PDA

View Full Version : what oil....

CrazyDuck
17-07-2014, 04:31 AM
Morning all.
Please help a very confused Duck!
On my way home from work yesterday I noted that I need more oil, was too late at the time to go anywhere so thought I'd come home and make sure I know what I need. The Hanes manual I have says 10W/40, no problem I have some of that here, but it then says something about being SE, SF, SG or higher rating? The castrol oil I have already has no mention of a rating.

Thanks in advanced

Zimbo
17-07-2014, 11:10 AM
It will be fine, the rating relates to the "quality" of the oil in terms of standards me. S is for spark inanition, C for compression ignition (diesel) and the letter after relates to the quality. Most oils today are probably SJ at least. Your oil will have a rating, it's probably in small print on the back.
You should use motorcycle specific oils, as they have more complex carbon chains which are more resistant to being broken down than car oils. Bike oils have a harder life as the engines run at higher RPM and the oil usually lubricates the gearbox as well as the engine. Bike oils are also designed to run a wet clutch without slipping.

Nickj
17-07-2014, 11:16 AM
I just use off the forecourt auto-care semi-synth 10:40, I change it at about 3K so usually get a change in every 2-3months max with a new filter every other change.

In the next posts you'll find the suggestion that you only use brand x,y or z (eg castrol GPS/Power 1) at X2+ per litre or you will wreck the motor in a few miles. At a guess I spend IRO £80 less a year on oils which is a few 100 miles of fuel.

Mines done 75K on this stuff and seems to be quite happy so far.

If you have any doubts go for a bike specific oil, especially if you are a low annual miles rider as it doesn't cost that much to use over the year.

Dirty
17-07-2014, 12:15 PM
There have been lots of threads on this, and lots of opinions. Use the search box and search for jaso (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/search.php?searchid=2350046) and you'll get a few ideas