PDA

View Full Version : wont start

duke900
29-01-2004, 04:55 PM
I have taken my other monster apart to repaint engine and give a good clean, now the bike wont start, I have power but press the start button nothing happens, stater motor is ok using an old trick of screwdriver between points on coil the motor spins can any one help.

spacemonkey
29-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Solenoid? Ok, It's a starter Relay on these. Hidden somewhere under the battery tray. Try just the connections

newland
29-02-2004, 01:39 PM
I have the same proplem one minute no problem riding happy started first time after long lay up, the next time i went to start it , nothing

have you solved your problem ? otherwise it is going into the shop ...

spacemonkey
29-02-2004, 02:22 PM
See above... you could try tapping the relay with a metal object and it might unstick it. I bet it is the relay..

johnypebs
16-03-2004, 07:49 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my old m900, the starter relay is sh!te. Change it, for a Japanese one.

steviej
16-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Might sound like a silly question, but is the relay connected the right way round? ie. lead from battery, lead to starter!!!

I speak from experience. Believe me!!

Desmodronic
17-03-2004, 08:36 AM
I have a M600 and mine suffered from the same starting problem. My dealer told me it is a common problem and not to worry:

On the right side of the bike, locate the starter solenoid - under the fuel tank and can be located without lifting the tank. The solenoid should be a bronze colour (unless corroded!), trace to a block connector adjacent - this is the problem! The block connector suffers from corrosion. If you "jiggle" this connector and the bike then starts you have found the problem and you need to take it apart and use some contact cleaner or WD40 should suffice. Failing that, I believe soldering is the only other option if the corrosion is too bad.....

Hope that helps!! By the way, anyone fancy buying a M600 Metallic Y reg????