PDA

View Full Version : Monsters at Muckleborough

Stued
23-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm ruminating over the thought of arranging a ride out for the Nor folks amongst us to the Muckleburgh Collection, at this point if i knew how to put a link in i would have, however google (or your chosen search engine) could help you here.

The loose outline of the plan is; everyone meet up somewhere for Breakfast / Coffee and a natter, ride for about an hour, not necessarily in the direction of the Muckleburgh Collection, have a tea break, then ride to the collection, at that point those that don't want a wander round can break off.

here's what i've thought of so far, Meet up at 09.30 for brekkie at Lathams at Potter Hiegham, ride out via Caister northwards up the coast road and somehow end up at the Clifftop Cafe in Cromer for tea and cakes then a roundabout route to the Collection. and afterwards we could maybe do a curry?

Date to be confirmed, but thinking sometime in August, willing to listen to alternate ideas as to meet point, direction of travel. Can all who's interested add your name below:

Come on you know you want to

I'll start

Stu and Eva

LouSCannon
23-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Heya Stu, I'm interested in this, will need be towards the back end of August for me...

utopia
23-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Might be good to avoid the weekend of the Fenman Classic Bike Show, which I believe is on 25 august this year.

edit.....then again, that is the bank hol Monday, so maybe just avoid that day.

Mr Gazza
23-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Sounds like a plan Stu..

I found the link....

http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/news-events.htm

Could be quite an epic ride...I could take you up the Muckleburgh Hump..:gay:

Best to avoid the bank holiday weekend, which is also the Fenman I believe.

Sadly there are always a lot of muppets about the Coast in August. That's just the way it goes....Count me in though..:mand:

Dirty
23-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Tanks for the link Gazza :)

StevieL
23-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a plan, its been a few years since I last made the Fenman so hoping to do that this year, add Steve and Eirene to the list please. We may have to utilise a support vehicle as cream horns can become dangerously unstable in August heat, I'm also willing to bet that if you wore a mankini in Norfolk you would be sh*gged or shot or both very quickly........atb Steve

Grumpy
23-06-2014, 08:34 PM
If I'm back from the Manx in time, the Fenman is a must.It's a great show, well worth the day out.
As for a run to the Muckleborough collection, haven't been for years, sundays are good, so count me in.

Mr Gazza
23-06-2014, 08:40 PM
....... in Norfolk you would be sh*gged or shot or both very quickly........atb Steve

Hopefully the later first..!!!

Stued
23-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Ok to address the early issues.......

Dirty you have a rapier wit.
Gazza thanks, I would never have been able to track that link down without a bloodhound.
Stevie, get the instabilty of cream horns, but mankini's in Norfolk, now there's modernism for you.

Apologies for writing as i think, hopefully its understandable, the Fenman Rally is the 25th of August, so that weekends out (i'd like to go though), the weekend of the 30th is out as we go to Norway the following week to celebrate Eva's mums 80th, so its going to happen on the 17th of August

Thought about the day, itinery as follows:
Meet up at Lathams at 09.30 for brekkie, leave approx 10.30 and ride through Martham, Horsey, Waxham, Sea Palling, Happisburgh, Bacton, Paston, Mundesley, Overstrand, to Cromer for tea / coffee and CAKES then on to Muckleburgh.

I'll start the list again
Stu & Eva

Mr Gazza
23-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Stu & Eva
Gazza.. Mankini packed and ready.

LouSCannon
24-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Stu & Eva
Gazza.. Mankini packed and ready
LouSCannon (Prov, will confirm when back from Spa on the 10th)

StevieL
24-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Stu and Eva
Gazza and mankini
LouSCannon tbc
Steve and Eirene

Stued
25-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Having checked with Grumpy the list is now

Stu and Eva
Gazza and mankini
LouSCannon tbc
Steve and Eirene
Grumpy

WayneO
25-06-2014, 01:38 PM
If I'm still free I'll come along for a wee ride :-)

Mr Gazza
25-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Somebody always stops for a wee on a Norfolk run...:chuckle:

Stued
25-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Bit below the belt!!!

Dirty
25-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Who wears a belt with a mankini, that would be silly!

