PDA

View Full Version : Colour Match

MerlinPV12
19-08-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to get a colour reference for the Gold colour used for the 916 decal - anyone know what it is or where best to get the info from please?

Thanks in advance

Mr Gazza
19-08-2014, 09:05 PM
If it is a printed decal there is a fair chance it is a Pantone colour.
If you can find a good Jpeg of the decal then you might be able to extract the Pantone code via a graphic software like Coreldraw or some such...Troube is each pixel might be a different colour so not an exact science by any means.

Best bet is to take a decal, if you have one, to an auto paint supplier and reference it to thier colour swatches.

The Golds and Silvers are a swine to match exactly. I managed to match the Brembo Gold on the disc carriers fairly well with BMW "Solid Gold".

MerlinPV12
22-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks Mr G. I've been in touch with Ducati, very nice lady provided frame and wheel gold references but nothing for the decals etc. I'm told by another contact inside Ducati that they lost all their paint codes pre 2004 - a bit careless!

I've ordered a decal set and will take if from there once I see it in the flesh - Hopefully I might get to speak to someone at Ducati when I go up for the Moto GP event next week - you never know! Anyway thanks for your input, appreciated.

Mr Gazza
22-08-2014, 07:47 PM
You are not letting on whether it's a custom decal you are after or just Gold paint to match?

In the case of a custom decal, you are halfway there with the decal you have coming.
Start by scanning the decal with the highest resolution you can.
Then import it to Coreldraw or a good graphic design software...Just plain old "Paint" might do.
Then you can trace over the decal making your alterations, so you have a complete new drawing. You should be able to pick up the Gold and drop it into whatever you want.
Your new decal can then be printed onto waterslide decal paper or self adhesive vinyl, both of which are cheap and available.
The problem is that it will need to be laser printed to make it fast enough for outside use, and in the case of a waterslide decal, to make it waterproof so it can be soaked off.

Not a big problem in itself except that laser printers capable of printing Golds and Silvers (metalics) are rare and expensive, and printing white is also a problem too. (Hence you would buy white decal paper)

Just a matter of taking your drawing to a suitable printer on a stick or disc, once you have located one. (files tend to be too big to email.!)

If it's paint you are after, the answer is as before. Just take the decal to a paint supplier and match to thier swatches.