PDA

View Full Version : How long should a helmet last for?

turbohobbit
04-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Slightly random question for y'all. I have a Shoei GT Air which I've had for about 15 months and I wear every day for commuting, so it gets a lot of use. I know from a safety perspective it's supposed to last 3-4 years (presuming no crashes, etc), but it's just starting to feel a bit tired. The padding isn't feeling as padded, the shell is scratched and the visor is a bit scratched too. I was just wondering how long a helmet should realistically last for in the "real world" if used day in and day out before it needs replacing.

Black Bob
04-06-2014, 07:10 AM
The padding isn't feeling as padded.

Normal.

the shell is scratched.

Not age related.

the visor is a bit scratched too..

Change it then? Normal to go through at least one visor a year.

I was just wondering how long a helmet should realistically last for in the "real world" if used day in and day out before it needs replacing.

3 years.

But if it no longer feels right, change it. The important thing is does it still fit? And did it fit properly in the first place?

don_matese
04-06-2014, 08:11 AM
I agree with Black Bob, if it doesnt feel "right" get it changed - by all means keep it as a spare - just in case - but get one that does feel right. Have a look at the midrange helmets instead of the higher ones if the cost is prohibitive.

I've also found matt finished shoeis show damage a lot more easily (its basically unvarnished paint that chips on any small knock or impact)

Albie
04-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Personally I think it depends on use. If I used it everyday max 2 years but I would be looking at the strap first for fraying etc. Obviously if I dropped it change it. I will keep mine 3-4 years as dont ride too often.

turbohobbit
04-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the guidance guys. It feels a bit looser than originally, but it still goes on with a shove and feels close enough. It's taken a couple of low level drops (once off the saddle, once off the bonnet of my car during the very windy weather) but nothing extreme. It get's used 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year....

Ok, I'll continue on and keep an eye. Visor will be replaced though!

Dukedesmo
04-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Arai reckon 5 years, at least that's the warranty they give. Personally I'm happier to keep mine longer as I don't ride every day and I think the biggest factor in deterioration (of the shell anyway) is exposure to UV light.

Obviously if it starts to fall apart inside or is dropped then replace it but at the price they are I'll be keeping mine a bit longer...

bex
04-06-2014, 09:52 AM
You can normally buy a new inner shell/padding depending on the manufacturer and model.

Nickj
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
The shell is to give abrasion and pointy object resistance.
The foam insert is to absorb impact.
The strap is to stop it falling off when any of the above are happening.
The lining is to make it a snug fit.

So on life span...
If the shell has had an impact it should be replaced
If you had your head in it at the time then the foam will have deformed a bit and it should be replaced.
If the strap is damaged it might break and fall off so it should be replaced.
If it's just got a bit loose over time then the lining foam is probably flattened and maybe the foam is too, you could get away with a new set of liners, assuming it's a reasonable grade helmet to start with and you can get new ones.

Mostly its the life span of the shell and lining, plastics degrade over time and get brittle so you loose the abrasion and pointy things protection. A very old poly carb shell can shatter and expaned foam isn't too good with abrasion. The 'classic' mob who run round using a period helmet from 20 odd years ago, you've seen them too in those slightly yellowed ex-white nolan cheapo helmets are just asking for a serve case of head gravel rash or brain damamge .
Glass and carbon fibre are very stable as are the resins used. Left to its own devices the shell alone will probably be in as good condition in 10+ years. You rarely see fibre boats falling apart and there are still reliants around with intact body shells, the materials are essentially the same. Carbon is more stable if slightly more brittle, fibre glass can absorb a little water if the gel coat is cracked or chipped which can make it delaminate (think old cheap plywood thats been left out in the rain) carbons not so prone to this. It gets worse for fibre used all year round, wind chill means any water thats sneaked past the chipped/cracked gel coat freezes and delaminates. Think conditions and wind chill factors, 70 at 0C means cold surfaces, effectively below -10.
Again expaned polystyrene foam will last for decades if it's left alone. However just pulling it on and off squashes the foam cells and they eventually flatten.

Any significant impact should mean replacement, significant will be your head hitting something at anything over walking speed.

sadbiker
04-06-2014, 11:25 AM
The shell is to give abrasion and pointy object resistance.
The foam insert is to absorb impact.
The strap is to stop it falling off when any of the above are happening.
The lining is to make it a snug fit.

