PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lever

Tilts
14-06-2014, 08:27 PM
HI,

trying to figure out why my front brake lever only pressurise's when the lever is half pulled in, and the lever will come right back to grip. I have good pads and discs, and have bleed all air out and new fluid. One thing it could be is the lever it's self, I dont think it an original, as on the clutch lever I can adjust the length of piston plunger with a small screw driver as its threaded, should the front brake be the same?

Cheers.

crust
14-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Be carefull 'adjusting' the threaded screw on the standard clutch levers, its quite easy to adjust it so the fluid won't return as the piston doesn't come back far enough and the clutch won't disengage.

On some of the levers the screw head is covered with a sealant to prevent it being adjusted.

From the above you can see why the brake lever isn't adjustable, having a front brake staying locked on isn't going to end well.

Darren69
15-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Mine have adjustment on both sides, but you just need to be careful to leave enough free play. I had a second opinion from an expert after I adjusted mine, just to be sure. Are you sure you've not got air trapped in the master cylinder, this is common and no amount of bleeding from the caliper will shift it, as the movement of the master cylinder isn't enough to push it down. Try bleeding the banjo on the master cylinder end with some rag wrapped around it and see if any air comes out, but be sure cover everything well as fluid will damage paint etc

Tilts
15-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks for your input guys, someone else also has mentioned about bleeding the Master Cylinder to, come to think of it we had the same issue on an old Le Man Mk2......ill give it a go later.

Thanks again.

Tilts
15-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Cracked the bango, no air in system. I think the issue is down to an in correct lever....keep an eye on the bay for one.