and I like the sound of a trip to the Isle of Man to cheer on Stuart at next year's Classic TT!

Must admit I fancy visiting the manx/Classic TT,
Looking for advice from those of you who have "been there done that"
What sort of costs are involved
Ferry inc bike, where to stay etc
One option for me is to take my Happy Camper over, but I think the cost of the ferry would make it too expensive

Alan H

Stuart42
03-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Hi Al
Is nice to know you are looking to come over,is a great event.
Prices for a bike are about £120 return,van is about £400.
Loads of hotels,but also lots of homestays,homes opened as B&B's.
Douglas is capital so lots places to stay,eat,drink etc,is also where paddock is.
We've stayed at Peel which is really good,and preferred by those that stayed in Douglas this time.
There are also lots of camp sites that set up for the racing on football pitches etc.
There is an accom section on iomtt.com.
Best book quick as is getting very popular these days.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Stuart

Fatal
03-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks Stuart, First job is to soften up the missus to let me go ;)
If theres a UKMOC group going, then it sounds even better

Alan H

gary tompkins
03-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Well done to all the team

I stayed in Peel when I went to the IOM TT in 2003 and really liked it

Mand
04-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Well done chuck, we couldn't make the classic unfortunately, but you were ace at the Southern, which seems a million years ago now, so you going to Scarborough for the Gold Cup?

Mand and Dave

Stuart42
04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Hi Mand
No don't like Scarborough.

Al, there have been a few from here who have said may go,so maybe worth asking?

utopia
04-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm definitely keen to go next year.
BUT....initial investigations suggest that the ferry costs are higher during the manx/tt periods.
My info thus far is more like £240 return for a solo motorcycle.....!!!
Seems like the fare is doubled for those periods, though I may be missing something ......I didn't do the investigation myself.
I'm still keen but the high ferry price is the limiting factor.
Might pack a tent to keep costs down....maybe even doing a little guerrilla camping out on the mountain on the cheap and cheerful..
I was recommended to try a camp site on a football ground at St Johns, where they apparently do a decent breakfast in the pavilion.

Does anyone have any more info on the ferry prices ?

Fatal
04-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Just tried ringing Steam Packet, what a ferkin joke that company is
Fares for next year are not out until Oct/Nov
I ask if they could tell me how much it was this year, to give me a ball park figure
no one in the office could remember
It was only 2 weeks ago for flucks sake
she finally said she thought it was around £200 :eyepopping::eyepopping:

Alan H

Stuart42
04-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Welcome to the world of Steam packet.

Prices last year were £120 return. This was if you went for over for more than 5 days or if you used an overnight,thus less popular,sailing.
If there is a group maybe worth hiring a van and loading it up?
Am sure Grumpy will be able to tell you how much this year cost.

Fatal
04-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks Stuart
Sorry for hijacking thread, I will start a new thread soon, and in the mean time hopefully Grumpy will pop in and update us

Dirty
04-09-2014, 05:17 PM
http://www.skyscanner.net/flights-to/iom/cheap-flights-to-ronaldsway-airport.html ??

Fatal
04-09-2014, 06:21 PM
http://www.skyscanner.net/flights-to/iom/cheap-flights-to-ronaldsway-airport.html ??
Don't think they will let a bike onboard :look::look:

Alan H

Dirty
04-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Don't think they will let a bike onboard :look::look:

Alan H

Probably not but is a bike 100% necessary? Obviously those racing need one! :)

Fatal
04-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Probably not but is a bike 100% necessary? Obviously those racing need one! :)

I did once get the train too Liverpool, then foot passenger'ed over, then borrowed my old mans Lada to go round the course
It scarred me for life:freak::freak::freak:

Flip
04-09-2014, 09:09 PM
When I went for the TT a few years ago I got BA flight over and picked up a hire car at the airport all for way less than it would have been to take the bike over.

Plus you don't get some Cream (it) Packet numpty throwing dirty old ropes over your bike to tie it down and then packing in another bike so close they touch all the way over there!!

MrsC_772
02-10-2014, 05:28 PM
The Steam Racket released their 2015 prices (though not for the TT itself) yesterday (I had a Bac'n from them).

Andy and I booked last night to go over for the Classic TT. The website was very busy and it took a few attempts to get through. For the 2 of us, with a bike each, total was £270 (plus £3 to pay by credit card) for 5 day return crossings from Liverpool at civilised times.

Anyone thinking of going, I'd suggest you book ferries soon.

Accommodation on the island for Classic TT time was also heavily booked up - the booking.com site said 95% of hotel rooms were already booked for the peak bank holiday weekend dates we were looking at. Andy and I did find somewhere in Douglas, but there wasn't a lot available. When I tried putting the relevant dates into Tripadvisor it drew a blank.

I suspect there may be more available in the way of camping and homestays: worth looking at this website for info http://www.iomttbreaks.com/events/classic-tt-2015/accommodation and http://www.iomttbreaks.com/packages-and-tickets#20-0-32

Any moderators who want to move this to a separate Clasic TT thread, feel free!

BluprintZ
03-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Well done Stuart, Staff and all who contributed to a stellar effort.
I didn't manage to get over this year either unfortunately but the times that i have managed to get there, were by way of waiting until a few weeks before and searching for tickets on ebay.
I've done this about four times, there always seems to be someone who can't make it, for one reason or another, so it makes the trip a touch cheaper, plus i'm a tight-arse!
Anyway, once again, well done to all involved, believe me, i know how much time, effort and money is needed to pull this sort of thing off, so all being well, i'll be there next year to cheer you on.

G ; )

fireman sam
04-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Well done standing at the Creg next to Grumpy telling me all about your bike was interesting then getting on my 888 made me smile all the way home