PDA

View Full Version : K&N Pod filter upgrade

AshM750
22-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi all,
I have just bought some pod filters for my 97 m750, i have removed the air box and placed filters on but what happends to the 2 pipes that went into the air box ? I cant find nothing about it.
Thanks for your help.
Ash

DrD
22-06-2014, 08:32 PM
One will come from the oil vapour canister on left side next to shock mounting - disconnect and replace with crankcase filter - like so: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270741034088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Flip
22-06-2014, 08:33 PM
.....if you still have the standard CV carbs fitted- they don't like it up 'em!!!

They do sound and look good though!!

DrD
22-06-2014, 08:36 PM
If I remember correctly the second is just a drainage tube so that can be junked (into your box of parts removed)

AshM750
22-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks very much you saved me so much time :woot:

AshM750
22-06-2014, 08:50 PM
P.S i have used a jet kit and serviced carbs aswell.

Flip
22-06-2014, 09:15 PM
The problem with fitting pod filters to CV carbs is that they reduce the velocity of the air going into the carb making the motor run lean at almost every given throttle position because the carb slides will not be getting the air speed to lift them properly (CV carbs need air speed to make them work not volume).

Not trying to tell you something you may already know and have worked out but you say you have fitted a 'jet kit'- what was it for?

I am pretty confident any tuner will tell you not to fit them with CV carbs as they won't supply air fast enough down the intake for the carbs to work.

Dirty
22-06-2014, 09:25 PM
The problem with fitting pod filters to CV carbs is that they reduce the velocity of the air going into the carb making the motor run lean at almost every given throttle position because the carb slides will not be getting the air speed to lift them properly (CV carbs need air speed to make them work not volume).

Not trying to tell you something you may already know and have worked out but you say you have fitted a 'jet kit'- what was it for?

I am pretty confident any tuner will tell you not to fit them with CV carbs as they won't supply air fast enough down the intake for the carbs to work.

I thought you could get round that with a dynojet 2 kit? http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=488232#post488232

AshM750
22-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I have fitted the dyno jet kit. From the reviews i have read there have been no issues and performance has increased.

Flip
22-06-2014, 09:52 PM
The way I always understood it was that the Stage two kit is designed for a standard air box with a modified (read cut open) lid and the usual race cans/full system etc. (which is what my 900 runs).

With an open air box the air speed into the carbs is maintained due the velocity stacks still being in place which means the carb slides will pull up when you demand more 'go' giving the correct air/fuel mixture (assuming the jetting is correct of course).

However, with pod filters the velocity stacks are done away with meaning large quantities of air at a very slow speed is drawn in which won't lift the carb slides so much meaning the needle will always sit in a leaner position.

It's a bit like sucking in air with your mouth wide open and then doing it again with your lips pursed as if to whistle- the same amount gets in but the speed is different.

CV carbs need velocity (hence their name).

But having said all that if people can get them to run right then yep, they do look and sound great- so go for it.

DrD
22-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Have a read: http://www.ducatisuite.com/jetkit.html