PDA

View Full Version : Snap On

jonzi
07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
I want to get something from Snap On

Anyone know a Snap On man or know how I can buy something from them?

Dirty
07-06-2014, 07:18 PM
I want to get something from Snap On

Anyone know a Snap On man or know how I can buy something from them?

Website, or pop to your local garage and ask them when the snap on man comes, they are usually regular.

popelli
08-06-2014, 06:58 AM
a lot of snap on stuff is now made in the far east

real nice stuff but unless you are a professional and can justify the price or nobody else makes that tool you can often pick up good nos / used brand name bits on fleabay at a fraction of the price, do this myself for any oddball sockets / spanners I need

steeevvvooo
08-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Halfords professional sockets are very good. People have said to me that a decent sockets set (like halfords) complemented with an couple of snap on sockets for the more common size bolts, is a good compromise. I still dont own anything snap on tho :)

Dukedesmo
08-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Halfords professional sockets are very good.

Lifetime guarantee - just don't lose the receipt or they won't honour it. :thumbsdown:

They must think I bought it more than a 'lifetime' ago...

Dirty
08-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Lifetime guarantee - just don't lose the receipt or they won't honour it. :thumbsdown:

They must think I bought it more than a 'lifetime' ago...

What broke? I've got a Halfords ratchet which is v good quality. I think for people that use tools as a hobby a few decent key pieces (ratchets etc) is enough. Cheap sockets do the job just as well for 90% of jobs.

utopia
08-06-2014, 11:00 AM
I have an old snap-on 1/2" drive ratchet which has been in use since the 1940s.
And I know for a fact that it has seen some fairly serious abuse during its long life.
It still functions as well as the day it was brand new.
Can't speak for the modern stuff though.

I've bought Kamasa stuff in the past which has also stood the test of time.

Nickj
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Local tyre changers snapped two snap on hex's on my caliper holding bolts, I must have put them in dry so I popped home and brought back my kasmas that did the job.
Buggered if the same didn't happen when pulling some bolts on our landie.
Some of the quality on snap ons isn't what it ought to be anymore when they were exclusivley US manufactired and the price premium seems mostly to cover the lifetime replacement guarantee.

Dukedesmo
08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
What broke?

The ratchet mechanism.

bex
08-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Email or call em and ask who's your local supplier:

UK CUSTOMER SERVICE

For information or help regarding any Snap-on or Sun products

Tel: (01553) 692422
Fax: (01553) 697254

Monday - Friday 8:45 am - 5:00 pm
or e-mail: techsales.uk@snapon.com

Snap-on Tools UK Customer Service

For information or help regarding any Snap-on Tools products

Tel: (01536) 413800
Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm

Dirty
08-06-2014, 01:24 PM
The ratchet mechanism.

Dam, have you tried writing to head office?

pegboy
08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Snap on are the best by far. I have a load of their tools I brought some as 20yrs ago and I had two screwdrivers replaced recently no questions asked. Yes expensive but life time world wide guarantee.

steeevvvooo
08-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Out of interest, do you need proof of purchase for a snap on replacement?

Dirty
08-06-2014, 06:28 PM

No, just return it to the man on the van

jerry
08-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Some Snapon is made in USA about 15% 45 % is made in snapon mexican plants and the rest is made by contracators such as Kamasa in taiwan or korean factories such as kaidon who can guarantee Quality control , not much is made for snapon in China .

Other makes of equal or even better quality are BETA italy,
Bahco sweden, also some excellent French and German makes

pompone
08-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Beta, MAC, USAG or Blue Point ( I think they're a second line from Snap-on, at least the snap on man sell them..) are just as good unless you're making a living out of it.

Dukedesmo
08-06-2014, 10:02 PM
I've bought Kamasa stuff in the past which has also stood the test of time.

I Have a Kamasa 1/2" drive socket set. It must be nearly 40yrs old and has been faultless, everything is still as good as new (other than the few bits that got lost).

rbt1548
09-06-2014, 08:02 AM
I Have a Kamasa 1/2" drive socket set. It must be nearly 40yrs old and has been faultless, everything is still as good as new (other than the few bits that got lost).

Kamasa, do indeed, stand the test of time. I was given one for my 21st birthday, 37 years and a good few restorations ago and although a bit battered the socket's are still serviceable but the ratchet was past its best an few years ago.

Last year as a present to myself I bought a Teng Tools Mecca Rosso MR101 set, after using one while working with my cousin, the quality is top notch. I also bought a Draper Expert Bit Set, containing Allen, Torx & spline bits, which is also good quality and, it's strange once you have something you wonder how you managed before.

It's definitely worth getting the best you can afford.

Dirty
09-06-2014, 08:23 AM
I used to have some facom bits n pieces, they were pretty top notch

Islander
09-06-2014, 12:44 PM
I'll add an honourable mention for Teng Tools as well. :)

nambduke
09-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Halfords.....rubbish. 2 of my ratchet spanners broke and because I don't have a receipt, they won't replace them!

Regards
Mark

jonzi
09-06-2014, 01:33 PM
All I wanted was a tyre pressure gauge!

The pencil style one (Slobs cue to gloat)

I figured if Slob could have something that is nearly as old as him, and it still be working and accurate then I would get the same one, as my pressure gauge is poop.

Couldn't see what I wanted on Ebay, so I will give Snap on a call. I was under the impression you had to see a Snap on man in his van though.

Cheers all

pegboy
09-06-2014, 02:29 PM

No I gave it to a friend who has a garage and when his rep came in he changed it no questions asked, they take the blade out and replace it, so the handle is the same

I also have MAC, and some teng

Dirty
09-06-2014, 04:16 PM
All I wanted was a tyre pressure gauge!

The pencil style one (Slobs cue to gloat)

I figured if Slob could have something that is nearly as old as him, and it still be working and accurate then I would get the same one, as my pressure gauge is poop.

Couldn't see what I wanted on Ebay, so I will give Snap on a call. I was under the impression you had to see a Snap on man in his van though.

Cheers all

Here you go http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=675693&store=uk dial guages are far more accurate though

Dirty
09-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Halfords.....rubbish. 2 of my ratchet spanners broke and because I don't have a receipt, they won't replace them!

Regards
Mark

Did you try contacting head office?

gary tompkins
11-06-2014, 06:07 PM
I have a useful contact for strap on products should the need arise

Dirty
11-06-2014, 06:18 PM
I have a useful contact for strap on products should the need arise

Similar life time guarantee?