PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 roads to ride your beloved monster in the UK.

Nev
26-04-2014, 04:49 PM
After a week trecking round the lake district and experiencing some of the most fantastic roads ive ridden to date. Im interested to know what other great rides ukmoc members can recommend here on our little island to make up a top 10 list..

This twisty was a serious underpant changer....amazing day.

https://db.tt/16rjWlme

https://db.tt/VeiTOeAB

Dirty
26-04-2014, 05:02 PM
2 of my faves

Blackwall tunnel
Rotherhithe tunnel

:)

wezrvf
26-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Great picks nev. it's a same we have to ride o far for old roads. I have to say I love heading over to South Wales, around Pandarosa cafe is great for a long day. Over to Settle and Malham Cove is also nice riding!

You enjoying he Evo then ??

Yorkie
26-04-2014, 05:12 PM
North Yorkshire - TT of the North.

Yorkie

Nev
26-04-2014, 05:23 PM
I know, to be honest I took the twisty A roads all the way 2hrs to Windermere through Skipton and North Yorkshire was a treat on its own. Not a motorway in sight after Ramsbottom it was great..need to explore Wales thats my next voyage for sure. Had to remove the o2 eliminators I got off ebay as they screwed her up switching from 2 cylinders to 1 and popping like crazy but shes running a treat now I took them off. How about yours you still in love ?

Nev
26-04-2014, 05:24 PM
North Yorkshire - TT of the North.

Yorkie

Have to agree drove through there on my way up to the lakes..awsome ride.

Nev
26-04-2014, 05:38 PM
2 of my faves

Blackwall tunnel
Rotherhithe tunnel

:)

Bet the cans sound good in there ?

Fatal
26-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Your second photo reminds me of my favourite bit of road
Hardknot & Wrynose pass

Alan H

Nev
26-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Your second photo reminds me of my favourite bit of road
Hardknot & Wrynose H

Think it was Hardknott Alan, was riding to Buttermere and stumbled upon it. The steep bit had me panicking a bit.

cactus
26-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Any road in Scotland mate, Scotland was made for bikes. Your lake district is a pale imitation of Scottish greatness.

Nev
26-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Any road in Scotland mate, Scotland was made for bikes. Your lake district is a pale imitation of Scottish greatness.

Is that an invite, everyone load up haha. Obviouse as that might be Cactus can you reccommend any particular runs South Scottland for us geographically less fortunate.

Slange..

wezrvf
26-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Yeah, still loving mine. Jut had it serviced and it is running a Treat. New tyres tomorrow then all set for summer :)

Do you have the DP ECU with the Termis then ?

bex
26-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Love love love Wales.

A483 is a particular favourite.

Nev
26-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Yeah, still loving mine. Jut had it serviced and it is running a Treat. New tyres tomorrow then all set for summer :)

Do you have the DP ECU with the Termis then ?

Not yet mate on my list of summer upgrades with a tail tidy, I still like the stock cans at the mo. Have you got them ?

Nev
26-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Love love love Wales.

Cheers Bex Wales is looking like a strong contender, Loving the logo

cactus
26-04-2014, 07:56 PM
You're welcome to come here at any time to experience the mountains, glens, lochs and well paved challenging roads. Remember to include your whisky head for post bike riding fun. :drunk:

Nev
26-04-2014, 08:02 PM
https://db.tt/DyAfY0Na
https://db.tt/tsf8G6pd

Found this little Oasis on my travels through the lakes, cool place to chill after a long ride.

neilo
26-04-2014, 08:09 PM
North Wales... Even better when you stay off the main A roads... Happy to show you a great day's riding around this (my) neck of the woods...

Nev
26-04-2014, 08:10 PM
You're welcome to come here at any time to experience the mountains, glens, lochs and well paved challenging roads. Remember to include your whisky head for post bike riding fun. :drunk:

Haha sounds good pal ill bring my hip flask then ! :booze:

Nev
26-04-2014, 08:18 PM
North Wales... Even better when you stay off the main A roads... Happy to show you a great day's riding around this (my) neck of the woods...

