PDA

View Full Version : Uprated fuel level sender nuts

final_edition
03-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Having been asked on another forum to make these, I have some left over which fit some monsters. I have fitted one to my S4.

They replace the weak plastic ones that crack and leak fuel.

Here is a link to them, hopefully they can be of use here.

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/forum/threads/uprated-fuel-level-sender-nuts.22947/#post-364530

Cheers,
Andy

Dookbob
04-06-2014, 01:12 AM
I just bought a steel 30mm nut and tack welded a flat washer on one end, job done for £4.
OK so it's a little heavier than an ally nut, just leave your loose change behind when you go out on the bike to even things up.

Dirty
04-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Final Editions nuts are a bit special though. Although I like the idea of your home fettled nuts Dookbob I would prefer to have nice, light shiny nuts on my bike. Scrimping on your nuts can be a false economy.

Although of course the idea of polishing your own nuts does have a lot of merit.

:)

Dookbob
04-06-2014, 10:07 AM
I would agree if this nut was on top of the tank rather than underneath it, but now that you have got me thinking about it, I might just give my nuts a quick rub.

Dirty
04-06-2014, 12:09 PM
I like to think that beauty should not only be skin deep and even though Final Edition's nuts are not generally on show they are the best and shiniest nuts possible.

Darren69
04-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I'll check mine tonight, make sure it's not split :)

Dukedesmo
04-06-2014, 01:21 PM
I'll check mine tonight, make sure it's not split :)

Get one before it splits. ;)

Otherwise you just know it'll split when they are no longer available and your only option will be to buy a complete sender unit which undoubtedly will be out of stock at the dealer and as it will be the start of the Italian shutdown in August your bike'll be off the road until October. Then the replacement (plastic) nut'll do the same thing again another year.. :biggrin:

utopia
04-06-2014, 01:24 PM
You wouldn't believe how skint ....but happy ;).... I am, and this is the only reason that I won't be buying one just yet.
However, for anyone who is serious about keeping their monster, this is an excellent albeit not very flash upgrade.
Nice one for getting them made.
The price is good too.
I will be getting in touch at a later date when cashflow improves.

Darren69
04-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Yes, me too. I plan to get one, just a bit skint until next month.

final_edition
04-06-2014, 03:30 PM
You could get a modified steel nut for £4!

Ya pays your money..

I can make another batch, when this one goes, if enough interest.

Capo
04-06-2014, 04:17 PM
My bike came with an aluminium nut

utopia
04-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Hmmmmm......I that doesn't leave you much scope for your usual upgrading to exotic materials though..........;)

Capo
04-06-2014, 05:49 PM
I bet the plastic one is lighter albeit prone to failure, so in this case performance takes the priority

final_edition
04-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Theres always ti.

Dirty
04-06-2014, 06:16 PM
For ultimate performance you may as well get rid of the weight of the sender completely as it's not a crucial part.

Darren69
04-06-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm about to check mine for cracks etc. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence or otherwise as to whether that part if plastic is prone to failure and would likely be the cause of some of the horror stories I've read regarding some bikes bursting into flames while riding?

Capo
04-06-2014, 07:19 PM
For ultimate performance you may as well get rid of the weight of the sender completely as it's not a crucial part.

But the fuel pump is

Dirty
04-06-2014, 07:39 PM
bikes bursting into flames while riding?

Now that is a cool mod :cool:

But the fuel pump is

Ah, every day's a school day. That probably explains why the bloody things hardly ever work then! :)

Dukedesmo
04-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm about to check mine for cracks etc. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence or otherwise as to whether that part if plastic is prone to failure and would likely be the cause of some of the horror stories I've read regarding some bikes bursting into flames while riding?

I know of several cases where the nut has split, mainly on 916 series bikes (some Monsters use the same part - at least mine does) and especially if the sender's ever been removed/refitted.

If they crack then the sender will leak so, due to it's location (directly above rear cylinder/exhaust) it could start a fire but you'd, hopefully, more likely notice the leak before that happened.

I bought an alloy nut a few years ago as a 'JIC' (Just In Case) spare for my 916 but never fitted it, when I built up the Monster I used it on there as the plastic nut's threads were knackered and I was struggling to get it tight enough to seal (they generally break whilst tightening).

I've just bought one of the OP's nuts :chuckle: to replace my JIC for use on the 916 which hasn't split but if it does I want to have a spare to hand, of course it may never fail but at 16 years old and subject to heat & fumes etc. it may well be on the verge? - I may even fit it the next time I change the fuel filter (pump assembly comes out the tank to do this) as a pre-emptive strike.

Darren69
04-06-2014, 08:10 PM
I just checked my '02 S4 Foggy and it seems to have been fitted with an aly nut. Mine was an early 02 poss 01 bike but seems to have been sorted in that area at least.

final_edition
04-06-2014, 11:31 PM
My S4 '01 had a plastic one that started leaking of it's own accord.

Dookbob
05-06-2014, 10:36 AM
I don't know who designs this s**t, plastic fasteners that are under stress and subject to repeated heat cycles have got to be a NO NO.

utopia
05-06-2014, 11:40 AM
If I remember correctly there was a case of a split nut on this forum a few months ago.
I was wondering at the time if I could make a replacement, but it wouldn't have been a particularly simple process and the price would probably have been at least as much as these if not more, and that wouldn't have included anodising either.
I'd definitely have one, but this close to WDW, all my finds are spoken for....and then some.

squarehead
06-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Arrived today thanks Andy, lovely piece of work.

:thumbsup:

final_edition
06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Cheers, Simon.

slob
16-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Got mine today too, thanks

Putney
12-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Hi Would the Monster 1100S and 749R come with plastic Nuts? If so I would take a set for each bike.