PDA

View Full Version : Link Pipes...42mm

Mr Gazza
01-07-2014, 09:47 PM
I am hatching a scheme to fit some rather naughty little "Silencers" to my M900.

The project depends on obtaining, or making a pair of suitable link pipes.

The link pipes are to fit into a standard low level "M" series exhaust.

They need to be bent in such a way as to exit the standard exhausts and then line up to the center line of the standard silencer....I think I might be describing ordinary link pipes for a low level system? But there may be a difference.

They need to be a constant 42mm OD along thier whole length. I cant have any flares or flanges.

They will go INTO both the exhausts and the silencer, and could well need to a bit longer than normal link pipes to enter the new silencers. Whereas I believe that most link pipes fit ONTO the silencers?

Interested in looking at what anyone has to offer, or any hints along the way.

Cheers.

bluestoesonnose
01-07-2014, 10:04 PM
I have a set of M Series link pipes but not too sure if they're what your after. I also have all the stainless tube bits (minus the tig welder) to make a bespoke set up. Had a few quotes for making some up in stainless to my specs and it ranged from £60 to £100 a pair. In the end I found a set of S4 after market 50mm stainless pipes for £50 which were like new....

Mr Gazza
02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks Blues.

I won't need any welding, just bending, as the pipes need to be 42mm throughout.

However if it turns out to be easier to make the pipes from sections of pre bent tube then welding will be required.

The prices you mention seem a little more than I thought I would have to pay, as the brand new silencers are only 90 quid for a pair, and I can get a 3 meter length of SS tube for £18 posted or Marine grade for £24.
I have seen new link pipes for £80 though, so that seems to be the ball park.

Getting the tube bent might be problematic. It looks like they need to take on an "S" shape and also change plane too..!!..Way beyond my capability.

So far I have not seen for sale any 42mm SS bends. Pehaps I could get a 3M length and have a couple of large bends put in so I could cut and shut.....Getting complicated aint it?

crust
02-07-2014, 07:29 PM
You could try giving Mark Hill a ring

http://www.mhpexhausts.com/index.php

Mr Gazza
02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks Crust.
I can't work out from his site what part of the world he is in.? It's a bit squashed up.!

Seems like a good call though, i have his number.

When I need professional help it will be time for a visit to Nick Paravani at Bunns Bank, Attlebourgh. He is a legend with tube.
He made me a Stainless 2 into 1 exhuast for my hybrid Ajay years ago. I was kind of hoping not to spend too much on this particular project though...:cool: