PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar Jeans

bluestoesonnose
19-06-2014, 02:32 PM
The time has come for me to buy a new pair of Kevlar Jeans, anyone got any views on what's best and why.

I'm currently using a pair of Draggin Jeans, but I don't really like the baggy fit on the faster bikes.

Cheers
Blues

jonzi
19-06-2014, 03:06 PM
I have a pair from http://maplemoto.com/ pricey but good quality.

nuttynick
19-06-2014, 03:09 PM
I've got a pair from Hood. Made in the UK and they can adjust them to fit ;-)

Shuffy
19-06-2014, 03:17 PM
+1 for the Hood jeans. As Nick said, they'll adjust them for you free of charge and they just look like regular jeans (well mine do) which is half the point, is it not?

nuttynick
19-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Yep, mine look like normal jeans, the lining is 3/4 length throughout and the jeans have no visible stitching to show what they are. The give away on mine is I've got the optional top spec armour which is thicker than the stock stuff. But even that is held in place internally using velcro.

slob
19-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I got fed up with the same thing, so I'm having a go at adapting some Levi501s
http://www.thelasturl.net/img/501.JPG
I'll let you know how it turns out

jonzi
19-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I got fed up with the same thing, so I'm having a go at adapting some Levi501s
I'll make some for you too.

I said you could become a seamstress. As always I am correct.

utopia
19-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I had a cheap, but fairly decent pair from Lidl a couple of months ago but, as you say, they are usually a bit baggy.
In the end I took them back for a refund.
Instead, I use a pair if Hein Gericke leather "western jeans".
Ok they're leather but not too thick and so they're not so hot as a pair of proper, armoured bike jeans, so more pleasant to wear for longer periods and much better for wandering around in all day once you've arrived at wherever and don't want to spend the rest of the day in a "power ranger" suit.
No armour whatsoever mind you (though they do have safestich seams and suchlike). Some light armour could be retrofitted to the lining, but it still might not be mega effective as it could probably move around a bit. I haven't bothered.
Anyway, another option to consider, perhaps.....?

utopia
19-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Blimey, Rob.
Full marks for endeavour.
That's the sort of scheme I could well imagine having a go at myself.

bluestoesonnose
19-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all this, I think I'll go the Hood route as they're made in the UK. Size wise would I have to go up from a 34 to a 36 because of the hip armour?

Cheers
Blues

oomidamon
19-06-2014, 05:56 PM
I've got a pair from Grin Factor and all I can say is that they were cheap. I cot the optional armour with them but it doesn't fit into the internal pockets so I don't bother with it. I wouldn't recommend them.

nuttynick
19-06-2014, 07:31 PM
I kept to the same size for my Hood jeans, you can feel the thigh armour is tight, but it also feels like it'd stay in place better in a crash than if it was loose.

slob
19-06-2014, 07:44 PM
I kept to the same size for my Hood jeans, you can feel the thigh armour is tight, but it also feels like it'd stay in place better in a crash than if it was loose.

Exactly the problem I perceve with ill-fitting armoured jeans. The armour flaps about somehwere near the knee. I've crashed a pair of Lindstrand armoured jeans which stood up okay without any additional armour. A pair of regular Levis also withstood a 40-50mph slide, only losing a back pocket. Since the Levis are an excellent fit on me I thought that'd be a good place to start.

slob
19-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Patterns made from the old pair of Levis
http://www.thelasturl.net/img/Pattern.JPG

137gsm Kevlar and 125gsm mesh liner from ebay
http://www.thelasturl.net/img/Kevlar.JPG

New jeans, kevlar thread, velcro and ForceField secondary armour.
http://www.thelasturl.net/img/Jeans.JPG

figuring out the best way of putting it all together at the moment

jarv
19-06-2014, 08:02 PM
You have to be careful because there are Kevlar jeans and there are "kevlar" jeans.
A well know brand was recently advised that they are no longer allowed to call their jeans kevlar because they don't have a sufficient level of kevlar content to do so.
Kevlar is a brand name and the manufacturer has the right to control how their name is used.
Dragging jeans are more expensive - but have a good density of kevlar - which is at the end of the day the whole point of buying this type of clothing over "normal" jeans.
The "lesser" kevlar jeans are now legally required to remove the kevlar labels and must call them "aramid fibre re-enforced jeans".

