PDA

View Full Version : Getting to MOT while SORN'd?

Shandy
20-08-2014, 08:26 PM
How do,

Quick question, it been a while since I've had to do this. Am I right in thinking its still ok to ride to a pre-booked MOT while the bike is on a SORN??

Bikes fully insured but no MOT (obviously) and no TAX either as that expired too.

Cheers,

Shandy

damien666
20-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes if it's all booked in and you've given them reg details.
Direct to testing station and back ( if it was to fail).

garry
20-08-2014, 08:34 PM
i believe thats correct, obviously on a pre booked test...

i did it last month anyway... 30 mile round trip..

FLATTOP
20-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Straight from the DVLA Sorn section on the website I have also done it prearranged.

You can only drive an untaxed vehicle on a public road if you’re driving it to or from a licensed station for a pre-arranged MOT, vehicle identity check, or weight or emissions test.

Shandy
20-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Cheers for that, trying to get an MOT tomorrow or Friday, can then decide of I want to tax now or wait until next spring, is summer over yet??.............decisions decisions!! :cool:

Akita Boy
21-08-2014, 08:24 AM
As said above if you've got a prebooked MOT then you can ride it to, and from the MOT station. But I'd make sure you get a photocopy of the booking in the garages diary and the name of the dude you speak to when you book it, as a pound to a pinch of 5hite you'll get caught riding it on the road by on of those mobile DVLA revenue protection cars and get an automatically generated fine through the post!

Darkness
21-08-2014, 08:38 AM
As said above if you've got a prebooked MOT then you can ride it to, and from the MOT station. But I'd make sure you get a photocopy of the booking in the garages diary and the name of the dude you speak to when you book it, as a pound to a pinch of 5hite you'll get caught riding it on the road by on of those mobile DVLA revenue protection cars and get an automatically generated fine through the post!

Agreed Akita, that would be my luck too, but the best proof is the MOT Pass Certificate which they know was issued at a specific time and location.
A Fail Certificate works too, but whilst its legal to ride directly home from the test without a valid MOT, it isn't legal to ride an unroadworthy bike at any time.
I hope your bike doesn't fail Shandy, but if it does, leave it with the garage for fixing, or arrange to collect in a van to be fireproof.

Akita Boy
21-08-2014, 09:02 AM
True Darkness, but I'd also get something to evidence the 'Pre booked' bit of the road tax exception, belt and braces and all that sort of thing!

Shandy
21-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Erm little late for me to do that, MOT done, all passed and back home!!

Time for tax!

hhmunro
21-08-2014, 02:48 PM
I have brought cars and bikes back from Mallorca with no MOT or tax,with a pre-booked MOT arranged, might be stretching the law a little, and to be fair, have never been questioned on it...

slob
21-08-2014, 03:56 PM
... Time for tax!

Since your tax will presumably run out 31/07/2015 any revenue chasers won't have much of a leg to stand on by next week if you did get spotted out there.

Dirty
21-08-2014, 06:01 PM
I have brought cars and bikes back from Mallorca with not MOT or tax,with a pre-booked MOT arranged, might be stretching the law a little, and to be fair, have never been questioned on it...

Ha ha, I like your style :)

Saint aka ML
21-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I took a Monster from NI to London for pre-arranged MOT. Guess am not alone :)

crust
21-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Oi oi, how's it going fella?

You making a re-appearance then?

Should have come to WDW this year.

Shandy
21-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Oi oi, how's it going fella?

You making a re-appearance then?

Should have come to WDW this year.

Yeah all good here ta crust, you??

With being married, two young kids, moving house (I did well it's a time machine, step through the front door and it's 1974 again) mate WDW 2024 might be my next chance to get to one of those!! Any encore drinking till dawn this year?

crust
21-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I'm good.

TWO !!! Little Shandy's, impressed (not that you did more tin minutes in the creation) :eyepopping: :eek:

No messiness at all mate, you were sorely missed :(