PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

chris.p
26-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Took my M1100 evo out for first ride last night, now I know the suspension on my 748r was top spec etc, but was a bit surprised how poor the 1100 felt in comparison, I know I need to sort out the settings etc, but am seriously thinking of another shock, has any one changed there rear shock?? if so, what did you change it for.

Albie
26-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Took my M1100 evo out for first ride last night, now I know the suspension on my 748r was top spec etc, but was a bit surprised how poor the 1100 felt in comparison, I know I need to sort out the settings etc, but am seriously thinking of another shock, has any one changed there rear shock?? if so, what did you change it for.

Rollo has a better rear one.

rollo22
26-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Mupo make a good range of shocks info@desmoperformanceparts.com

Nitron shocks in Witney also http://www.nitron.co.uk

Ohlins also

chris.p
26-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks, just sent Nitron an email as they only show the M1100, not the Evo, will check out the other link.

Cheers.

Albie
26-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks, just sent Nitron an email as they only show the M1100, not the Evo, will check out the other link.

Cheers.

Same shock. Same frame different exhaust ;)

SunEye
26-06-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm not convinced that there are any default factory settings for the suspension. My rear was set so that if you pushed it down you could have used a stopwatch to time how long it took to return to its resting position. I know the suspension on the evo isn't top spec, but with a bit of tweaking it can be made to behave much better than how it left the factory/dealer.

CK & AK
27-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Chris, unless you brought from 1 of 2 dealers in the UK, you will find that the suspension from factory is pretty rubbish, most dealers dont touch the suspension on a new bike & you'd be amazed at how many people ride around on rather odd settings, tho unless they have ridden a properly set up bike, then they'd not always know........
Try to get it set up properly for your size/weight mister, if still struggling, drop AK a message via FB :)

C

chris.p
27-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Charlotte, picked it up second hand only 800 dry miles on the clock, was well shocked at how bad the suspension was, but then again i should not have surprised really, after the 748R with k-tech front end and ohlins rear, all set up for my weight correct springs etc.
Will initialy have a play, but have spoken with reactive suspension, he said bin the rear (sachs) it's crap and it will cost you a grand for new internals on the front (Marzochi):eek::eek:
So a bit of home work is the next task, but a new rear shock is looking like it will be needed. ho hum.

pompone
27-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Same shock. Same frame different exhaust ;)

Not quite, rear subframe design is ever so slightly different, hence why the one I sell for the m696/796/1100 cannot be fitted to an EVO. On this page AB1 and AB1 EVO are for the Evo and all new ones , AB2 for the others new ones only as well as classic monsters.
desmoperformanceparts.com suspensions page (http://www.desmoperformanceparts.com/suspensions/4583502170)

chris.p
27-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Not quite, rear subframe design is ever so slightly different, hence why the one I sell for the m696/796/1100 cannot be fitted to an EVO. On this page AB1 and AB1 EVO are for the Evo and all new ones , AB2 for the others new ones only as well as classic monsters.
desmoperformanceparts.com suspensions page (http://www.desmoperformanceparts.com/suspensions/4583502170)

Ok, so which one do you recommend and how much will it cost me please.

daveb996
27-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Chris i changed my rear shock on my M900 yr 2000. I'm not too far from Maxton Engineering in Cheshire who do a lot of work for BSB racers and the like so i thought if its good enough for them. They kind of new what would fit so i sent them my old shock and they sent the new and the old back i just got my local dealer to do all the fitting. Its the best mod i had done it went from wooley to wow. The shock was based on my weight, not cheap but like i said best mod i had done about 350 quid i think it was. I'm about to drop the bike into kaise in atherton for the front forks to be serviced and re sprung. I used them before on a 996 SPS i had once and it transformed the bike. I had the lower stantions nitrided gold, looked really good, they can do the whole fork too. Its the kind of place you visit looking at spending a few quid and end up spending a lot more. Bit like Super Dry or Dainese shops:flamed: Hope you get it sorted.

Black Bob
27-06-2014, 08:26 PM
I have a Nitron 3-way on my Evo and it is great.

Mr Gazza
27-06-2014, 08:41 PM
If anyone can say if a shock from an Aprilia Mille would fit, I can put you in touch with someone with a brand new unused Ohlins.

pompone
28-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Ok, so which one do you recommend and how much will it cost me please.

I would recommend the ab1 unless you're a very, very fast rider and race your bike.
The difference between Mupo and others is that the stuff they race is the same they sell. Take a production basic Ohlins: I'm sure they work well but once you get over the bling the materials are mostly cast and with old-ish technology I.e. No DLC coating, no high-low settings etc.
Re price they're very, very competitive for what you get.

bazread
28-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Ohlins website do not list an Evo specific shock, they list the DU737 to fit the 696, 796 & 1100.

What is the Ohlins model number for the Aprilia shock?