Cheers Neilo guided tour of your back yard sounds like an offer i carnt refuse. Wesrvf are you getting involved ? Might as well start planning the summer now..

Dirty
26-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Why does that remind me of that old joke

I'll be having a party, there'll be drinking...... :chuckle:

neilo
26-04-2014, 08:33 PM
I pretty much ride EVERY weekend (provided it isn't chucking it down, or I choose the better day)...either with my local bike club, or on my own. It's my hobby :)

I've previously posted my rides/guided tours on here, with not many takers, but just give me a shout when you want to ride...Sat or Sun, and I'd be very happy to show you a great day out. These roads are made for the Mevo :)

wezrvf
26-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Would love a guided tour of North Wales! Count me in :)

wezrvf
26-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Sounds great!! :)

Nev
26-04-2014, 08:45 PM
I pretty much ride EVERY weekend (provided it isn't chucking it down, or I choose the better day)...either with my local bike club, or on my own. It's my hobby :)

I've previously posted my rides/guided tours on here, with not many takers, but just give me a shout when you want to ride...Sat or Sun, and I'd be very happy to show you a great day out. These roads are made for the Mevo :)

You had me at day out... next dry day thats convenient for everone were on !

If anyone else fancies it the more the merrier I say.

Nev
26-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Why does that remind me of that old joke

I'll be having a party, there'll be drinking...... :chuckle:

Unlikely Dirty hes a Scott their rarely sober. Went drinking with a Glaswegian once....big mistake !

Dirty
26-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Unlikely Dirty hes a Scott their rarely sober. Went drinking with a Glaswegian once....big mistake !

Yes, the joke was about a Scots man, and an Englishman..............

But believe me, pro's they may be but they have nothing on the Lithuanians! :booze:

Nev
26-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Back to topic... Top 10 uk rides/roads ? Im saying Hardknot pass Cumbria untill I find better in either Wales, Yorkshire, Scottland or any other suggested regions.

manwithredbike
26-04-2014, 09:46 PM
just back from west donegal and the twisty mountain road around errigle which looks a bit like your pic (only much nicer :) ). that's my favourite local run though it's not just quite in the uk.... but it's in ulster

neilo
26-04-2014, 10:06 PM

Fine with me :D

Nev
26-04-2014, 10:14 PM
just back from west donegal and the twisty mountain road around errigle which looks a bit like your pic (only much nicer :) ). that's my favourite local run though it's not just quite in the uk.... but it's in ulster

Looks like a good spot, never visited that side but love Ireland especially Cork.

Got any pics ?

Nev
26-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Correction ! The images shown are Buttermere pass not Hardknot pass.

Fatal
26-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Im with you Nev
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p537/Fatalhud/70168c97-0fdb-4fed-a0d5-26b3dfd6010a_zps059f5264.png
Has to be done in both directions.
The flatter section Between Wrynose and Hardknott is to die for.

Fatal
26-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Correction ! The images shown are Buttermere pass not Hardknot pass.
Honister (Buttermere) pass is good, but not a touch on Wrynose/Hardknott
If you get a chance to do it, tell me what you think

Alan H

solomoto
26-04-2014, 10:47 PM
The A686 from Penrith to Hayden Bridge, or the reverse. Brian Johnson of ACDC said it was his favourite. After riding it I am inclined to agree.

:thumbsup:

Nev
27-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Im with you Nev
http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p537/Fatalhud/70168c97-0fdb-4fed-a0d5-26b3dfd6010a_zps059f5264.png
Has to be done in both directions.
The flatter section Between Wrynose and Hardknott is to die for.

Damb it ! I was so close too. Just watched a youtube vid of Hardknot carnt believe I missed that run.

Nev
27-04-2014, 08:18 AM
The A686 from Penrith to Hayden Bridge, or the reverse. Brian Johnson of ACDC said it was his favourite. After riding it I am inclined to agree.

:thumbsup:

A635 Greenfield to Holmfirth is a shorter version of that near us with awsome views. The A686 looks a good ride to but do they qualify in the top 10 ? Look forward to riding that one.