So on life span...
If the shell has had an impact it should be replaced
If you had your head in it at the time then the foam will have deformed a bit and it should be replaced.
If the strap is damaged it might break and fall off so it should be replaced.
If it's just got a bit loose over time then the lining foam is probably flattened and maybe the foam is too, you could get away with a new set of liners, assuming it's a reasonable grade helmet to start with and you can get new ones.

Mostly its the life span of the shell and lining, plastics degrade over time and get brittle so you loose the abrasion and pointy things protection. A very old poly carb shell can shatter and expaned foam isn't too good with abrasion. The 'classic' mob who run round using a period helmet from 20 odd years ago, you've seen them too in those slightly yellowed ex-white nolan cheapo helmets are just asking for a serve case of head gravel rash or brain damamge .
Glass and carbon fibre are very stable as are the resins used. Left to its own devices the shell alone will probably be in as good condition in 10+ years. You rarely see fibre boats falling apart and there are still reliants around with intact body shells, the materials are essentially the same. Carbon is more stable if slightly more brittle, fibre glass can absorb a little water if the gel coat is cracked or chipped which can make it delaminate (think old cheap plywood thats been left out in the rain) carbons not so prone to this. It gets worse for fibre used all year round, wind chill means any water thats sneaked past the chipped/cracked gel coat freezes and delaminates. Think conditions and wind chill factors, 70 at 0C means cold surfaces, effectively below -10.
Again expaned polystyrene foam will last for decades if it's left alone. However just pulling it on and off squashes the foam cells and they eventually flatten.

Any significant impact should mean replacement, significant will be your head hitting something at anything over walking speed.

Very well put together. In all the years never really see it with such a good explanation.

utopia
04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Yep, Nick puts it well.

You say that your helmet has fallen twice, once off the saddle and once off the car bonnet.
Either of these would be enough to make me think about changing the helmet.
I never balance mine in an even slightly precarious position where this can happen.
You're much better off putting it on the ground.....though you might then get the occaisional spider crawling inside.

While on the subject, I also never entrust mine to those helmet/gear storage facilities at various events.
You can never be entirely sure that its been treated kindly (ie not dropped) by the operatives.

I know the accepted wisdom says different, but personally I'm happy to use a good quality helmet for 10yrs or even more, as long as its been well cared for.
I also tend to carry a helmet bag to keep it out of excessive uv when not actually in use.

Wildfire
04-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Yep, Nick puts it well.

You say that your helmet has fallen twice, once off the saddle and once off the car bonnet.
Either of these would be enough to make me think about changing the helmet.
I never balance mine in an even slightly precarious position where this can happen.
You're much better off putting it on the ground.....though you might then get the occaisional spider crawling inside.

While on the subject, I also never entrust mine to those helmet/gear storage facilities at various events.
You can never be entirely sure that its been treated kindly (ie not dropped) by the operatives.

I know the accepted wisdom says different, but personally I'm happy to use a good quality helmet for 10yrs or even more, as long as its been well cared for.
I also tend to carry a helmet bag to keep it out of excessive uv when not actually in use.

What Jeff said.

But I believe with Shoei, you can buy replacement padding (liner).

utopia
04-06-2014, 04:19 PM
That could be handy (both my helmets are Shoei) though I'm guessing its only the soft padding that's replaceable.

While on the subject, my two other helmet tips are.....
1) Use a cotton balaclava to keep the liner fresh. I have two and wash/alternate them frequently. I haven't noticed them making my head hot at all.
2) To remove bug splats, spread a wet kitchen towel over the visor and leave for 10mins or so to soften, then the flies just wipe off easily and without scratching either. My visors are both 6 or 7yrs old and have no noticeable scratches at all.

Oh, and pinlock "double glazing" visor inserts are The Business.

Dirty
04-06-2014, 06:51 PM
1st a thread about nuts, then a thread about helmets! It feels like christmas :mand:

As far as advice goes all I can add after such excellent answers is that it is worth taking very good care of and looking after your helmet. (I polish mine after every ride but that's probably going too far :) )

Hopefully it was a useless expense for all of us but if it wasn't then you want it to be in the best condition it possibly can be.

Nickj
04-06-2014, 08:22 PM
1st a thread about nuts, then a thread about helmets! It feels like christmas :mand:

:idea: How about a new thread combining both of these ... cricket boxes

Albie
04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Wet wipes from work does the trick on helmet and leathers too. That's Johnsons or another make which maybe as good

Black Bob
04-06-2014, 08:32 PM
I can't over-emphasise how brilliant those V2 sponges are for cleaning your visor.