PDA

View Full Version : Carbon cans = low idle??

Dark-Jon
27-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Fitted a couple of carbon cans onto my bike this morning, and whilst out taking it for a run, found that it seems to idle lower than before. It used to idle around about 700rpm (lower than normal apparently, but I was happy with this), but now barely reaches 500rpm when warm. The engine temp got upto around 65C, well above when i normally put the fast idle lever fully back.

I heard somewhere that the 620ie has a pretty flexible management chip as standard, so is it just the really cold weather at the moment, or is it the newer cans? And if its just a case of upping the idle speed, how do I do that? is it just a simple thing to do or is it one of those 'plug the laptop in' jobbies? I'm pretty competent mechanicaly and know how to set up carbs etc, just need to know what to adjust

Cheers

Dark-Jon

superlight3
27-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi John.

After fitting open silencers to the 620 injection model you should have the CO reading adjusted using the Ducati diognostics computer. This only takes about an hour and will make the bike run considerably better.

As for the idle speed. It is possible that it will drop with these new pipes on as there is less back pressure and so the engine is breathing more freely. If you have a look at the right hand side of the throttle body assembly whilst twisting the throttle you'll see the cam-plate move and the stop-screw which will most likely have a yellow paint blob on it. You'll need an 8mm spanner to adjust it.

I'll post a piccie of the set-up tomorrow.

Cheers.

Lee.

Dark-Jon
27-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Cool, I'll sort the idle speed out myself and its due its 6k service sometime next month anyway so I can get them to do the CO then.

Thanks

Dark-Jon

Mr Cake
27-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Oh yeah! Dead good this injection crap!

Never had that problem with carbs.

Dave

Pedro
27-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Cat & Fiddler
Oh yeah! Dead good this injection crap!

Never had that problem with carbs.

Dave

I'll agree with that!!! Carbs rule - much smoother!

Ped

superlight3
28-01-2004, 03:52 PM
How do you put the photo here on screen?

superlight3
28-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Can't work that out so here it is..

COR
01-02-2004, 01:52 PM
I put high level carbons on my 620 then took it to the local dealer to check the running. They had to adjust it slightly and it didn't take them long at all - in fact I hadn't even finished my coffee when the mechanic came round to tell me that it was ready and that the power was now on par with the 750! Cost me about £40 for the check and adjustment.

Dark-Jon
01-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by COR
I put high level carbons on my 620 then took it to the local dealer to check the running. They had to adjust it slightly and it didn't take them long at all - in fact I hadn't even finished my coffee when the mechanic came round to tell me that it was ready and that the power was now on par with the 750! Cost me about £40 for the check and adjustment.

Cool, not too expensive is always good :D

The bikes booked in for its 6k service next weekend, they're gonna do it then. Just have to decide whether or not to open up the airbox and get a K&N air filter before then.....

to many decisions, not enough money!

Dark-Jon

COR
01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh yes, that's what else we did - the K&N filter kit came with the carbon dp cans. The kit modifies the box to take the filter. I wonder if this would sort your idle prob?

spidermonkey
01-02-2004, 03:17 PM
cat will you still be saying that when the cards ice:p
steve