PDA

View Full Version : Sound and Vision

Haynee
08-05-2014, 08:45 PM
After 5 years with a brilliant motorcycle - only a few days remain.
I'm changing my M696 to a Tiger 800.
The only thing I will not miss is the mirrors - which seem to just go loose on a whim.
Otherwise it has been a blast.... looks great and sounds great and that is what I will miss ....my main regret is not keeping it well coated/protected during winter as I commute daily, and the wear and tear is rough when you look closely.

I did test ride the new M1200...cannot really fault it but it just didn't WOW me and it doesn't come in black !
Also tried a Multistrada and while it is an excellent machine , all those TC,riding modes and Ohlins, etc are wasted on me...so a Tiger 800 gets the vote.
I was hoping to go for a new EVO 1100, but did not want to go second hand and reading about fuel consumption levels put me off a bit...BUT...I have a sneaking suspicion that sometime in the future I will sucumb.(I'm keeping my tank cover and tank bag...just in case) Air cooled is the best...

I have not been much of a contributor but did prowl regularly and enjoy the various posts.
So , good luck to you all from the Fair City, and thanks for your company...

Albie
08-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Im surprised by the alleged poor evo mpg. All I know with them seem to be happy. I get 150 miles per tank on my 1100 easily. Enjoy the dark side then

Black Bob
08-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Im surprised by the alleged poor evo mpg.

Fiction. 50mpg is easy. 44 if you rag it.

Albie
08-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Exactly. I know I don't ride fast but still briskly at times.:biggrin:

wezrvf
08-05-2014, 09:59 PM
I must be riding mine wrong. I will be pushing 120 out of a full tank ??

SunEye
08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Totally agree. I tend to average about 50mpg on normal rides and over 60mpg on very long motorway/daul carriageway riding across France and Spain. Which is better fuel consumption than my diesel VW Polo.

The mirrors on the new style Monsters are rubbish. They vibrate far too much to give you a clear view. I would always advocate changing them. Even cheap Rizoma rip offs give a clearer view for about £30.

SunEye
08-05-2014, 10:16 PM
I must be riding mine wrong. I will be pushing 120 out of a full tank ??
So your fuel light is coming on at under 90 miles? You can always over fill the tank a bit to help you go further. I estimate that you can probably squeeze in almost one litre more than the 13.5 litre tank size.

steeevvvooo
09-05-2014, 06:41 AM
I'll give you 6 months before you are back on a monster (or Ducati of some sort). ;) sounds like you have been bitten and it has got under your skin.

Many try the dark, but "sensible" side but most come back to the light.

Enjoy whatever you ride though :)

Haynee
09-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Steeevooo - I thknk it'll be more than 6 months, but I'm already getting pangs of regret, ....think it will be good for my riding to try something different.....and then in a year or two take a trip to the UK and find a mint BLACK EVO.....