PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my bike :(

wezrvf
02-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Pretty gutted at the mo. After a lovely ride out I gave my bike a thorough clean and also cleaned and re-lubed the chain. As I was getting it off the paddock stand from the rear of the bike I noticed the side stand wasn't fully down. Well, it went over. Didnt like seeing my evo on the floor :( I managed to grab it and sort of got under the rear so it didn't fall hard. The r&g's did there so job so no damage to paintwork or anything. It did snap my clutch lever and also bent my gear lever. HELP !!!

Does anyone have these they want to sell.

I was wondering if I should use it as an excuse to get new levers but not sure what works with the Brembo set up. Any help will be good.

Cheers guys, from a pretty sad Wez :(

bazread
02-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Gutted for you Wez, apart from crashing my worst fear is dropping it off the paddock stand. Little consolation but at least there wasn't too much damage. Time to buy some nice Pazzo levers or cheap Chinese copies???

LouSCannon
02-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Been there done exactly that, you only tend to do it once to remind you to check the side stand in future so look on the brightside :)

wezrvf
02-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks. I have been rolling my bikes off rear paddock stands for years, pull slightly to the left and it gently falls on the side stand, not this time!!

Defo back to school on this one.

I HAVE to se it as an opportunity to get snazzy levers. PAZZO it is!!

jonzi
02-07-2014, 08:34 PM
ASV levers are unbreakable.

My bike slid down the road at 30mph and the clip ons snapped but the levers stayed intact

wezrvf
02-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Just been looking at ASV. pricey hey!

J.P
03-07-2014, 06:40 AM
It's a terrible sight to see it slipping and not being able to do anything about it.
Hopefully replacements won't take too long to arrive.

SunEye
03-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I like my V-Trec Vario levers. They are adjustable in length to suit you and flip up when you drop the bike (which won't happen once you fit them ;) ). They cost about £100 for a pair.

Darren69
03-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Factory Racing do some nice fold up ones and reasonable price too. Think I paid £60 for the pair.

wezrvf
03-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Cheers guys.

New gear shifter from Ducati £50. I didn't think that was too bad so got it ordered. I have bought a cheap alloy lever off Ebay to tide me over until i decide what to do.

ASV are just a bit pricey i think. They look great though.

Dirty
03-07-2014, 04:31 PM
I just got a pair of cheap Chinese levers from ebay. They look great and work. I like the asv ones but would prefer if they didn't say ASV all over them.

jonzi
03-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I just got a pair of cheap Chinese levers from ebay. They look great and work. I like the asv ones but would prefer if they didn't say ASV all over them.

How would I let people know I paid a lot of money for them if they didn't say ASV all over them?

Dirty
03-07-2014, 04:46 PM
How would I let people know I paid a lot of money for them if they didn't say ASV all over them?

:chuckle: That is my reasoning in reverse. People know I'm an idiot just by looking at me so I prefer not to label the fact :mand:

utopia
03-07-2014, 05:26 PM
I fitted a pair of cheap Chinese levers this year.
So far I'm delighted with them.
Span adjustable, nice looking and more rigid than the originals (which actually gives a significant improvement to the feel of the front brake).
All for under £17, delivered.

I have a short piece cut from an old bicycle inner tube, about 20mm long, on the outer end of my throttle grip.
When putting the bike on the stand, I stretch this over the brake lever to hold the front brake on.
Saves it running away from you and gives a bit more chance of making a save if it starts to go over.

Dropped mine into a lamppost a while back......ugly dent in the tank.
But this ultimately lead to a complete colour change and now the bike is as I always wanted it to look.
Every cloud.......

ASVs are nice, but why would you want to advertise the fact that you'd paid ten times as much for levers which were little if any better than the cheap Chinese ones ?
I'd be keeping quiet about such poor accounting.......:mand:

Capo
03-07-2014, 05:57 PM
You forgot to mention the dominator to which I was a witness

bluestoesonnose
03-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Price them up new, I was very surprised how cheap the levers were when we went through this.

If the gear lever isn't too bad you can use some soft soap as a gauge and heat and rebend it. Just buy a new genuine clutch lever, and then an Abba Stand!

utopia
03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
You forgot to mention the dominator to which I was a witness

Ah yes, good of you to mention that......:biggrin:
Though that was just sheer carelessness while just moving it around in a confined area.

For anyone interested, I was wheeling it around outside the shed, took too tight a turn away from the side I was standing and just chucked it on the ground....and dived on top of it .
Truth be told, I may have been mildly hampered by trying to avoid Capo, but no excuses, it was just careless.
Fortunately no damage that the Dommie doesn't just shrug off.
But had the tank taken a bad dent I would have turned it positive by chucking away all the bodywork, fitting an ally xt/tt500 yam tank, and converting it to the street-tracker that it has been dying to become for years now.
Cup half full........;)

jonzi
03-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Norton Dominator?

Bonzo
04-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Gutted for you wezrvf :(

Same thing happened to me a while ago, after my lad sat on it then got off without putting the side stand down fully. After the initial feeling that I wanted to execute him I calmed down to realise that as only the clutch lever, gear lever & linkage rod & mirrors, where knackered, it could have been so much worse. Not a mark on the cases, tank panels, frame etc. (glad I had fitted some front spindle bobbins).

Thanks to the help of the many kind people in this great club, I was back up & running in next to no time & with minimum expenditure :thumbsup:

wezrvf
04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I was exactly the same, i was searching for a scratch on the engine casing, frame and tank and not a mark, there was barely a mark on the R&g's. I did throw myself under it though, and it didn't really fall fast. Even the bit that popped off the end of the clutch lever didn't have a scratch on it. Glad i had the r&g's though. If i would have scratched the frame i think i would have vomited. ;)

utopia
04-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Norton Dominator?

No, Honda.
I wouldn't have been so casual about it if it was a "proper" Dommie.
Its tidy, but its a workhorse rather than a minter so it needs to shrug off a bit of gentle abuse from time to time.
The trailie style short wheelbase, large steering lock and high centre of gravity caught me out......this wouldn't have been an issue on a roadster.

I do own a Commando though (which is near enough a proper Dommie) but that's been a basket case since I bought it in 1979.
One day though.........