You usually get what you pay for - and I think this is another typical example.

As for the armour moving, there's not a lot you can do with armour that is fitted to the jeans.
The best alternative is to wear the "tube type" armour such as is made by Forcefield or Dainese.

Dirty
19-06-2014, 08:06 PM
JB weld? .

bluestoesonnose
19-06-2014, 08:20 PM
You have to be careful because there are Kevlar jeans and there are "kevlar" jeans.
A well know brand was recently advised that they are no longer allowed to call their jeans kevlar because they don't have a sufficient level of kevlar content to do so.
Kevlar is a brand name and the manufacturer has the right to control how their name is used.
Dragging jeans are more expensive - but have a good density of kevlar - which is at the end of the day the whole point of buying this type of clothing over "normal" jeans.
The "lesser" kevlar jeans are now legally required to remove the kevlar labels and must call them "aramid fibre re-enforced jeans".

You usually get what you pay for - and I think this is another typical example.

As for the armour moving, there's not a lot you can do with armour that is fitted to the jeans.
The best alternative is to wear the "tube type" armour such as is made by Forcefield or Dainese.

Whilst I agree in principle, the Draggin jeans are so loose the armour will be little use and the Kevlar (which isn't all over, only in patches) can roll around the leg. Whereas the Hood jeans have a full Kevlar liner which will always protect, and they seem a closer fit which will prevent the armour from moving about. The best compromise would be real jeans with an under suit made from Kevlar and armour, bit like the MX armour.

jarv
19-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Whilst I agree in principle, the Draggin jeans are so loose the armour will be little use and the Kevlar (which isn't all over, only in patches) can roll around the leg. Whereas the Hood jeans have a full Kevlar liner which will always protect, and they seem a closer fit which will prevent the armour from moving about. The best compromise would be real jeans with an under suit made from Kevlar and armour, bit like the MX armour.

I agree - I was just using Dragging jeans as en example in terms of the quality of abrasion resistance compared to many other brands.

Cheers!

jonzi
19-06-2014, 08:42 PM
either way, the padding is usually a bit crap anyway.

I'd be happy that I keep the skin on my legs. Bouncing is going to hurt regardless.

my last pair of kevlar jeans did the trick for a 30mph slide.

Don't know what make as I dont know where I have put them.

BigOz
19-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Hood are now available with D3O armour too which is a bit more comfortable.

Dirty
20-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Anyone know where I can get Kevlar jeggings?

jerry
20-06-2014, 02:47 AM
Hood are proven and very high quality a nice little british company , I have 2 pairs .

bex
20-06-2014, 08:10 AM
I have a pair of Sartso jeans. They are very comfy and fit great and I think look ok too. I wouldn't go so far as to say they look like a regular pair of jeans.

Weirdly the womens versions don't come with armour inside, since women don't crash (clearly they haven't met me). I sliced open the inner lining and popped in some good knee armour from an old 1pc suit.

Wildfire
20-06-2014, 04:02 PM
I've heard good things about Hood and Kryano. But for the price, I'll just invest in some base layers and keep using my leathers.

slob
20-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm going to Italy next month, leathers simply aren't an option, nor are fully lined jeans

Dirty
20-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm going to Italy next month, leathers simply aren't an option, nor are fully lined jeans

Not the kevlar mankini again :eek:

Darren69
20-06-2014, 04:57 PM
With sandals?

Dirty
20-06-2014, 05:06 PM
With sandals?

As long as they are motosandals it's fine

Darren69
20-06-2014, 07:06 PM
As long as they are motosandals it's fine

That's what I meant, those that Kato posted, with the built in armour. :)

Nickj
20-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Not the kevlar mankini again :eek:

That sounds rather gross and leads me to think that a better idea might be a collection of kevlar cricket boxes. Knees, elbows shoulders and a thonged one to stop the tank rubbing.

Cool and accessorised :eek:

Thuli
21-06-2014, 12:31 PM
She who made it all possible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27951043

bluestoesonnose
27-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Hood jeans arrived today, well happy

:)