Stued
30-06-2014, 06:39 AM
For all those that missed this, I'll put it back up

The more the merrier!

Stued
01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Stu and Eva
Gazza and mankini
LouSCannon tbc
Steve and Eirene
Grumpy
Wayne

Lathams is by the river in Potter Heigham

CrazyDuck
02-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Any Sunday's are good for me :) someone will have to remind me closer to the time but I'll be there!

Stued
07-07-2014, 06:33 AM
To help with those planning breakfast / coffee before the run the post code for Lathams Potter Heigham is NR29 5JE

Mr Gazza
07-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Ah...! Lathams of Potter Heigham.... Quite a famous establishmet as it goes, can't say as I've ever set foot in the place myself but I passed it one or two times on my way to the "Music Bar" just the other side of the bridge. A very popular haunt of mine back in the day, and a good Bike hotspot at times too...:biggrin:

It's a nice little GAGgle of holiday flats now....:grump:

http://www.lathams-potter-heigham.co.uk/

CrazyDuck
06-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Fingers crossed I'll be back on the Monster by then, will confirm closer to the time.

Mr Gazza
09-08-2014, 02:32 PM
It's getting close guys and ladies.....:mand:

Cream horns are being filled as I type.....:mand::mand:

Stu and Eva
Gazza and mankini
LouSCannon tbc
Steve and Eirene
Grumpy
Wayne
CrazyDuck

LouSCannon
11-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Given the hole in my radiator from Spa afraid I'm going to have to sit this one out, have fun guys, catch the next one!!

Mr Gazza
11-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Sorry to hear that LouSCannon..:grump:

How did you get the 'ole?

LouSCannon
12-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Got it during the last session at Spa (Before the rain). Very lucky not to have had a very nasty accident, but a pain in the arse none the less. Dropped it off yesterday, never know might have it back before the weekend.

Mr Gazza
15-08-2014, 12:52 PM
A shameless bump for the run from Lathams of Potter Hiegham. 9.30am Sun 17th Aug.

Sorry for the pre digital quality. It was 1976 or 77, something like that?

View from Potter Hiegham Music Bar car park, on the occasion of a visit from the National Chopper Club. There were many hundreds of bike...You could smell the patchouli oil from Norwich..:chuckle:

http://i60.tinypic.com/124k6d1.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/xbikq0.jpg

utopia
15-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Blimey, if I'm not mistaken that's a rigid triumph frame....with a sprung-hub....!!!!
I used to have that particular combo myself, in the early 70s....though it never actually got much beyond the semi-built stage.
Had the frame raked by Uncle Bunt, no less.....who operated out of a shack in the woods at the time.
And 7 inch over, teles, if memory serves.
Gave that lark up eons ago and sold the bits...you never know, those could even be the very ones.
Still enjoy the odd splash of patchouli to this day though, tbh.

Mr Gazza
15-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Uncle Bunt of Didcot? and Triumph RoadRunner fame?

I had an awful Thunderbird "Chop" with swinging arm and Sprung hub too, for good measure.!

I got rid of the rear end and grafted on a Beeza plunger rear frame.
I had 6" over girders made by MC Cycles in Watford I think or maybe St Albans?

I too sold the bits off before it was completed...Some dreams are best forgotten....:chuckle:

emzedder
15-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Hoping to join you guys at Lathams albeit not on a Monster! Like the period chops outside what was Tigers bar (showing my age)

utopia
15-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Uncle Bunt of Didcot? and Triumph RoadRunner fame?

Yup, it would've been somewhere around that neck of the woods.
There can surely only have been one.
Don't remember anything about a Triumph Roadrunner though.
Actually, there were two of them....John Read was one name.
They both had longer hair than I'd ever seen before, up to then.
And a seriously good workshop stereo.

Mr Gazza
15-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Just for you Utopia, and lovers of "Period Chops"...:mand:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2zz811i.jpg

Never knew it was called Tigers Bar. I always called it the Music Bar.!
Just did a bit of reading and found out that the whole thing burnt down in 1990...What a sad loss..:worried:

Be good to see you on the run Emzedder, I might even bring along more sepia picures of chops just for you...:chuckle:

Stu and Eva
Gazza and mankini
LouSCannon tbc....if the rad gets fixed.?
Steve and Eirene....Somewhere along the way.
Grumpy
Wayne
CrazyDuck
Emzedder

Stued
16-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Hours to go............ really looking forward to it

Grumpy
17-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Sorry guys,not going to make this outing :(
See you when I'm back from the Manx.