Thanks Solomoto :)

manwithredbike
27-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Looks like a good spot, never visited that side but love Ireland especially Cork.

Got any pics ?
if you're ever in the vicinity, give me a shout, i'm your man for a run around the hills of donegal
will be back and forwards to there over the next few months, must get a few pics with the bike in them and post up.

MrsC_772
27-04-2014, 03:45 PM
A40 in Brecon Beacons, A470, A483 mid Wales, even the A5 up around Betws-y-Coed.

Around Moffat in the Scottish Borders (I forget whether it was the A70 or A701 which was particularly good).

Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough B6047 (even though there are quite a few 40 and 50 limits these days).

Brackley via Buckingham to Winslow and Aylesbury (on a good day, without diesel and dithering drivers and tractors) is not bad for the south of England.

Wasta
27-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Living in Durham I have N Yorks, Lakes and Northumbria on my doorstep. Fantastic ,reletively empty roads.

My favs are the A686 as Solomoto says, it has everything on it. Helmsley TT Great Ayton to Helmsley.

Pezz
27-04-2014, 10:35 PM

count me in - just gotta get major service (belts valve clearances etc) out the way in next couple of weeks and then I'll be well up for a blast round north wales - just as long as you don't mind captain not so quick tagging along ;)

Nev
28-04-2014, 06:49 PM
A40 in Brecon Beacons, A470, A483 mid Wales, even the A5 up around Betws-y-Coed.

Around Moffat in the Scottish Borders (I forget whether it was the A70 or A701 which was particularly good).

Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough B6047 (even though there are quite a few 40 and 50 limits these days).

Brackley via Buckingham to Winslow and Aylesbury (on a good day, without diesel and dithering drivers and tractors) is not bad for the south of England.

Moffat..thats some ride for you from Farmborough. Your Hardcore !

Thanks Mrs C

Nev
28-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Living in Durham I have N Yorks, Lakes and Northumbria on my doorstep. Fantastic ,reletively empty roads.

My favs are the A686 as Solomoto says, it has everything on it. Helmsley TT Great Ayton to Helmsley.

Lucky bugger, talk about rubbing salt in....

Nev
28-04-2014, 07:02 PM
- just gotta get major service (belts valve clearances etc) out the way in next couple of weeks and then I'll be well up for a blast round north wales - just as long as you don't mind captain not so quick tagging along ;)[/QUOTE]

Scouser ..hell no ! haha only kidding thats great Pezz look forward to meeting you. Dont worry im not dropping any knees yet and want to see the Welsh landscape not feel it. :)

Mohawk
28-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I spent the last weekend in North Wales and agree with Bex the A483 has to be one of the top 10 biking roads in the UK. Brilliant cafe at Crossgates for a pit stop before doing it all over again :-) Also enjoyed the A4212 to Bala. But there is plenty of great roads all round Snowdonia to keep you amused for the weekend.

The B5053 near Buxton in Derbyshire is also a brilliant road.

SunEye
29-04-2014, 12:44 AM
There are lots of great roads around and I can't decide which I like best so here's a big list from across the country. I am sure I have forgotten lots of other great roads I have ridden, but these are ones that I have ridden many times.

Aberdeen/Banff/Inverness
A939 Ballatar to Grantown-on-Spey

Edinburgh/Roxburgh/Cumbria
A7 Edinburgh to Carlisle

Northumberland/Roxburgh
A68 Corbridge to Jedburgh

Warwickshire
A444 between A5 and M42

Buckinghamshire
A413 Aylesbury to Buckingham

Northamptonshire
A43 M40 to A5 (I find the roundabouts fun ;) )

Somerset
A396 Dunster to Tiverton

West Sussex (plus a bit of Hampshire)
A283 Shoreham to Petworth
B2141 Lavant to South Harting
A272 Billingshurst to Winchester

Elmo
29-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Love love love Wales.

The 483 between Newtown and crossgate 23 miles of good twisty Tarmac with a good Bakewell tart in the cafe at crossgate end.

