PDA

View Full Version : Flames!!!

miked
26-01-2004, 12:49 PM
After cleaning my M600, I always start it up and run it briefly, incase water has got somewhere it shouldn't. This weekend, when I started it (on half choke), the instant it fired, small flames shot out of the exhausts (Sils). Looked very impressive but what causes this???

grunter
26-01-2004, 12:52 PM
It burns petrol (spark + fuel = flames) do you throttle it before turning it over?

miked
26-01-2004, 12:56 PM
No, just a little choke, then hit the starter. Never seen it before, and the large bang made the kids (and me) jump. I'm trying to think what was different, and all I can think of was maybe it was a little colder, I hadn't ridden it for 3 days. I have Sil Motos which have not be rejetted or anything like that, and am using Silkolene FST (80-100ml per tank).

grunter
26-01-2004, 01:04 PM
whats the worst that can happen(BANG) and more flames?

superlight3
26-01-2004, 01:06 PM
If there was a 'chip' for the injected bikes then everybody would have one!

Ever seen the 'Foggy' Petronas on over-run??

miked
26-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Look, don't get me wrong, I could sell tickets to the next one. Not as impressive as the FP1, but it looks great. Just wondered if I'm doing any damage to it.
How come injected bikes don't do it then???

I'll get the camera ready and will post some photos if it happens next time.

Blufoot
26-01-2004, 01:15 PM
I sent jmo an Mpeg of her 620ie spittin flames on the over run at a dyno.

she might be able to post a pic.

superlight3
26-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Carb'd Monsters do have a reputation for being 'difficult to start', anyone with an older 900 would most likely agree.

With fuel injection, the amount of petrol injected into each cylinder is regulated by the computer. On the carb models, a bit of choke, a bit of throttle and before you know it you've flooded the engine and filled the silencers with petrol fumes. B A N G !

Fantastic!

The FP1 most likely shoots flames because of either the vicious vlave timing (needed to try to hike up the ultimate power output) or some really, really dodgy injection set-up.

Cheers.

Lee.