PDA

View Full Version : S4R handling

ac@39
12-07-2014, 04:44 PM
not want to hijack the other handling issue thread i'll start a new one..

got bike had front end judder .... steered wide

new front wheel bearings and replacement discs ... judder now gone

headstock bearings and fork bushes all good.. forks dont bottom out

rode like a bag of ****e and steered wide... tinkered with suspension a lot better ride but steers wide still... bike isnt jacked up or lowered at front end...

rear end feels good now
front rides better but just wont hold a tight line and have no feeling whats going on ... so tipping her in is a bit nervy.

running pilot powers 2ct front and back and not squared off -- what's a good pressure for these?

front end is stock rebound and compression and sag is 35mm .. i'm 12.5 stone in leathers

rear rebound is half turn out and compression 1 turn out and 10mm sag

any body else of similiar weight ?? what set up you got?

would lile to go round a round about but they're like square abouts at present

Flip
12-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Lift the rear up a bit and that should sort your running wide problem- it worked for me anyway.
It may of course lead to you noticing it kicking off bumps a little more at front though but worth the trade off unless you want to go the whole way and get the forks re-valved etc.

bluestoesonnose
12-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Wot we said, but don't go too far. Tried all.sorts with mine to get it to "feel" how I wanted, but I've gone back to stock as it's the best compromise, strange that the factory got it right.....

damien666
12-07-2014, 09:05 PM
I run 36psi rear and 32psi front if that helps.

Dirty
12-07-2014, 11:55 PM
I can confirm that jacking up the rear makes it go where you point it but has consequences :)

bluestoesonnose
13-07-2014, 04:19 PM
After todays 200 mile ride, I'm considering a steering damper. Yes I know I've generally "poopooed" them, I got a real "slapper" on out of a shell gripped corner!

Dirty
13-07-2014, 04:32 PM
After todays 200 mile ride, I'm considering a steering damper. Yes I know I've generally "poopooed" them, I got a real "slapper" on out of a shell gripped corner!

Blimey, it will be a GPI next :)

sapone cremoso
14-07-2014, 10:59 AM
+1 for back end up, front end down

jonzi
14-07-2014, 12:03 PM
+1 for back end up, front end down

I was going to quote 2-live crew but it's probably not family friendly

rollo22
14-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Might be worth checking Ducati specs for the original spec on ride height.

Nickj
14-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Rollos Idea is maybe best, go back to standard and then go from there. Almost randomly changing stuff gets you there in the end but systematic works best with suspension.

Oh and wider tyres front or rear have a big impact on general handling..
fatter front slows steering down, drop forks or raise rear to sharpen and you do get sharper turn in but the front will tuck in earlier. Same kind of thing happens with a fatter rear. Both change the loading on the carcas and have a big impact on the sidewall flex which affects ride quality, stability and wear as the active rubber is flexing eather than the carcas