PDA

View Full Version : Snetterton 31st May - First time

modama
02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
After some time, I managed to get myself registered for the Snetterton 300 with No Limits for last Saturday. Being my first time on the track I went for the novice session. When it came to the track time, I was surprised at the speed that the rest of people were going; I thought novice was for people trying to learn some tricks on the tarmac and get more confidence but there was some serious racing in the novice group; a couple of my sessions were stopped because of serious crashes and two people had to be sent to hospital.

I am planning to go again at the end of this month and I am hoping the group will be a bit more sensible. I know track day is for going quick but also think that those people with 1000 jap and BMW RR1000 should try to go to intermediate and leave novice with exactly that, the beginners in terms of track time.

slob
02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
The intermediate group usually fills up first leaving people a fast/novice choice if they really want to book that date.
Novice doesn't necessarily mean first timer, a fluo vest may help let people know to give you a wide berth if you're nervous. No Limits are usually pretty good about enforcing polite overtaking at the very least.

jonzi
02-06-2014, 09:11 PM
People on BMW S1000RR can still be a novice.

a lot of people in the novice groups can go fast in the straights, but when they come to the corner they slow to a snail pace.

Best thing to do, imo, is to get some time with one of the instructors out there, follow them about for a bit, get some pro tips.

I started a thread in this section about trackdays others from here are doing, maybe come to one of those. meet the team and there is safety in numbers, we can always throw the keys away on the faster bikes!