PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil filter!!

Martin Duke
07-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Not on my Monster, but my 999. Got the bike out of the garage and onto the Abba stand after giving it a wash, fairings off, started it up and it was pi**ing oil out! Turned out to be a patch of rust on the filter casing that had corroded through - a tiny pin-hole. It was fine just a couple of weeks ago - but it is something that I will now be checking on both bikes in the future.

Fatal
07-07-2014, 09:28 AM
How long has it been on there ?
I change mine every year

Alan H

Nickj
07-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Awesome, you'd have thought the exposed filter on the monsters motor would be chipped to buggery but I've never had that happen. They do get changed every 2nd oil change and with oil changes at about 3K thats 2 a year :(
Even on the old honda 4's with the filter sticking out the front I never saw a rusty one.

popelli
07-07-2014, 05:44 PM
I change filters every oil change, cheaper than an engine rebuild should some crap circulate around the motor

Martin Duke
08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
It doesn't do the mileage that the Monster does - the oil and filter was changed two years ago. I have been running it without the fairings so perhaps it got a stone chip that removed a bit of paint and allowed the rust to start - it is closer to the road.
I have never seen anything like it on the Monster, or on the Cagiva Raptor I owned before.

Nickj
08-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Suppose there's very little metal and paint keeping the oil in, kind of surprising it desn't happen more often.