PDA

View Full Version : Sun Blind

richy
22-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Hi,is it just me or do others find when the sun is out its very difficult to read the instrument panel the readings sort of become very faint, the bikes an 1100 evo 2013.

Black Bob
22-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Nope, it's not just you. If the sun's out then the speedo is unreadable and it is due to the reflection of the bar clamps. I've seen some just wrap some black tape around them to cut the glare, or you could try cutting up an anti-glare screen protector from a mobile phone.

Personally, I just accept it and resume looking where I'm going. :D

Dirty
22-05-2014, 03:28 PM
So never a problem with UK monsters then :)

Black Bob
22-05-2014, 04:08 PM
So never a problem with UK monsters then :)

Oh, I see what you did there. (Very clever.)

SunEye
23-05-2014, 01:37 AM
Nope, it's not just you. If the sun's out then the speedo is unreadable and it is due to the reflection of the bar clamps. I've seen some just wrap some black tape around them to cut the glare, or you could try cutting up an anti-glare screen protector from a mobile phone.

Personally, I just accept it and resume looking where I'm going. :D
Yes the bar clamps do reflect in the screen on the evo. This is due to them being 20mm higher than those on the M1100. Putting bar clamps from an M1100 on the evo resolves this and makes the riding position the same as the M1100 which I find to be more comfortable.

However this just stops the reflection of the bar clamps, the speedo remains unreadable when the sun is in the right place. I presume that this is the case for the 696 and 796 as well as the 1100. If you ever get caught speeding on a sunny day you could try using the inability to read the speedo as your defence ;)

I have thought about fitting an anti glare film to the speedo, but I really didn't give it more than a cursory thought. I know that Kawasaki used a yellow/orange film on the speedo of the Z1000, I presume to reduce this type of problem. I suspect the Italians thought about it but decided it looked pants so didn't do likewise.

To be honest the speedo on my evo is actually mounted at a slightly incorrect angle for me. It's something that I'll one day see if I can resolve. This might or might not make some difference to the illegibility in certain lighting conditions.