PDA

View Full Version : First off...... :/

CrazyDuck
05-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Morning all.

Unfortunatly last night I had my first off. I'm ok, kind of. graze down my arm from the inside of my jacket, and my whole left side is aching.

Monster got off fairly lightly, but need some work. I have ordered a new gear shift off ebay, need the clutch looking at, new crash bung ( thankfully done the job and saved getting even more damage) and new bar end. few scratches to the screen and exhaust, but purly cosmetic damage.

I have no idea on anything mechanical, or where to even start looking to check for more damage, or even to start fixing her.

I'll try and get some pics up when i get home from work.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Quack.

squarehead
05-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear that Crazy, how did it happen?

Stued
05-08-2014, 08:56 AM
OOOOOPPPPS sorry to hear that, glad you're ok, the bike will fix, i'm sure if you put some photo's up we might be able to advise on the obvious

stu

CrazyDuck
05-08-2014, 09:54 AM
****ty gravel and mud crap. went to pull into what i thought was a layby but turned out to be the enterance to a farm :/

I'll try and do some pics while im at work, if not it will be tonight.

Zimbo
05-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Fear not, the 600 monster crashes really really well, you are very unlikely to have damaged anything serious. Fix the sticky out bits and it should be fine.
Did the engine run long on it's side? The engine oil pickup is on the right hand side, so running on the left side will starve the engine of oil. If the engine was shut off fairly quickly it'll be fine.

CrazyDuck
05-08-2014, 01:10 PM
I turned engine off as soon as I could. got up an when ****e she's still running! lovely man stopped and helped pick her up and get gear leaver back into a reasonable position so I could ride away. Will get pics up when I get home.

MerlinPV12
05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Main thing is that you're ok, but its still a horrible thing to happen - from the pics Flattop put up of his fixed bike Rosso Corse did a great job getting him sorted, could have them as a back up plan.... hope you're back up and riding soon :thumbsup:

Darren69
05-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Glad you're ok. I think the worst damage you could do in a low speed spill with a Monster is dent the tank with the handlebars. I've seen so many with dented tanks. Maybe the crash bungs will have stopped that. I'm thinking of putting some on mine for that reason.

CrazyDuck
05-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Only thing Merlin is the £££££ Don't have a lot of cash spare at the moment so trying to call in favours and maybe see if I can do things myself.

Darren they are so worth having! hate to think what damage would have been done if it wasnt for them!!

Darren69
05-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Maybe put a 'wanted' list of parts you need. I'm sure there are a few on here who may have what you need.

Akita Boy
05-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your 'off'

But the main thing is that you walked away with only bruised pride and (hopefully) only minor damage to the Monnie.

utopia
05-08-2014, 03:26 PM
If you were pulling into a layby or similar, then it must've been a pretty low speed crash.
Of course they can still hurt the rider, but I'm sure the bike will not have suffered anything more than cosmetic damage.
Its perhaps worth getting a mate who knows to give it a quick check over, but I'm confident you'll not need to be spending out on any professional repair work.
Most likely damage is probably that the forks have twisted in the yokes, so bounce them and check that they still move freely.
If you know that the wheels were dead in line beforehand, it would also be worth checking that they still are, but I'm guessing that you hadn't checked this (other than at mot time) so there's no way of knowing where any current misalignment has originated. Might still be worth checking though. I mention this mainly as a check to see whether the forks have twisted in the yokes. I wouldn't expect any more significant damage, eg to the frame, in such a low speed off.

Fix up the scratches (or learn to live with them) and you should be good to go without much expenditure.
If the bars are bent, Renthal "ultra low" alloy bars are a very close match to the std monster pattern, and can be had for £30 or so from most local aftermarket suppliers, or ebay.
Similarly, cheap Chinese billet levers can be had for under £20 a pair delivered, and the quality is pretty decent as long as you pick a colour which wont suffer too badly from anodising fade.

My Honda dominator was a cat D write-off after a point blank impact with a car which pulled out without looking.
I'd say that was about a 30 mph impact.
Other than the aforementioned twisting of the forks in the yokes, which was easily sorted, and some bodywork damage which I cobbled back together or just accepted, I fixed it up for the cost of a new set of bars (which were already hanging on the shed wall anyway) and a can of butane for my blowlamp in order to heat and straighten a bent clutch lever.
I'm still riding it 6yrs later.
So don't fret.

And, as I'm sure you are now fully aware, lay-bys and pull ins are notorious for being littered with gravel and general marbles as well as generally having poor surfaces, so its always worth getting virtually all your braking done on the road itself, before coasting in under zero braking, straightening up and then braking gently to a halt once the bike is upright again.

Mr Gazza
05-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Sorry to hear that CrazyDuck...What a bummer.

I could give it a wink over if you like...The bike, not your gravel rash..:eek:

In the mean time there is something you should check as soon as possible...

...Lift the tank and make sure that no battery acid has escaped onto the frame or engine, and rinse away any that you find, or suspect, with plenty of water.

You should be okay if the breather pipe is in place..Fingers crossed.

Hope you're not too stiff and sore today....:worried:

CrazyDuck
05-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys.

If you could Gazza that would be great... i didnt get any gravel rash! :p

My left shoulder is a bit sore but apart from that all apears to be ok.

Mr Gazza
05-08-2014, 08:52 PM
I'll try and get over before the weekend...PM me your whereabouts or your mobile..

Dirty
05-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Do you often wink over others people's bikes? :)

Mr Gazza
05-08-2014, 09:35 PM
We've all been there Dirty.......;)

CrazyDuck
06-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Have Pm'd you Gazza.