ROB04
29-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Was at the PONDEROSA today near llangollen , nice ride out from Manchester area . Heading down A49 to Whitchurch and then across into Wales , only takes about an hour and the roads are great . Horseshoe pass is a good blast and some fantastic views , plus you can have a brew and something to eat at the ponderosa cafe .

neilo
29-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Was at the PONDEROSA today near llangollen , nice ride out from Manchester area . Heading down A49 to Whitchurch and then across into Wales , only takes about an hour and the roads are great . Horseshoe pass is a good blast and some fantastic views , plus you can have a brew and something to eat at the ponderosa cafe .

Glad you had a good day out. Alas, the Ponda (as us locals call it) is only the tip of the iceberg... :mand:

Goofle
29-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Love love love Wales.

Yep..............

Goofle
29-04-2014, 10:04 PM
The 483 between Newtown and crossgate 23 miles of good twisty Tarmac with a good Bakewell tart in the cafe at crossgate end.

Yep again!
Did it Sunday morning. I woke up sober, negative hangover, and did this route. Pity it rained on me. Didn't find the cafe though. Shame really, was rather nippy...
Ps why is it as soon as fix one issue (Eg bent bars, buggered clutch) I get another- another trout clutch, buggered speedo??
The run made the think. Has anybody done a trip of British riders home towns, eg Knighton, Blackburn etc?

Nev
30-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Jealous Rob been grafting all day hearing bikes outside, glad to know of another Monster in Manchester. Neilo is kindly giving a few of us a guided tour of North Wales at some point if you fancy getting involved.

Nev
30-04-2014, 06:31 PM
A483 is getting good reviews . Is that on the tour itinerary Neilo ?

Nev
30-04-2014, 06:37 PM
There are lots of great roads around and I can't decide which I like best so here's a big list from across the country. I am sure I have forgotten lots of other great roads I have ridden, but these are ones that I have ridden many times.

Aberdeen/Banff/Inverness
A939 Ballatar to Grantown-on-Spey

Edinburgh/Roxburgh/Cumbria
A7 Edinburgh to Carlisle

Northumberland/Roxburgh
A68 Corbridge to Jedburgh

Warwickshire
A444 between A5 and M42

Buckinghamshire
A413 Aylesbury to Buckingham

Northamptonshire
A43 M40 to A5 (I find the roundabouts fun ;) )

Somerset
A396 Dunster to Tiverton

West Sussex (plus a bit of Hampshire)
A283 Shoreham to Petworth
B2141 Lavant to South Harting
A272 Billingshurst to Winchester

Great list suneye. Really fancy the A7 to Edinburgh castle, sounds immense.

neilo
30-04-2014, 07:39 PM
A483 is getting good reviews . Is that on the tour itinerary Neilo ?

A483 is a major route through North and Mid Wales, so you can't miss it...but there are nicer roads ;)

SunEye
30-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Great list suneye. Really fancy the A7 to Edinburgh castle, sounds immense.
From Manchester you would be able to ride to Edinburgh and back in a day. Personally I would go across north Yorkshire and pick up the A68. Join the A7 at Galashiels and head to Edinbugh. On the way back take the A7 all the way to Carlisle. It's probably a 450-500 mile roundtrip, so achievable in a day.

neilo
02-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Tomorrow's looking nice... I might go for a ride... Anybody is welcome to join me... Message me if you want to tag along... :)

bluestoesonnose
02-05-2014, 07:28 PM
For me and quite close are the Atlantic Highway and the old A30

Pezz
02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Tomorrow's looking nice... I might go for a ride... Anybody is welcome to join me... Message me if you want to tag along... :)

I wish I could join you tomorrow but bike not serviced yet. It's going in to Ducati Manchester on Tuesday so from next weekend weather permitting and the missus granting a pass out I'll be taking you up ;)

Nev
03-05-2014, 09:46 PM

Neilo
Only managed an hour today in between gardening, im screwed this month getting ready for an expo in London and my wifes birthday is in there somewhere. I can do next weekend or the end of the month it it works for everone and the sun gods bless us with a nice day.