Stued
17-08-2014, 07:32 PM
What a great day out!
Good to meet emzedder, and Gazza and a pity others couldn't make it.

Was up at 6.30 to grey skies, but the rain held off for a time right up until 10.30 so we retired inside Lathams till it stopped, then off we went, didn't see the rain again. The road was a bit sketchy what with in some places liberal doses of sand and gravel from rain wash off, also a bit blowy with the wind. I need to do a bit more research when arranging a ride out as it was Cromer carnival this weekend............ and there was a planned stop there! Luckily we arrived at a quiet time.

All in all a day that I enjoyed. Roll on the next Norfolk run.

Ps why is the seat on my Monster shaped such that when heavy braking on the front down hill the pillion forces you down and into the tank?

Mr Gazza
17-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Well it decided to rain just before the off from Potter, and although it only dampened the road it made me nervous...A manhole cover seemed to appear on the apex of every bend..!!

I finally caught one on a very tight right hander with a junction to the left and a car waiting to turn right into it. My back wheel stepped out over the cover and I slapped my foot hard on the deck to finish the bend off speedway style....Rather uncoventional! but it got me round in an untidy sort of way!..and only at walking pace too.

I haven't covered so much of the Coast road for many years on a Sunday.:rolleyes: In August.:spin: During Cromer Carnival week...:chuckle:....But hey. It dried out, the scenery is always good along the route and we were out among freinds having fun on our Ducatis..:mand:

Maximum restraint was required when a spotty young Army Cadet announced to Emzedder that he was going to get his Darmah on the road when he had finished with his 125...:Furious:

Maximum amusement was afforded by Stu when we left the Tank Museum, with his bike issuing a brilliant replication of automatic weapon fire as we circumnavigated the complex....:chuckle:

A Grand Day out.. Thanks to Stu and to Eva and Emzedder.

Next outing should be on the first weekend of September...Details to follow.

utopia
17-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Glad the day turned out ok.
I was thinking of maybe coming along but the weather forecast put a band of rain precisely over my route from 7.00am until nearly midday, and its always disheartening to actually set off in the rain.
Weather looks possibly better for next weekend.
Might nip over for the Fenman.

Mr Gazza
18-08-2014, 04:18 PM
It would have been really great to see you Utopia, but you are right. You would have been assured of a soaking somewhere along your route.

Not sure who's going to the Fenman this year. I tried to test the water but got no response.
So I'm not sure if there has been a mood swing away from the meet, after the very sad outcome last year?

I was looking forward to introducing some of the new Norfolk faces to some of the other UKMOC members.

utopia
18-08-2014, 04:51 PM
See new post on Fenman thread.

emzedder
18-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Nice run out with the guys, weather could have been better but didn't detract from good company and ride out. Interesting chat with Army Cadet from Leicester who appeared to be doing annual camp at Thetford battle area with an almost identical itinery to me 40 years ago! Good to speak to kids that are excited about bike in same way I was at their age.

Grumpy
18-08-2014, 08:01 PM
It would have been really great to see you Utopia, but you are right. You would have been assured of a soaking somewhere along your route.

Not sure who's going to the Fenman this year. I tried to test the water but got no response.
So I'm not sure if there has been a mood swing away from the meet, after the very sad outcome last year?

I was looking forward to introducing some of the new Norfolk faces to some of the other UKMOC members.

I'm not sure there has been a swing away from going to The Fenman, It was myself who organised last year, most of the members who went have other commitments this year, including myself, other wise I'm sure we would be going.

I can only repeat my thoughts from the other thread to the guys in the club, if you have never been to this event, go!
The Fenman is one of the most enjoyable events on the biking scene in East Anglia. The whole village welcomes the many visitors each year. Tea and cake is available from the Wi, local church and various charities. The pub is open all day for drinks and food. The day has a relaxed feel which is very enjoyable, and the eclectic mix of bikes, both in the show and just turning up, is worth the day by its self!